Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: f-150 Big 3 Help

camdogg4570 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

f-150 Big 3 Help

Ok, so i have a 1997 f-150 and im putting in a 130 amp altenator. I'm planning to do the Big 3 with 4 gauge wire also, but I've run into a small problem...... There are two wires that run from my altenator (I do not know why there are two wires, if you have any idea please let me know) and they run to a Maxi Fuse then to the battery +. Basically, the Maxi Fuse is what stands in my way to doing the Big 3. I don't know where to get a new fuse or what I should do to run the wires and keep the fuse. It is a 170amp fuse, and I don't think i can "reuse" the old Maxi Fuse because the connections seem to be to small for 4 gauge wire. If you have any idea of what I could or should do, PLEASE let me know! I need help ASAP. Thanks.

Tek18 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: f-150 Big 3 Help

i suggest 1/0 gauge for big 3, and also pics would help!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'll try to get some pics up tmro.

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^^Agreed...go with 0/1 or 0/2 power cable when doing the big three. Most stock wire is 4 to 8 gauge so that's not much of an upgrade. This will ensure that your upgraded alt is pushing the max current to your battery as possible. One wire is the charging wire (alt to battery) the other??? Most alternators I have worked on are one wire alternator. I would use a full size ANL fuse holder. Pics would help. That wire going to that fuse is probably the right gauge for that rating. Also, I always leave the original wires in place and add on my 0/2 AWG on the big 3.

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

^^^ So leave the wire thats already there and just add the new wire?

accuab is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea just add the new wire and leave the original intact.

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yup. For instance if you replace the alternator charging wire to battery leave the old charging wire in place. Place the your new wire and run it along with the old wire. Yes, this helps with routing as well. Make sure not to change the wire that is going to your under hood fuse box. That is an OEM wire that you should not change or add to. Some people remove it and some keep it there. I have done the big 3 on all my cars and probably about 40'ish other vehicles. Post a pic a pic where the other wire is that is coming from your alt (not the chargin wire) or find out where it leads and post back.

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ok, well in that case i could probably just attach the new wire to the point where the old wire is crimped to the fuse......now to find a way to do this lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before you do that show a pic to the fuse. You should have a wire going from the alt to the battery. This is the one you want to add onto. Make sure to fuse this wire. This is one of the 3 wires of the big 3. The other two are the battery ground to the engine chassis and the other is the battery ground to the vehicle chassis. Since you are upgrading your alt...you are actually doing a big 4...LOL

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

^^^^Lol yea you're right! Well, I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow around 10:00 or 12:00 if you happen to check them out and have an idea of what I could do, please hmu. thanks btw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll look tomorrow. Oh...that sounds like me..up to odd hours doing installs. It's a lot better now..got a heated 2000 sq ft pole barn (metal bldg) so I can work in there all through the year!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ok so here's a pic of the fuse that is on the wire that goes from the alt to the battery.
    f-150 Big 3 Help-fuse.jpg
    1. Power Network Box Megafuse
    2. Altenator Megafuse
    3. Altenator Field Minifuse

So 2 is going from alt to batt. I dont know if i should just hook up the new wire to the 2 fuse or what???

sciontistbb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just run wire from your alt directly to battery with a ANL fuse. I wouldn't touch or crimp to any wire in the pic you have posted.

Here is a video for example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82xRzCr-lc
    Last edited by sciontistbb; 01-29-2012 at 05:11 PM.

2005 Scion xB
    Head Unit: AVH-X4600BT
    Highs: Infinity Reference 4"
    Front Stage: Infinity Reference 6.5"
    Rear Fill: Infinity Reference 5.25"
    Sub: Sundown SA12D4
    Amp: Brutus BRZ1200.1D
    Underhood: Diehard Platinum AGM
    Quote Originally Posted by EnemyxXxGhost View Post
    Why would I want a mono block, I'm running 2 subs...the 4 channel is bridged down to 2 chs

14. Thanks camdogg4570 thanked for this post
    Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Is it a 4.6l?

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

@sciontistbb So should i leave the wire that's already there and just add the new 4 gauge with the fuse but run it directly to the battery??? Or take out the wire from the altenator and add the 4 gauge to the battery with the fuse???

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

@Buck Yep it sure is a 4.6l

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast