Closed Thread

Reload Thread: newbie: is it worth trying to install a 4 ch. speaker amp myself?

wickedmax is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 newbie: is it worth trying to install a 4 ch. speaker amp myself?

just curious.... i have (4) 6.5" alpine type S coaxials, and im not happy with the sound quality at high volumes (which im guessing is b/c its underpowered by a sony HU), so im gonna give them a Profile CA440. it would prolly cost as much as the amp ($85) to get it installed at my local cartronics,,, is it a hard install for a newbie? I will be mounting it in the trunk of my nissan maxima. and i don't want ANY wires showing. any links for directioins or anything would be awesome guys... or even personal experiences.

allyourblood is offline kill the fakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: newbie: is it worth trying to install a 4 ch. speaker amp myself?

i did mine last week, and it's only the second amp i ever installed. if you're careful and patient, you will be able to do it yourself, and it'll turn out better. i don't give a crap what anyone says, it's NOT HARD. it just takes a little while to get it all squared away. btw, other than my subs in the trunk, and my amps mounted behind my seats, there are ZERO wires showing. it appears completely stock.

i keep intending to post links of my install, but i always forget to get it done when i have enough daylight. if i can remember it tomorrow, i'll show you some smutty CA440 pics.

abe m.

chronicblazen is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey, when hooking the inside speakers to an amp did you rewire all of them? how long did it take and how much did you hafta take off the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i did rewire the whole car (it's the only way to get some decent wattage to your spkrs -- the factory wiring's too small). the rear speakers were a snap (obviously, because they were in my trunk & exposed), but the door speakers were a bit of a bastard. i've heard that certain cars are easy to wire up in the front, but my little Civic has almost no clearance between the car and the door, so getting into the grommets was kinda tough. however, even after all of this, it only took me a total of 4 days (about 8 hours, all told) to completely rewire the whole car, mount & install the amp, and return everything to its stock appearance. it took me so many days because i was stopping by my dad's house after work each time, so i could use his garage and tools (apartments can really ****).

if you start early enough, and have all the materials and tools you need before you begin, you could be done in one day, FOR SURE. heck, i figure if i did it again on another Civic, i could knock the whole thing out in about 5 hours.

abe m.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as for "taking stuff off the car", i had to remove the door sills running the length of both sides of the car to hide the speaker wires (i'm sure you've already done this once if you have subs, so it's no problem). they snap out and back in in a few seconds -- at least, in my car. other than that, i had to remove the flex looms and grommets the cover the wiring running from my doors to my car (right next to your door hinge -- the carry the power to my power windows, old speakers, power locks, etc...) to add in my new wiring. lastly, i had to remove the door panels to guide my new wires thru and down to the speaker locations. i guess that's it. nothin' major.

abe m.

bigwheel15 is offline Ooh Yeah!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Just try to install it yourself, it will be much more rewarding knowing you can and if you run into a problem you can always use this forum.

zerohertz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can definitly do it yourself. All you need is an amp installation kit and some extra speaker wire. It will probably cost you about $30. Run the power wire (red/blue) to your + terminal on the battery and through the fire wall (Make sure you fuse it near the battery). Then, run ground wire (brown) to an unpainted metal area in your trunk. Then run a remote wire and RCA to the back of your head unit (Plug RCA into the rear outputs and krimp the remote to the AMP TURN ON wire that shouldn't be connected to anything yet). Disconnect all the speakers wires from the back of the head unit (8 total). The from each speaker in your car, run speaker wire into a channel of the amp. Make sure your amp is on full or high pass. (Full for bass/mids/highs, or High for mids/highs). There should be a diagram on the back of the amp installation kit.

brandontw is offline just some guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ya, do it yourself but dont rush, Dont stress if your car is in peices while your driving to work for a week or maybe two. just take your time and do it right.

Closed Thread