Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Capacitor vs battery

1BadHawk is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Capacitor vs battery

Ive done a search and theres quit a bit of discussion on capacitors, and like most I too was under the misconception that a cap would eliminate the dimming of lights and such on hard bass notes. Many people have asked would it be better to put a second battery in since it holds a much larger charge longer. Common sense would say but of course. But what about putting a larger cap in, instead. Im working on an install of two RE HC12's powered by an MA Audio 2.1200, both will get about 600w RMS each. I also have an MA Audio 4ch which is also 1200w. Im concidering a cap simply becuase of room. Upgrading the alternator is out of the question. GM didnt spare an inch puting the LS1 into the FireHawk and theres just no room for a second battery anywhere. I am however looking at a larger 2.5 or 3 farad cap. Do you think a larger cap such as one of these will help reduce the elec surge?

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Capacitor vs battery

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadHawk
    Ive done a search and theres quit a bit of discussion on capacitors, and like most I too was under the misconception that a cap would eliminate the dimming of lights and such on hard bass notes. Many people have asked would it be better to put a second battery in since it holds a much larger charge longer. Common sense would say but of course. But what about putting a larger cap in, instead. Im working on an install of two RE HC12's powered by an MA Audio 2.1200, both will get about 600w RMS each. I also have an MA Audio 4ch which is also 1200w. Im concidering a cap simply becuase of room. Upgrading the alternator is out of the question. GM didnt spare an inch puting the LS1 into the FireHawk and theres just no room for a second battery anywhere. I am however looking at a larger 2.5 or 3 farad cap. Do you think a larger cap such as one of these will help reduce the elec surge?
    Three words: Drycell Marine Battery.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

60_cent is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look in to a a batcap. It is very small in size and works like a battery and a cap all in one.

www.batcap.com

1992 cocaine white Acura Legend ***TOTALED 9/2009****
    Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd, Focal polyglass 165v1 front stage, (1) Fi SSD 12" sub ported
    RF T3002, T5001bd, monster cable wiring, optima yellow top, batcap, fatmat sound deadening

**NEW VEHICLE**
    2007 Chevy Impala SS LS4 5.3L V8
    Pioneer AVH 3200BT
    Kicker IX5001, IX5004, Kicker wiring
    Kicker QS 6.5 comps, KS 6x9's, Xtant x12b 2.0 cubic box tuned to 33 hertz

60_cent is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 60_cent
    Look in to a a batcap. It is very small in size and works like a battery and a cap all in one.

www.batcap.com

sorry wrong web address...

try www.batcap.net

1992 cocaine white Acura Legend ***TOTALED 9/2009****
    Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd, Focal polyglass 165v1 front stage, (1) Fi SSD 12" sub ported
    RF T3002, T5001bd, monster cable wiring, optima yellow top, batcap, fatmat sound deadening

**NEW VEHICLE**
    2007 Chevy Impala SS LS4 5.3L V8
    Pioneer AVH 3200BT
    Kicker IX5001, IX5004, Kicker wiring
    Kicker QS 6.5 comps, KS 6x9's, Xtant x12b 2.0 cubic box tuned to 33 hertz

zerohertz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would just get a cap. one farad for every 1000 watts. make sure you charge the cap before connecting it directly to 12 volts.

Crapstain is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would get a battery because, Thay store way more power then a cap and because the cap will run out of power and it doesent need to recharge every time the sub hits. put it this way, if you hook up a Capacitor to the amp and just run the cap it will get at lest 1-10 second vs. a battery you can run it for at lest 10-30 minutes. because it is ment for storing power. and it will be cheeper to get a battery... Look at it this way, people going for a world record use a **** load for batterys because thay store more power then a cap and then you can get more power out of the amp, you would need like 1000 caps to compare to a battry.
    if you want your lights to stop dimming use a cap but if you want a lot of back-up power use a battrey. But I think that Capacitor's look cool...

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your problem is dimming lights, thee a battery simply cannot help. The reason your lights dim in the first place is your alt runs at about 14.4V. It can only provide so much current at that voltage. As the current demand increases beyond what the alt can provide, the voltage begins to drop until it hits the voltage level of the next available current source, the battery. The battery is usually about 12.8 volts. The change from 14.4 to 12.8 affects everything hooked to your electrical system, but it is most obvious in the lights because with lower voltage the lights will not be as bright. Another battery will not keep the voltage constant at 14.4V when you exceed the current capacity of the alt. Neither will a cap, but the cap does at least start off at 14.4 V and then will slowly discharge, gradually lowering the voltage. The lights will still probably dim, but you won't notice it as much because it is so gradual.

You really should research a new alt. It may be a tight fit, but I think you might be surprised what's out there. There are several members on here with F-bodies that might be able to help you out with that. Long term, overtaxing your alternator is going to shorten its life as well as the life of your battery. To get the most out of your stock alternator in the mean time, upgrade your battery groung, your engine block ground, and your positive wire from the battery to the alt. Go as big as you can on those wires. 1/0 would be what I would shoot for.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

cockeyed00 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

helotaxi YOUR THE MAN! you laid it down and explained a whole lot. Now the question is how do you know what alternator to get? is it universal like a battery(amps wise) or would it be car specific?

HEY LOOK, you dropped your pocket....

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cockeyed00
    helotaxi YOUR THE MAN! you laid it down and explained a whole lot. Now the question is how do you know what alternator to get? is it universal like a battery(amps wise) or would it be car specific?
    The case and mounting configuration are usually car specific, or at least make and engine specific, ie GM small block V-8.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you could get a batcap 800, very light and will work as a battery. 70% batt 30% cap. they are very small considering they have 800A. as for the alternator you can have the same 1 just rewound to get more amps.www.excessiveamperage.com

cockeyed00 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how would you know how many amps you would need? would it depend on your setup and everthing in the vehicle? I have a truck and will be getting 5-6 auxilary lights, a jl 500/1 pushing either 2 jl 10w6s or some kicker 10 L7s, a 1500rms/3000max power inverter and i think that's all for now.......how many amps would I consider on getting?

HEY LOOK, you dropped your pocket....

Berry47 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The more you can get the happier you electrical equipment will be. Caps are a waste of money. Batteries can be helpful. Alternators make all the difference.

Mine: CDT, Eclipse, Diamond Audio, Dayton, Aura

Wifey: Infinity, Concept, Pioneer, Profile, JBL

Refs: Ruckus, MSSOKC

jciaccio is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anybody have any links to sights that have heavy duty alternators for sale. I have a Pontiac sunfire and could use one now.

Acidburn is offline Super Mod-like-guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

here are 2 ideas for you:
    1. make your own thread
    2. SEARCH, just today there was a post with at least 5 sites

MdOiDcEtRaAtToOrR
    1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 14.5 @ 94
    1967 Chevrolet Camaro 18.4 @ 74