Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reload Thread: What's so wrong about mounting amp on sub box?

alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: What's so wrong about mounting amp on sub box?

i double-backed my box. the first layer is the back made of 3/4 mdf, and then a layer of dynamat. then another back of 3/4 mdf. look into doing something like that

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ladysmanfelpz View Post
    K thats what i thought, but my cvx still hits pretty hard. I think the hushmat will do for now but I do want to upgrade to rubber feet here soon. 2 channel up top gets a lil hot and a lil extra space off the carpet should also help to keep it cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    I have my AQ1200 and AQ120.4 mounted on top of my box now in my car(on rubber grommets). Only because I dont have any other place to put them. In my truck I have the box between the 2 seats with amps behind both seats.
    I never understood the rubber spacers logic. Above all else, the amp is fastened on there with a screw or nut and bolt. That's how it's secured. Your amp is going to vibrate just as much as that screw/bolt, which is vibrating just as much as your box. And if it doesn't, that means it is chattering against said screw/bolt, creating even more vibrations.

The biggest benefit, in my eyes, for spacers is to create some seperation from the box not for vibrations, but for airflow and cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

Sleeklsc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    I never understood the rubber spacers logic. Above all else, the amp is fastened on there with a screw or nut and bolt. That's how it's secured. Your amp is going to vibrate just as much as that screw/bolt, which is vibrating just as much as your box. And if it doesn't, that means it is chattering against said screw/bolt, creating even more vibrations.

The biggest benefit, in my eyes, for spacers is to create some seperation from the box not for vibrations, but for airflow and cooling.
    Perhaps, but it will vibrate less with the washers. Not saying it won't vibrate at all, just less vs mounting the amp with zero cushion.

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    However, if you have a violent setup(creates a lot of force), you amplifier will be subjective to vibrations regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    there is no place to mount your amplifier in a car that it will be free from vibrations....
    Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    Exactly!!
    Ah, but if you have a truck you can mount the amp in the bed which isn't pressurized and save it from the vast majority of vibration.

u jelly?

Stupid Loud.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbcaprice305 View Post
    Perhaps, but it will vibrate less with the washers. Not saying it won't vibrate at all, just less vs mounting the amp with zero cushion.
    Yeah, but it's got to be a negligible difference. The amp is directly coupled to the box via that screw/bolt. Those rubber washers are pretty stiff, and if they are soft your amp is constantly bouncing between the screw/bolt and the washer, which is worse.

Maybe it does make a big difference, who knows. But I refuse to believe it until I see some proof.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

6. Thanks goingdef thanked for this post
    >>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ladysmanfelpz View Post
    K thats what i thought, but my cvx still hits pretty hard. I think the hushmat will do for now but I do want to upgrade to rubber feet here soon. 2 channel up top gets a lil hot and a lil extra space off the carpet should also help to keep it cool.
    Ok is so long to you and hard to type that you have to abbreviate it to "K"??? How lazy are you?

Your 400 watts is nothing to worry about. I have mounted amps to sub boxes many many times over the last 20 years with no problems.

My current setup has over 1,500 watts going to the subs with both my sub amp and front stage amp mounted to it for over a year now, not one issue.

You will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

whoa come at me bro. Guarantee you are lazier than me. Ok is an abbreviation too. Ill make sure to right out the full word of "okay" next time, k?

But thanks for the info. Think Ill put some hushmat inbetween the screw and amp so the amp doesn't get the jigglies when bumpin'.

9. Thanks akheathen thanked for this post
    Changchung is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I install systems to my friends, I dont know why always ask me if I can put the amp in the sub box because the space and easy to take out, I never had a issue with that...

goingdef is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Yeah, but it's got to be a negligible difference. The amp is directly coupled to the box via that screw/bolt. Those rubber washers are pretty stiff, and if they are soft your amp is constantly bouncing between the screw/bolt and the washer, which is worse.

Maybe it does make a big difference, who knows. But I refuse to believe it until I see some proof.

man you are like the second person I've seen to ever understand that!

electrical: Optima yellow top, big 3 in stinger 1/0g
    HU: JVC AVX-77 touch screen
    Front stage: RE XXX 6.5" comps
    front stage amp: Rockford T600.2
    subs: 2 Rockford T1 12's,
    sub amp: Rockford T1500.1BDCP
    Enclosure: center port(designed&built by JayDubb757)

CAT MAN is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

put your forhead where you want to mount the amp. play system full tilt. when you wake up decide weather or not to mount it on the box

13. Likes akheathen, rfmayhem liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT MAN View Post
    put your forhead where you want to mount the amp. play system full tilt. when you wake up decide weather or not to mount it on the box
    Really so mounting your amps somewhere else in the trunk does not have any vibrations? Show me how you have yours mounted.
    I have seen you old setup and I am 100% sure that it vibrated like hell there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by >>SQL<< View Post
    Really so mounting your amps somewhere else in the trunk does not have any vibrations? Show me how you have yours mounted.
    I have seen you old setup and I am 100% sure that it vibrated like hell there.
    it didnt at all dog killer. not like a box. i dont think you understand how much a beating any well braced box can give an amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

it didnt at all dog killer. not like a box. i dont think you understand how much a beating any well braced box can give an amp
    IDK ungrateful, even Pro-Rabbit says it is not a big deal and I kinda think he knows what he is talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

once you lose a 500$ amp because someone said its fine to mount an amp on the box you would understand. but i guess you actually have to be loud to get how it affects amps. Terry almost had a huge problem when he put a collossus on a wall with grip screws and it shook right off. box was well braced.

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

once you lose a 500$ amp because someone said its fine to mount an amp on the box you would understand. but i guess you actually have to be loud to get how it affects amps. Terry almost had a huge problem when he put a collossus on a wall with grip screws and it shook right off. box was well braced.
    If your amp is damaged do to being mounted on the enclosure there is only 2 reasons for this.

1. Enclosure flex. This is builder error
    2. Amplifier part failure do to manufacturer.

I have had amps on enclosures including 160+ setups with zero issues. I even tested an AQ3500.1D in a recessed amp rack in an enclosure and we didn't even bolt it down...just let it flop around. Still no issues after being used for 3 months daily.

However, in the end it is up you or who ever on where it is mounted. As long as the amp fits that is all that matters.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast