Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 2009 silverado amp/sub install problem...

Absolute Dan is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2009 silverado amp/sub install problem...

I recently installed a rockford fosgate 2-channel amp, and 10" sub in my truck. It is a 2009 chevy silverado crew cab, with factory bose 7-speaker system. I purchased a modulator to tap into t he speaker wires on the factory amp, to convert to rca's. After spending a ton of time on this install to research wires, check power, and make it as neat as possible, I fired it up and the sub sounds terrible. I'm 99% sure of the amp and sub being ok as they worked fine before this install. I double checked the sub's ohm's, a 4 ohm sub reading 3.6 ohms. I have a 8 gauge wire ran directly of a fused connection from the battery to the + of the amp, the ground directly to a frame bolt with no paint between, and the remote wire directly to the remote wire/power antenna wire from the factory system. The modulator wires come from the factory amp listed wires, and I have checked the polarity on both the input and output wires. The sub sounds like it is blown when plugged in, with a terrible distorted sound with the music. HELP PLEASE???

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

Re: 2009 silverado amp/sub install problem...

Settings on amp and box specs?

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Absolute Dan is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Varied the gain, hz and level, starting low to high, and 1 cubic foot box. The changes only increase the noise level of the distortion.

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

Hmmmm maybe something in the RCA's

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1410 Post(s)

You are going to have to Bypass that fact amplifier.You are running both amp supply to that ch it sounds like to me.I had an issue with a 20o6 camaro with the same issue, and I ended up pulling the HU, and existing amp and put amps, and new HU,and utilized the stock speakers for a bit.It saved me a headache,and after 3 weeks of bs,everything sounded great, and I was quite pleased.Im not sure how to bypass the existing amp, as it is supplied poss by the HU.In that car it was, yet, someone on this forum should know the right LOC to use for adding external amps/power.I think the issues lyes within that HU, as I had.Though I could be wrong.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

sounds like a problem with the loc install. is there adjustments on them? iirc, that is a center console sub located behind the cup-holders under the dash. it works well to just unplug that sub and use the wires to feed the loc. leaving the sub attached, or not at least using one coil (iirc, should be a dvc) for the loc alone will lead to feed-back, as the sub will act as a mic and pick up what the new subs play, or even door closing and feed it right back into the amp to be played again. if you tapped into signal wires, then the loc is not going to work quite right recieving a low signal, and at the same time stressing the source, which can create distortion in itself, which would in-turn likely result in damage to the source. now, you are calling it a "modulator"..... um, if you really did get a modulator, please post a link, or brand/model, as the only modulator that comes to mind, is an fm modulator, that used to be used all the time to send an rca signal into your fm antennae to play on the stereo vi radio station, and will likely do all kinds of wierd things, and again, likely damage to something....

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

AlterEgo99 is offline Streaming consciousness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Have an '08 Silverado with the same 7 speaker Bose system...bypassed everything, ripped out the OEM head unit and replaced with Alpine H/U, all new speakers, new speaker wire, subs under rear seat, 2 amps and Big 3 wiring...don't bother fucking with the OEM GM shit, not worth it.

Eddie Izzard: Squirrels always eat nuts with two hands, always two hands, "arararar", and occasionally, they stop and go...oh, uh, ah, as if they're going, "Did I leave the gas on? No! No, I'm a fucking squirrel!"

8. Thanks audiobaun thanked for this post
    akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

hmm, we seem to like the oem stuff for daily just fine, and keep the nice features as well.....

i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

AlterEgo99 is offline Streaming consciousness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akheathen View Post
    hmm, we seem to like the oem stuff for daily just fine, and keep the nice features as well.....
    I would love to know what you mean by "nice features". GM may name their audio stuff under Bose but it is el crapola. My install involves much nicer equipment and way better sound...and I was able to keep things like door chimes, OnStar and satellite radio. It's all good bro.

Eddie Izzard: Squirrels always eat nuts with two hands, always two hands, "arararar", and occasionally, they stop and go...oh, uh, ah, as if they're going, "Did I leave the gas on? No! No, I'm a fucking squirrel!"

JJL715 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

your pushing an amplified signal into a preamp input!! not good!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JJL715 View Post
    your pushing an amplified signal into a preamp input!! not good!!!!
    um, a loc is designed to CONVERT a high level source to a low level LINE OUT. hence, the name "line out converter"(loc)

actually, delco and delphi are pretty nice, as far as oem equipment build goes, way better than clarion, etc. and about the "bose".....um, you are right about one thing- bose equipment by itself is crap....the whole lot of it. however, it's engineered quite a bit. i know i can get more/better features from aftermarket, but the stock gm stuff already sounds real good for allot, and less money and headache for many. i have piles of nice heads, but i'm happy with the way it is.... and it's easy enough to even integrate aftermarket stuff to the factory equipment. i've gone both ways many times, and both have ups, and downs, and "worth it" is up to the owner to decide.

i buy broken amps....
    -Heath H-

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo99 View Post
    Have an '08 Silverado with the same 7 speaker Bose system...bypassed everything, ripped out the OEM head unit and replaced with Alpine H/U, all new speakers, new speaker wire, subs under rear seat, 2 amps and Big 3 wiring...don't bother fucking with the OEM GM shit, not worth it.

x2..there is NO integration worth a fk! Car audio is either stand alone or GTFO !

That being said,I need to get working on my 2011,OEM radio is for ballscheese

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

....a nd just how much is every single owner going to invest to go full stand-alone, and keep the features vs the $12 option? not even worth it most of the time, especially when you can get about 4k worth of power for the same price, and still sound decent.

i buy broken amps....
    -Heath H-

Closed Thread

User Tag List