Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reload Thread: What's so wrong about mounting amp on sub box?

CAT MAN is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2373 Post(s)

Re: What's so wrong about mounting amp on sub box?

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    If your amp is damaged do to being mounted on the enclosure there is only 2 reasons for this.

1. Enclosure flex. This is builder error
    2. Amplifier part failure do to manufacturer.

I have had amps on enclosures including 160+ setups with zero issues. I even tested an AQ3500.1D in a recessed amp rack in an enclosure and we didn't even bolt it down...just let it flop around. Still no issues after being used for 3 months daily.
    and you talk about misleading info?

lol

you're right mount all amps on the box. we know nothing here.

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

If your amp is damaged do to being mounted on the enclosure there is only 2 reasons for this.

1. Enclosure flex. This is builder error
    2. Amplifier part failure do to manufacturer.

I have had amps on enclosures including 160+ setups with zero issues. I even tested an AQ3500.1D in a recessed amp rack in an enclosure and we didn't even bolt it down...just let it flop around. Still no issues after being used for 3 months daily.

However, in the end it is up you or who ever on where it is mounted. As long as the amp fits that is all that matters.
    I have had both of my amps mounted on the box you built for me for over 1 year now - no problems at all. No rubber washers, nothing - just screwed down nice and tight.

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT MAN View Post
    and you talk about misleading info?

lol

you're right mount all amps on the box. we know nothing here.
    I understand you don't like it when someone disagrees with you but disregarding others info proves what? I stated what my experiences were and what typically causes issues with amps being mounted on enclosures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

The real issue with amps breaking is flex on the board of the amplifier. That stress is what will damage something. This can happen installed anywhere in the car not just on the enclosure.

CAT MAN is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2373 Post(s)

I understand you don't like it when someone disagrees with you but disregarding others info proves what? I stated what my experiences were and what typically causes issues with amps being mounted on enclosures.
    disagreeing is nothing. its online. I jut dont like someone as smart as you And supposedly as concerned for new members lead them into thinking something is right when plenty of times has been proven false.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2018 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by accuab View Post
    I've seen a lot of posts on here stating not to mount an amp on a sub box due to vibrations possibly causing damage to the internals of the amp. How much of a problem is this really? Almost everyone I've seen with subs had their amp mounted on the box buy I can't remember anyone saying they ever had a problem with it. And say the amp is sitting right beside the box - the vibrations are just as bad there as on the box. Then I see the rear seat mounts but people say that's bad for the amp as well. So from what I've read here, having an amp in a car anywhere is bad for it. Does that sound about right?
    I must say I used to feel the same way.... I think for your typical best buy type equipment it's not a big deal still.

Most of the amp repair people seem to reccomend against, and I even recently asked Stephen Mantz about it, and he said it's NEVER a good idea to mount an amp to the box. I take what he says regarding amps to the bank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT MAN View Post
    disagreeing is nothing. its online. I jut dont like someone as smart as you And supposedly as concerned for new members lead them into thinking something is right when plenty of times has been proven false.
    It has been proven right and wrong several times. Which would lend itself to say that it is 100% install specific.

The comments I made still are true. The factors I listed for reasons amplifiers are damaged is still true.

Millions of amps ride around daily mounted to enclosures with zero issues.

I'm sure there are still thousands that are damaged daily.

Ending result would suggest that it is install specific and if proper care is taken when placing an amplifier on the enclosure there will not be damage. If the board flexes(amplifier board) then it will likely be damaged.

JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    412 Post(s)

Mounting my SK-1500.1 to my box costed me $135 and 10 years behind bars

MOUNTING ON THE BOX - NOT EVEN ONCE

** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    I must say I used to feel the same way.... I think for your typical best buy type equipment it's not a big deal still.

Most of the amp repair people seem to reccomend against, and I even recently asked Stephen Mantz about it, and he said it's NEVER a good idea to mount an amp to the box. I take what he says regarding amps to the bank
    That would be the ideal situation(mounting else where), but to say you can not at all is bit extreme is what I'm getting at.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2018 Post(s)

That would be the ideal situation(mounting else where), but to say you can not at all is bit extreme is what I'm getting at.

