Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Amp in trunk, where to run speaker wire to fronts?

ZeNmAc is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amp in trunk, where to run speaker wire to fronts?

I have a quick simple question. I have a 4 channel amp I'm installing in my trunk. It will be powering my sub in the trunk and my two woofers in the doors.

Basically, I read putting the RCA next to the power wire will cause interference, is this true for the speaker wire as well? Ideally I'd run one wire on each side, but I don't want my left speaker to have problems with interference. If that is the case I could run them both on the side with RCA but that requires more wire.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: Amp in trunk, where to run speaker wire to fronts?

It can,create interference, yet,In my opinion.most of the time its fine to do,as long as you have a good ground on the amp.If you have an issue,then reroute the wiring.I dont have any issues with mine ran that way.Just remember ...not to crimp/pinch the wiring,and not to shoot a screw through wiring,as this is easily done,creating issues.IMO though...everyday car?I dont see why not.. mine is ran that way,rcas are away from the power wiring though.

3. Thanks ZeNmAc thanked for this post
    assassin1840 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

speaker wire is cheap and you will only need 16 or 18 gauge i got like 40 ft of stinger by my local shop and it was less than 20 bucks i think maybe 16 and i used that for my fronts and rear speakers on my drivers front i ran the wire to the passenger side and then ran it back its no where near the power wire, wires cheap why not just run it a couple more feet its maybe a dollar or so and its not worth it to get interference for a buck or two. imho that is

97 civic ex new build coming soon. head unit poineer premier 690 fronts/rears diamond audio hex pros mid & high stage amp Diamond Audio HEX 700.4 sub amp dc 5k? maybe 7.5k sub stage 2 diamond audio d9 15d2s lwire stinger zero gauge & 4 gauge 3 c&d 102ah batts, kenitik 800,200 amp alt mechman
    http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/itrader.php?u=12942 http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1010415 and many more

5. Thanks ZeNmAc thanked for this post
    ZeNmAc is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by assassin1840 View Post
    speaker wire is cheap and you will only need 16 or 18 gauge i got like 40 ft of stinger by my local shop and it was less than 20 bucks i think maybe 16 and i used that for my fronts and rear speakers on my drivers front i ran the wire to the passenger side and then ran it back its no where near the power wire, wires cheap why not just run it a couple more feet its maybe a dollar or so and its not worth it to get interference for a buck or two. imho that is
    The 20ft of speaker wire that came with my amp kit wasn't long enough to run along the passenger side. I had a 30ft roll of speaker wire that I'm using instead. Hopefully it's long enough. 12ga though, way overkill. It seems like a shame to put such nice looking wire in my car, but the only other stuff I have is maybe 16ga and super cheap stuff. I've seen it start to discolor after a while so I don't want to put it in my car .

ColterDC is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can run it down the same side. Just don't put it right next to your power wire. Even a half inch or so of separation between the wires will be fine.

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
    Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
    2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
    Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
    Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I run my speaker wire on the driver side right next to the power wire and don't have a problem, as it'd be a tremendous hassle to run across and down the passenger side. No interference for me though But I have noticed if the RCA's get near a power wire, major interference.

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

ColterDC is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think alot of it has to do with the quality of the wires involved. The cable shield thickness can make a big difference in determining whether there's going to be any "bleedover".

If you want to be safe, just put the power and rca/speaker wires at least a half inch away from each other.

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
    Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
    2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
    Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
    Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Speaker wires are low impedance and do not pick up noise. Factory systems run them through the same harnesses that power windows and door locks without noise issues. Don't worry about it.

RCA's are a different matter.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

you can also run the wire down the middle. the center console pulls out pretty easy.

or run on either side, but along the floor. i don't run wires in the sill anymore. i pull seats, pull back carpet, and make my own route.

over the years, many people have blamed RCA routing (near power wires) with noise. i have never seen that to be the case. cheap equipment, failed components, poor grounding, or other installation methods result in noise.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

do away with the rear speakers since they arn't needed...and tap into those speaker wires...when they come back into your dash by the radio just loop through to your front doors...saves hours of running and fishing wires...through seats under carpet and through doors...this may even save scraped knuckles and a few choice cuss words....

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana_CRX View Post
    do away with the rear speakers since they arn't needed...and tap into those speaker wires...when they come back into your dash by the radio just loop through to your front doors...saves hours of running and fishing wires...through seats under carpet and through doors...this may even save scraped knuckles and a few choice cuss words....

i have done this as well for some installs. you need to ensure you don't have a factory amplifier (as it would change the "loop through" location. and also evaluate the wire gauge with the power you are delivering. lastly, i prefer wire with no termination between amp and driver. factory wiring can have several plugs or junctions you should be aware of.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Closed Thread