Closed Thread

Reload Thread: issues with alpine cde-hd137bt headunit

bobtherider123 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

issues with alpine cde-hd137bt headunit

so i just bought this alpine cde-hd137bt headunit and wired it up. nothing out of the ordinary, the common wire colors and manual to instal it. got it all wired up and its sounds mediocre like a really generic headunit.

the main issue is that the fan on the back of the unit didn't work at all until i reset the unit using the tiny button under the face plate. also the rear heat sink gets ridiculously hot, hot enough to burn you like a soldering iron would. it gets this hot even with the fan on.

also when i turn the volume up to 19 out of 35 which isn't actually that loud on any setting(radio,BT phone calls, aux,usb) it will start to break up like its going into a protect mode. the screen doesn't shut off or anything weird on the screen it just starts to sound like a skipping cd.

i have even tried direct wiring to the battery thinking that maybe the factory harness wasn't giving it enough juice, thats how its acting.

anyone had these issues before?

All_Logix is offline Formerly CivicGTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: issues with alpine cde-hd137bt headunit

This sounds alot like the internal amplifier is having issues. The best thing you can do to isolate if the cause is because of the HU or the vehicle electrical system is to wire it up on a power supply outside of the vehicle and see if you are getting the same problem. If it heats up and malfunctions on the bench its more than likely a lemon, if not check the ground to make sure there isn't a substantial voltage drop there. But because you are getting the same issue from your source...my money is on bad HU

bobtherider123 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: issues with alpine cde-hd137bt headunit

Ok I figured it out, I don't understand it but I figured it out. I had to remove the component crossovers for the tweeters. The components are infinity reference. I hooked them up with out the cross over and over all the radio sounds a lot louder and clearer and no longer breaks up.

Only thing I can think of is maybe the HU filters were fighting the crossovers and the crossovers were winning causing the HU to go into protect. Not rely sure, but it sounds great now and has way to many great features

Closed Thread