Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stock alternator/electrical system questions

Hey guys, another question here. It seems all I do is ask questions! :P

So I'm going to be installing my first audio system in my car, probably this week. I have all my components ordered and they should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be too busy with school and can get started installing!

I'm a poor high school student so my system isn't probably going to be the best components or even that good with your standards here, but oh well. I think I'll like it. :P

I'm going to have 2 amps -- a Bazooka MGA11000H mono class H amp that is rated at 1000w RMS. I don't think it'll put out a full 1000, but I don't need it too. I'll also have a 2-channel Boston Acoustics amp for my front speakers. That's rated at 2x80w RMS.

My question is, will my car's stock electrical system/alternator be able to handle it? I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS. The stock alt is only 80 amps if I remember correctly.

I guess I'll now for sure once I get the whole system installed. But my gut feeling is I'm going to be having some dimming or lights, maybe some other stuff.

I'm doing the Big 3 upgrade for sure, so I'm wondering what I should do, if worse comes to worse? I'm a high schooler, so my parents may help pay for maybe 50% of whatever I need, hopefully. I emailed Nate at Excessive Amperage and he said it'd be $355 for a 200 amp alt. I don't think I'd ever need more than that. I don't foresee going to crazy with my car audio. Or would a second battery or just an upgraded battery be okay. The car has a Duralast in it now, but that thing don't look like its in the best condition.

Just need some opinions! Thanks!

All_Logix is offline Formerly CivicGTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Re: Stock alternator/electrical system questions

Honeslty no, your stock alt will not support the full potential of the load, however it will perform, you lights will just dim drastically. Good call on the Big 3, helps tremendously. Be weary of a HO alt because it can really make some interesting problems. Being as this is your first audio system I would take it step by step.

wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1275 Post(s)

I run a dd m2 at .5 stock electrical

Z3n
    Z3n is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I didn't think my stock alt would support it. :P I'll definitely take it one step at a time. Once I get it installed then I can tell how bad it is. Go someplace dark and turn up the bass I guess.

The subs I'm going to run are 400w RMS each so a total of 800w RMS. Even if the amp doesn't give a full 1000w RMS it'll push them well I think. Does an amp rated for 1000w RMS always pull 1000w RMS of power? I looked around for an answer but never saw one. Or will it draw less power when its not hitting as hard?

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

the amp pulls more power as you turn it up
    that is why I think you will be fine on the stock alt

NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2736 Post(s)

I run one of nate's 200 amps in my tc. I hold very good voltage running a zx2500 and a alpine pdx 2.150. I have 2 trunk batts but I don't think I need more then 1.

2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

sacsking916 is offline stayin high an loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)

you probably will be fine with a extra battery. that amp i doubt is a current hog. big 3 and extra battery if needed should be fine

TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    King James has nothing on King Sac!

Z3n
    Z3n is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and so quick too! I doubt I'll have the amp cranked up fully very much, maybe never. It's a small car so it shouldn't take too much to get loud. I'll see how it goes!

EDIT: If I have to get an extra battery, what would you guys recommend? This also might apply if I need to replace the stock battery under the hood. I don't know how great that thing is. :P

ColterDC is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Just get the HO Alt and call it good.

Did you check with Mechman? He may have a 150-180amp that would be slightly cheaper.

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
    Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
    2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
    Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
    Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    855 Post(s)

I don't know why people are suggesting a HO alt on a ~1000w set-up, but I suppose every car is different. Every car is different, but I really don't foresee you having a problem, especially with a Big 3 don. In my case, subs and speakers, I'm running ~1600w, with OEM alt (that is weaker than yours), and 2 year old OEM battery. With the Big 3 upgrade done. And I only experience minor dimming at very loud volumes. If you're really worried, I'd just get a fresh, stout battery under the hood and see where you're at. I don't think you'll have any problems though, especially if you don't crank up the volume much.

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

ColterDC is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I'd like to see this 1600 rms system running off a 75 amp Alt with, as you put it, minor dimming. Are you sure that at high volumes, lights on, heater running, etc that your car isn't about to die?

Either that car you've got is running off 5 amps for all the stock electrical system requirements or your dimming is a little more than minor.

The only reason I always suggest a H/O Alt over a battery for dimming issues is because if given the choice of replacing the power plant or the power storage, I worry first about the item producing the power.

But your point is taken and if I could amend my post I would say this;
    First install what you want to install and see if you get any dimming issues. If not....enjoy.

If so.. do the following in order.
    1. Big 3
    2. H/O Alt
    3. Extra batteries

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
    Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
    2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
    Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
    Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

Z3n
    Z3n is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well my system would be about 1160w RMS if each amp was pulling its full RMS at all time. I'm not going to have everything turned up to max settings so I don't think it will pull that much juice 24/7. I can hope for minor dimming. :P

Any suggestions for a battery upgrade? I might do that even if its not 100% necessary, just because I have no clue about the condition of the current battery.

NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2736 Post(s)

HO supplies to juice, all batteries do is keep your voltage above 12.6 or were they rest at. Do you know how fast you can pull a battery down from 14 to 12. One good surge will do it. That is not there purpose. Everytime your lights dim your amp clips. Everytime your voltage drops to battery resting you lose a few hundred watts.

2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

well, what is the impeedance load for the max rms? what ohms are you running on ylur sub(s).... amps are rated different, but one thing to look at is the fuse rating...the maximum output is only going to pull amperage less than the fuse rating. as a rule of thumb- i look at 80a as 1krms just fine. a high output alt would be ideal, but probably not quite justified. 2k, definately, but i doubt you will be drawing all that current that the whole car takes up all at once. i run 1160rms just fine with a 165a alt, without dragging the alt down into the battery, and it doesn't sound like you want to abuse it and drain your voltage down, either. i say, look at your voltage when playing at leisure. if you are getting into the mid 12's, then you are really working the alt, and pulling the battery down, which could call for new alt, and/or battery at any time, or even damage the equipment. then decide

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

15. Thanks NoLoud4U thanked for this post
    OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

You should be alright with the big three. I'm running 1500 on a 100a alt with no dimming at full tilt, no big three done yet. not sure what the amps draw but I would be certain you will be okay. If you do have any issues pick up a second battery.

Grab one of Ram's UPS12-300MR
    RAM's AGM Battery Sale Thread - DFW

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser with Box built by Pro-Rabbit
    H/U Kenwood DNX6960
    Sub: 1-18" Zv3 with NS coils and cone Sub Amp: Mmats 2100.2
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio L6 mids, SEAS Neo Tweets, SAX 100.4, RF 3sixty.2
    Bought From: Rio, davidtemple, Bassin Buick, Pro-Rabbit, Kangaroux, KyleBechtold Traded With: WhiteDragon551 Sold To: jdmeklove, Kpozr2, 97accordalpine

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List