Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Basic mecp test

stumpyturtle is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Basic mecp test

Hey, just wondering if anyone has recently taken the MECP basic install test. I'm studying the guide right now trying to become an autotech, I'm pretty much a noob at everything. Anyone got any tips or specific things to study on the test?

CrossoverOre is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Basic mecp test

I have not taken it recently but am going to go for my advanced soon. Just make sure to make good notes especially on things you may not be real comfortable with. The note taking will help implant the ideas better. Also reading the material several times will help. Good luck.

CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Eh......took mine in 98....

Some things have prolly changed since then...lol.

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks, the Ohm law formula confuse's me a bit o.0 Yeah the senior autotech where I work said alot of things have changed. When you guys took it what questions did they ask the most? It's multiple choice and true or false so I'm sure as long as I study and use process of elimination I'll have a better chance at passing.

CrossoverOre is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah a lot has changed. especially the size of the book. I took mine in 2000 and was surprisingly easy, but I went to II and took the course before the test. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I think most people are already MECP certified on the forum here by their helpful advice

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

7. Likes RangerDangerV2 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah that's true, it seems like alot of people on here can pass the test no problem. When I read some of the stuff on here i'm like "hey that's in the book"

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

i should take it for fun.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    i should take it for fun.
    you prolly made the test...

1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

11. Likes Dr. Slam liked this post
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

bummer you have to be associated with a business to take the Advanced test.

there is a test on July 18th about an hour from me. i'll be studying for my Professional Engineering exam July - October (300 hrs or so). but if i'm free i'll try to drop in on it. $85 for the test isn't too bad.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As you are referring to "autotech", the first thing that comes to mind is best buy. If this is not the case with you, feel free to ignore the rest. If so, there is a test that can be taken on there as a practice and if you pass, you get a voucher for the cost of the actual test. From what I understand, it is a pretty good prep test. I work sales there and tried to take the practice to get the voucher for the test. Not so much to work installs there, although I'm sure I'd prefer it to the sales floor, but more so, just to have it and have them pay for it instead of me. Oddly enough, the only people that can access that test are those who are already in the system as "autotechs". So one must apply to that position first, before being able to take advantage of that. Says a lot about the company if they'll let someone install prior to being certified and not let others get certified before actually working in the bay lol. This being said, we have 3 installers there and only one of which I would ever let near my car lol.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I am referring to best buy lol. I'm not an autotech I've been at the company for a while and I want to make a move so they gave me the book to study and LOL you got ohms law chart on your signature. If you take it let me know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

glancing over the material, i'm not concerned about the test. how it goes for me isn't a fair representation for the general public. i'm a nerd.

CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

When I took it in 98, I recall some questions on alarms and security stuff that had me a lil befuddled. Can't remember for sure.

Lot of it is wiring, ohm's law, reading wiring schematics.....symbols for capacitors, and coils in a crossover, frequency, box design, thiele small parameters and what they are......

thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

I actually still have the study guide from 98.....

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

17. Likes stumpyturtle liked this post
    maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    bummer you have to be associated with a business to take the Advanced test.

there is a test on July 18th about an hour from me. i'll be studying for my Professional Engineering exam July - October (300 hrs or so). but if i'm free i'll try to drop in on it. $85 for the test isn't too bad.
    Always wanted to do that. Got as far as getting the referral letters from professional associates (in CT you need 3) and the EE study guide, but never applied for the exam. I'm told it's the most difficult exam an EE can take and that only 30% pass first time around. Good luck with it and if you pass be sure to post braggin' rights.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast