Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reload Thread: What's so wrong about mounting amp on sub box?

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Re: What's so wrong about mounting amp on sub box?

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed471985 View Post
    Why cant company's offer more coil options!!!!!
    Indeed...sorry about the issues you had with getting your subs figured out.

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

How u liking the skars?? I planned on running them but no dual 1 option...
    Well I have only heard them for about 10 mins as I just put them in today.
    First impressions is real good

I will post a review once I get the amps dialed in and get some more listening time.

I will say this - for the money I do not think they can be beat.

My last subs were Kicker L7's, much more expensive and these murder the Kickers.

disturbed471985 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    894 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    Indeed...sorry about the issues you had with getting your subs figured out.
    Yep neither skar or sundown can help me with dual1's. Other then an option for an spl coil. So now I am back to square 1. I am going to try and find 3 sa motors and baskets and have splaudio recone them into dual 1's since the manf cant seem to help. prob end up with better soft parts going this way also,

RIP Maynard "My heart"

HU - Eclipse CD7000
    Front Stage - 4 Silver flute 6.5's - 4 Seas Prestige tweets
    Front Stage amp - DB Drive A7 125.4.. LOOKING FOR 2CHANNEL PM ME OFFERS
    Subwoofer - 1 TRF 15" Custom built
    Subwoofer Amp - 2 - Skar SK-2500's
    Box - Secret
    Wiring - Knukonceptz everything, Big 3, Sprinter S12V370F & HC1800

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Yep neither skar or sundown can help me with dual1's. Other then an option for an spl coil. So now I am back to square 1. I am going to try and find 3 sa motors and baskets and have splaudio recone them into dual 1's since the manf cant seem to help. prob end up with better soft parts going this way also,
    Just hit up SPL he may have something he can work with there so you don't have to look around. He is a great guy and goes way out of his way to make everything work out in the end.

accuab is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

At least I finally got some real answers on this topic instead of people saying don't do it with no background as to why. I'm not one that likes to be told to do or not do something without some explanation of why. I knew the box couldn't really make that much difference as long as there was some kind of dampening material like the rubber spacers. I had just seen this stated so many times with no evidence to back any of it up. I was glad to see that someone actually did some testing and thank you for your contribution to this topic.

disturbed471985 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    894 Post(s)

Just hit up SPL he may have something he can work with there so you don't have to look around. He is a great guy and goes way out of his way to make everything work out in the end.
    He already has a PM waiting for him.

RIP Maynard "My heart"

HU - Eclipse CD7000
    Front Stage - 4 Silver flute 6.5's - 4 Seas Prestige tweets
    Front Stage amp - DB Drive A7 125.4.. LOOKING FOR 2CHANNEL PM ME OFFERS
    Subwoofer - 1 TRF 15" Custom built
    Subwoofer Amp - 2 - Skar SK-2500's
    Box - Secret
    Wiring - Knukonceptz everything, Big 3, Sprinter S12V370F & HC1800

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by accuab View Post
    At least I finally got some real answers on this topic instead of people saying don't do it with no background as to why. I'm not one that likes to be told to do or not do something without some explanation of why. I knew the box couldn't really make that much difference as long as there was some kind of dampening material like the rubber spacers. I had just seen this stated so many times with no evidence to back any of it up. I was glad to see that someone actually did some testing and thank you for your contribution to this topic.

If your box flexes a lot(poorly built) then that is another situation though. Not saying yours does, just wanted make sure that was also covered as well.

accuab is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

If your box flexes a lot(poorly built) then that is another situation though. Not saying yours does, just wanted make sure that was also covered as well.
    yea when I was doing lsome searching I found a site called bcae.com or something like that and I read through it and saw it explaining the box flex was more of the problem than just vibrations in general.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

yea when I was doing lsome searching I found a site called bcae.com or something like that and I read through it and saw it explaining the box flex was more of the problem than just vibrations in general.
    Pretty much it right there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

K not trying to revive a dead thread, but I just mounted two amps to my box, one on the port and one on top. Kind of worried about the one on top since I just got it and don't know how durable it is, but my sub amp has lasted me forever. So should I bolt the 2 channel amp to the support beams of the box? So say have it all the way on the back of the box, so two screws are along the back beam, and then one right above the beam of the port, so that screw is in solid wood, and then the last screw in the middle of the box, so this one will be taking the most flex. This should minimized flex correct? And i put a little hushmat on the bottom of my amps to reduce vibrations. I also screwed right through 2 pieces of hushmat stuck back to back. Do you think this is okay or should I go buy some rubber isolation feet and redo it? My set up is alpine m450 (400watts) to a 10" kicker cvx, which hits pretty hard actually, and a 2 channel alpine t220 right on top. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ladysmanfelpz View Post
    K not trying to revive a dead thread, but I just mounted two amps to my box, one on the port and one on top. Kind of worried about the one on top since I just got it and don't know how durable it is, but my sub amp has lasted me forever. So should I bolt the 2 channel amp to the support beams of the box? So say have it all the way on the back of the box, so two screws are along the back beam, and then one right above the beam of the port, so that screw is in solid wood, and then the last screw in the middle of the box, so this one will be taking the most flex. This should minimized flex correct? And i put a little hushmat on the bottom of my amps to reduce vibrations. I also screwed right through 2 pieces of hushmat stuck back to back. Do you think this is okay or should I go buy some rubber isolation feet and redo it? My set up is alpine m450 (400watts) to a 10" kicker cvx, which hits pretty hard actually, and a 2 channel alpine t220 right on top. Thanks.
    The likely hood of you damaging an amp do to flex with "400" watts is minimal. Odds are you are just being over worried. Feel free to take any kind of precautions you like though, it never hurts to be "safe".

tc300 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    461 Post(s)

I don't question that fact. But vibrations are everywhere near the subwoofer. Plus there is solder on the speaker itself. If you had carpet on a box with an amp mounted on it, the vibrations would be almost exactly the same as the floor sitting beside the box.

The only correct way it seems would be to mount it in some sort of suspension in order to protect it. Vibrations are everywhere in a vehicle, with or without a sub. Maybe they should make them with an air ride suspension lol.
    Carpet doesnt cancel vibrations.. Think about it, what do you use to screw the amp to the box with... DUD a screw! Thats how the amp feels the vibrations

Popwarhomie is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)

I have my AQ1200 and AQ120.4 mounted on top of my box now in my car(on rubber grommets). Only because I dont have any other place to put them. In my truck I have the box between the 2 seats with amps behind both seats.

1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus coupe
    Pioneer 80prs/14 cubic foot wall/(2)HDC3 18s/(2)AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)AQ Promids/(4)AQ supertweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/Deka batteries

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

K thats what i thought, but my cvx still hits pretty hard. I think the hushmat will do for now but I do want to upgrade to rubber feet here soon. 2 channel up top gets a lil hot and a lil extra space off the carpet should also help to keep it cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

K thats what i thought, but my cvx still hits pretty hard. I think the hushmat will do for now but I do want to upgrade to rubber feet here soon. 2 channel up top gets a lil hot and a lil extra space off the carpet should also help to keep it cool.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Tag List