Agreed, don't do it if you can possibly avoid it; If you must, take great care that that side of the box is solid as a rock.

stevew007 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

if you have to ask such a stupid question you deserve to have your amp go up in smoke.

also to all those that have done it with no problems!!! well you system ***** then and you are not loud.

yeah vibration might be every where BUT not as much as sitting on the source.

REF'S 96maxgle, LcKmyblls, djman37, nomad40, el_chupo_ , jep772, got focus?, platestacker45, randyrsx, duece212,DB_DRAG_SPL, ProjectPechkin

http://www.myspace.com/colorado_basswarz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

here is another one for all the stupid people out there.

MOUNTING YOUR AMP ON RUBBER FEET WITH A SCREW FROM THE AMP TO THE BOX DOES NOT WORK. IT STILL HAS A SOLID MOUNT VIA THE SCREW.
    use your brains for once and you wont be asking stupid questions on the forum

REF'S 96maxgle, LcKmyblls, djman37, nomad40, el_chupo_ , jep772, got focus?, platestacker45, randyrsx, duece212,DB_DRAG_SPL, ProjectPechkin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevew007 View Post
    if you have to ask such a stupid question you deserve to have your amp go up in smoke.

also to all those that have done it with no problems!!! well you system ***** then and you are not loud.

yeah vibration might be every where BUT not as much as sitting on the source.
    I'm sorry mid to high 150's on music is not up to par.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

I'm sorry mid to high 150's on music is not up to par.
    ooooohhhhhh on music thats a different story ..... what ever!

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

It has been proven right and wrong several times. Which would lend itself to say that it is 100% install specific.
    The factors I listed for reasons amplifiers are damaged is still true.

Millions of amps ride around daily mounted to enclosures with zero issues.

I'm sure there are still thousands that are damaged daily.

Ending result would suggest that it is install specific and if proper care is taken when placing an amplifier on the enclosure there will not be damage. If the board flexes(amplifier board) then it will likely be damaged.
    i support this message.

when given any unknowns, than 100% recomend ever doing it. that's the best answer you could simply give. just don't do it.
    Agreed, don't do it if you can possibly avoid it; If you must, take great care that that side of the box is solid as a rock.
    as mentioned, it does come all down to the specific equipment. yes, it is possible, just like you can mount some amps (even without fans) on the bottom side of your rear deck without any heat build issues, yet the answer will always be that it's not good to do for that reason. one of the most effective factors on the vibration damage, is that 90% of the time, you will not even know that it has happened until sometimes years, and 3 other vehicle/builds later when it fails. if you loose one , or even several power supply fet legs, many amps can continue to operate on the remaining components, with simply lower power, while over-stressing what remains. dry connections on torroids, chokes, inductors, caps, and outboard components are the most hazardous, because there is no real way of telling most of the time, without visual, and sometimes even needing continuity and manipulation to be evident. what they can and sometimes to lead to is the joint bl0wing a hole in the board. i can actually show you pics to this effect, but i have to find links online, or upload when i get home, or overnight, as the connection is not good enough here at the mine. i can tell you this, more than 80% of the amps i repair have said dry connections in them, and some supprise the heck out of me when i really expect to see it. it is one good sign of the average life use of the amp.
    bottom line, if the amp internals are properly supported to secure any joint flex/stress, if the solder used is of a good grade, if the box is nearly flex-free, and the amp is on a part of the plane that is the most rigid.... IF you can guarantee these things, then i would imagine that it is actually the best place to mount the amp, since the whole car will be vibrating from the box, as is the main goal. i highly doubt most people will be able to guarantee these things, though. as for the rubber feet isea, well, that is half-azzed. it is 100% correct that only putting something that will give between the amp and where it is mounted, will only force the screw/bolt to chafe it's way through the amp feet and what it is mounted to. aside from amp repair in my spare time, i am a heavy truck diesel mechanic. you need to be a vibration master to mitigate damage. i often see wire loom chafe right through the steel or wire/etc that it was put on to protect. you can use a flex/dampening mounting, but it has to flex between the amp and the mounting plane. so, you put the rubber or whatever on both sides of the amp feet and run the screw/bolt through the center. a collar/sleeve in the center for the screw to clamp down solid works real well, and allows more flex in the joint, without having to clamp the rubber super-tight.

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Tag List