Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Speaker choice and installation help needed

Heat21 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speaker choice and installation help needed

I have a dodge challenger 2012 and am looking to upgrade the stock speakers. How do I figure out what size will fit in my car? Also any suggestions on some good speakers. Thanks

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: Speaker choice and installation help needed

Go to Crutchfield.com and use their 'outfit my car' function.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

plan on >$300 per speaker pair, components where possible.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

All_Logix is offline Formerly CivicGTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Something to consider. If you are going to upgrade the speakers and looking for a nice brand, you wont really get to experience how nice they really are unless you run them on a seperate amplifier than the HU. As for brands, I can't tell you much without knowing your budget but I am a fan of Hertz, Image Dynamics,and some Focal. It would also be helpful to know what type of music you like in order to recomend a good speaker.

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

If you are keeping your stock head unit(or stock amplifier, if applicable), find out what the rms wattage per channel is and match it up. If it has components in the stock locations go with that. If not, find coaxials. I would suggest the Boston SE line of speakers. Excellent sound for wallet friendly prices, and they don't require a lot of power to sound nice. Crutchfield has them on sale, too.

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    If you are keeping your stock head unit(or stock amplifier, if applicable), find out what the rms wattage per channel is and match it up. If it has components in the stock locations go with that. If not, find coaxials. I would suggest the Boston SE line of speakers. Excellent sound for wallet friendly prices, and they don't require a lot of power to sound nice. Crutchfield has them on sale, too.
    no bad advice man , if you have no stock components in the car now ,look at convertible components ,they will be your best option in that case not coaxils

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    no bad advice man , if you have no stock components in the car now ,look at convertible components ,they will be your best option in that case not coaxils
    Sorry mylows... didn't know it was bad advice. He didn't mention anything regarding amplification or even a head unit, so I didn't want to suggest something that would end up being underpowered and thus ****** sounding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

double post

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)

coaxils should only really be used as rear fill and only off deck power in most cases. some of the higher end models will take an amps power , but not many.convertible components are still comps but can be used as coaxils,because you can mount the tweeter in the mid,so this way you get a much better set of speakers that will take the power needed to sound good

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

coaxils should only really be used as rear fill and only off deck power in most cases. some of the higher end models will take an amps power , but not many.convertible components are still comps but can be used as coaxils,because you can mount the tweeter in the mid,so this way you get a much better set of speakers that will take the power needed to sound good
    what if he doesn't have power? no mention of anything powering them.... and most peoples ears aren't as spoiled as yours, lol. You get to hear extremely high quality on a regular basis and many people that come on here for advice on replacement speakers aren't looking to go that high-end.

919motoring is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That Car has 6x9 front and rear. You have to be careful on real deep 6x9 they may drag on window. If you are looking at a inexpensive solution You can absolutely run a coax all the way around. For the best sound look into converting your fronts to a 6.5" component and find a location up higher on the door sail panel or A-pillar for the tweeter. What is your budget? Plans for new stereo or addition of amp?

SOLD TO: CLpwner, RidnClean, Seth_3515, Alex JB, KYBOY, itsbmw, HeatSeeker, Fast1one, family

BOUGHT FROM: djman37

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 919motoring View Post
    That Car has 6x9 front and rear. You have to be careful on real deep 6x9 they may drag on window. If you are looking at a inexpensive solution You can absolutely run a coax all the way around. For the best sound look into converting your fronts to a 6.5" component and find a location up higher on the door sail panel or A-pillar for the tweeter. What is your budget? Plans for new stereo or addition of amp?
    i'd do the conversion of the 6x9 to 6.5 ,will sound way better.

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    what if he doesn't have power? no mention of anything powering them.... and most peoples ears aren't as spoiled as yours, lol. You get to hear extremely high quality on a regular basis and many people that come on here for advice on replacement speakers aren't looking to go that high-end.
    there are some lower end models that will sound just fine and you'll still have the components . cdt has a set for 150 shipped

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

All_Logix is offline Formerly CivicGTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

there are some lower end models that will sound just fine and you'll still have the components . cdt has a set for 150 shipped
    Ive heard pretty good things about CDT. I would second the conversion from 6x9 to 6.5. It is pretty simple, Im sure you can even find a prefab conversion plate. Round cones just sound more natural

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

All of cdt's stuff looked like it was meant for more power than a stock system would give, but if you say so I would believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by CivicGti View Post
    Ive heard pretty good things about CDT. I would second the conversion from 6x9 to 6.5. It is pretty simple, Im sure you can even find a prefab conversion plate. Round cones just sound more natural
    Plus, I don't see any 6x9's from them that are shallow mount...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast