Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Headunit turns on and off while driving

JML0124 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Headunit turns on and off while driving

Hey I had bought my car a year ago with a sound system already installed I haven't had any problems with the system but the other day I was driving and I went to turn on my headlights and my system shut off and then came back on a few min later When the radio came back on I turned my headlights back on to see if it would do it again and same thing happened it did this on and off for a few days then went back to normal so now when I turn on my headlights my system doesn't turn off anymore. But now I also noticed whenever I crank up the volume the system turns off or sometimes just the subs and also when im driving the head unit lights up random **** like the repeat button will turn on then off as well with the shuffle button and some others.

I went to best buy and talked too some guy working he said I need a capacitor I dont believe that is the problem cause previously when my battery power would run extremely low my car would start to stall out but my system would never turn off. I have no clue why its doing this any help would be greatly appreciated

I have a 2 12" kenwood subs, Pioneer speakers, 2 amps (dont know off the top of my head what brand and type they are), and a dual 7inch screen head unit

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: Headunit turns on and off while driving

i would check the power supply connection for the radio..kind of sounds like it may have been wired to the headlt portion of the fuse panel, instead of buying a wiring harness for the vehicle, its possibly loose due to vibration,if so, try to wire it to the existing fuse supply for the radio..loose power wire on hu is what i am thinking without being there..check it out, and let us know

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alright thanks alot man Ill def try that out and let you know but im just curious on why that would make my head unit goes crazy like it turns stuff on and off while im driving like the repeat button will appear on the screen then will shut off then the shuffle button will come on then shut off it does this non stop
    Last edited by JML0124; 11-29-2011 at 12:54 PM.

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Definitely sounds like bad ground and possibly dirty power source. Why I mean by dirty power is a wire that has hum, noise or intermittent connection. Sometimes it will throw the computer for a loop and make all kinds of errors, shutting off, etc. Start with the ground first. if that doesn't help, use a new power wire from the battery or known clean accessory feed.

'65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

'02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

disturbed471985 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Check all wire connections and go punch the BB guy in the mouth.

RIP Maynard "My heart"

HU - Eclipse CD7000
    Front Stage - 5 Silver flute 6.5's - 6 Seas Prestige tweets Soon to be FS
    Front Stage amp - DB Drive A7 125.4 For Sale In amp section
    Subwoofer - 3 Skar VVX 10's & 2 TRF Blacks For Sale in Sub Section
    Subwoofer Amp - 2 - Skar SK-2500's & Sundown 5k & 2 Nendo bc2000's For Sale in Amp section
    Box - 4.25cf tuned to 30hz using a 6" internal aero 15" long.. Free
    Wiring - Knukonceptz everything, Big 3, Sprinter S12V370F & HC1800 Soon to be all FS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright thanks for the advice I will check it out and let you guys know if I find out what the problem is

Closed Thread