Closed Thread

Reload Thread: I keep blowing speakers tired of wasting money PLEASE HELP!!!!!

ntagita is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I keep blowing speakers tired of wasting money PLEASE HELP!!!!!

So im gonna preface by saying Im a total noob at this so take it easy.

Ive always installed my own stereo systems because I cant stand someone else working on my truck. the patient is a 2008 nissan frontier and two weeks after I wanted to install a stereo but they didnt make a harness for it yet so I cut the stock harness, identified the constant power and key on power and found a ground on the dash and got the deck to power up. I ran some rcas to my amps and after alot of really weird problems finally got system that worked but had a ton of feedback.

When I couldnt stand it anymore, I broke down and took it to a local audio shop, paid them $100 dollars and all the did was run a wire from the ground post on the back of the deck and wrapped it around the metal of one of my rcas going to my indoor speaker amp. it got rid of most of the feedback so I was happy and rocked that system for about 2years until I lost my job and had to sell it.

Once I got a new job, I went to buy a new system but I have to use my truck for work so I cant put the box for subs back in so I wanted a bulletproof component set and some sick 6x9s. Id always heard good things about fosgate so I decided to go with their power series. I put their t1693 6x9s up front and put a t1652 component set in with the 6.5s in back and the tweeers in the dash with a almani alch-400 400w 4 ch amp to power them. the speakers are rated at 4 ohm and 100 w rms and the amp is a 4 ohm and 100wx4ch so i thought it should be perfect. oh yeah and kenwood deck.

So the problems started when I first installed he system and got that annoying feedback. I tried to replicate what the audio shop did and ran a wire from the ground post on the back of the deck and wrapped in arund the rcas. the feedback was gone and I was happy.

About a week later I blew one of the 6.5s so i replaced it. about a month later, I blew another 6.5, so I replaced it. About a week later I blew a 6x9 so I finally removed the ground on the back of the deck, replaced the 6x9, and dealt with the feedback. And it worked, for about a year.

About last week, I blew one of the 6.5 speakers and two days later blew the other one. I went to a different audio shop and asked for their advice. they advised I replace the amp and pay them $100 to go over the system. I said f that, Ill replace the amp and see what happens. I bought a fosgate pbr300x4 4 ohm 300 w 4ch amp and re ran the power wire as far away from my rcas as I could and the feedback was gone!!!!

However, I figured a weaker amp would ensure that I wouldnt blow the speakers but, **** it its a weaker amp and it sounds weaker. Also, Im getting this weird noise out of the right side 6x9 and it sounds like the tweeter is cutting out on the 6x9.

this is where te weird stuff comes in. when I adjust the deck to only the right side, the tweeter problem goes away. when I unplug the right rear rca, the tweeter problem goes away. And when I unplug all of the rcas and only connect the center conducter of the rcas the tweeter problem goes away but i get that annoying feedback.

None of this sounds like the way its supposed to work. I just want a good sounding system that isnt gonna blow. I was happy with the performance of the almani amp but I dont wanna blow speakers. I was thinking about putting the almani amp back in and just buying some burlier speakers that I cant blow (when i bought the fosgate powers, I was old I would never blow them). I need some advice as to where I should go with this, I dont wanna spend thousands and I REALLY dont want to take it to a shop. any input would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Re: I keep blowing speakers tired of wasting money PLEASE HELP!!!!!

What are the amp settings?

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Clifs?

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

BrownVanMan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

sounds like the gains arent set correctly and/or amp is overrated

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the Almani amp it had built in crossovers that I turned off to let the full range go to the 6x9 as they are full range speakers and let the crossovers for the component set filter out the highs and lows that they needed. Also, there were switches for bass and treble boost that I had turned off (I figured any adjusting that I wanted to do should be through the deck). I had the gain turned to halfway because I figuredthat should be a safe setting. On the new fosgate amp it has a switch for 2 or 4 ch mode, I have it set for 4ch with the gain at about 3/4 (with the gain at half way the amp is really not imressive at all).

Im looking into getting a new component set as my 6.5s are blown and just upgrading the 6x9s at the same time and using the almani amp. I was happy with the sound that the fosgate set put out but it sounds to me like I need a set that can handle more power. Any recomendations?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the clifs:

I was using an Almani alch-400 amp with fosgate t1693 6x9s and a fosgate t1652 component set. I blew the 6.5s twice and the 6x9s once. replaced the amp for a fosgate pbr300x4 and Im getting wierd noise outta one of the 6x9s and im not happy with its performance.

Im thinking about putting the almani back in with a better set of speakers, but I need some recomendations.

Closed Thread