Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Here is an idea for cheap battery terminals.

truckramrod is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Here is an idea for cheap battery terminals.

Product Results - ADR11-21

I bought a pack and installed on my DEKA 9A31 and worked like a charm, all I had to do was drill out the center hole to 3/8" and they bolted right on. The aluminum conducts very well and the screws are easyto tighten and seem pretty resistant to stripping out.
    Made the battery install look clean and could probably be made to work with side post batteries.
    I bought 2 extra sets and may try it on a side post.
    The best part?
    $4.60 plus tax for 2 at Home Depot

95 Sonoma Ext Cab 4.3L 5spd, Dual alts Tenney 270 amp alternator and 240 amp H.O.alts, 4 DEKA AGM batteries
    Pioneer deh8400 rsd250.2 powering Infinity Kappa60.5 comps and Morel coaxials
    7.2 cube net wall 2 crossfire XSv215s and 4 bb2400.1s.
    Daily Driver: 1995 Buick Park Avenue "leather couch on wheels"
    JVC KD-HDR60 Aura RPM2300 on Opti5.1 comps and Planet Audio zr300.4 bridged on Morel Ultimo 6X9's
    REFS: AMPJUNKIELIKEME, SERJR711, ZEUSILICIOUS

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)

Re: Here is an idea for cheap battery terminals.

used them before ,they are ok

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

How do you currently have yours set up?

95 Sonoma Ext Cab 4.3L 5spd, Dual alts Tenney 270 amp alternator and 240 amp H.O.alts, 4 DEKA AGM batteries
    JVC KD-HDR60 Aura RPM2300 on Opti5.1 comps and Planet Audio zr300.4 bridged on Morel Ultimo 6X9's

BNolan12 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice design. How have they help up?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

just installed them. I went from heavy dimming on 1200 watts to almost none with the 9A31 and they have a good strong connection. It will work well and look very clean when I install all 3 of my batteries.

BNolan12 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I may have to give it a try when I get my new bat.

brandinooooo is offline Woot Woot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm do they have them in anything other than aluminum? Not a huge fan of aluminum due to its conductivity being only about 60% compared to copper. Ill look for the article to source

HU - Kenwood KDC-HD545u
    Front Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Rear Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Sub - HDC318 6cuft tuned to 35
    Amp - Audiopipe 1500d

MY BUILD LOG - http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/526429-02-tahoe-aq-build.html

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

um, i would go back and check on that. sounds about right figure for ampacity. my friend has tons of those lying around. used them on his install, too. gets them from setting up gen-sets and breaker panels. main ground lugs and buss-bar lugs. if you brush them first before making contact, it will cut down the oxidation barrier fro better contact.

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

brandinooooo is offline Woot Woot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akheathen View Post
    um, i would go back and check on that. sounds about right figure for ampacity. my friend has tons of those lying around. used them on his install, too. gets them from setting up gen-sets and breaker panels. main ground lugs and buss-bar lugs. if you brush them first before making contact, it will cut down the oxidation barrier fro better contact.
    Me? If so, Yeah I'm looking for the article or w/e on it. I can't seem to find it yet but it compared most metal's resistance, conductivity, melting point, thermal handling etc.. It had a good amount of info if it was relatively accurate.

HU - Kenwood KDC-HD545u
    Front Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Rear Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Sub - HDC318 6cuft tuned to 35
    Amp - Audiopipe 1500d

MY BUILD LOG - http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/526429-02-tahoe-aq-build.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Electrical Conductivity of Materials

Aluminum is much better then lead terminals and likely most brass plated terminals and terminal plated with other corrosion resistant metals.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akheathen View Post
    I will probably use a die grinder with a scotchbrite pad to remove the coating and possibly drill the hole out slightly to remove the tin plating.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

you could., but unless it is visible, a stainless brush will knock down the coat ok. no harm in scuffing better, though. just like when mag brazing aluminum. years back, I've learned about the conductive properties (surface and core) corrosion resistance, thermal limitations, etc. probably the same or similar article. based on actual thorough scientific test data. from what i remember: among most common metals, silver and aluminum rated the highest in conductivity. in fact, aluminum was utilized for half a century in homes and automotive, due to both it's cost, and conductive properties. there would be less of a voltage drop over long runs. however, it's ampacity is real low, corrosion resistance is horrible, and both these factors lead to more of a fire hazard, and short life-span. for example- 1/0, or 2/0, (don't remember which) has a rated ampacity of mere 60a now, copper, is pretty much in the middle of the scale, i believe right above gold, which brings me to the next point. the most surprising thing i have seen to most people, is that gold is altogether not as conductive as you would think. so, why does it make for an excellent terminal/contact coating? well, it's unique properties provide 2 key benefits. first, we all know of it's high corrosion resistance. who has ever seen corroded gold? second, it has an uncanny ability to stick well to itself, literally, the contact it makes forms an electrical bond between 2 pieces, and somewhat of a good bond to other metals. look up magnet wire ratings, and compare the wire resistance of different materials of the same thickness. think about just how short copper mag wire is in a 4ohm coil, and then how long it is in an aluminum coil.
    edit: i stand corrected. had to go back and look it up, and mag wire rates aluminum lower than copper. 1.6 times more aluminum than copper for the same rating.... i'll have to research more...
    Last edited by akheathen; 02-10-2012 at 12:32 AM.

i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

13. Dislikes slim2fattycake disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truckramrod View Post

Aluminum is much better then lead terminals and likely most brass plated terminals and terminal plated with other corrosion resistant metals.
    that is marine application, which is quite different ratings and code.

i buy broken amps....
    -Heath H-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truckramrod View Post

why can't i delete my double post?

i buy broken amps....
    -Heath H-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

well the metals conductivity ratings are still the same as well as the abundance of cheap plated terminals that have less conductivity.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast