Closed Thread

Reload Thread: wiring 4 front speakers

paulie74 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wiring 4 front speakers

Hi all! Could be a silly question, but, Is it ok to wire in an extra pair of front speakers, putting the speaker cable into the head unit that is already powering my 2 dash speakers? So i have 4 speakers at the front and 2 at the back. Will I loose the good sound or wattage?

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: wiring 4 front speakers

No it is not ok
    You will lower the ohm load to 2 ohms on the head unit which will most likely cause it to fail quickly.
    You need a 2 ohm stable amp in order to run 2 sets of speakers in the front

3. Thanks paulie74 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you. I have limited knowledge! A 2 ohm stable amp?!

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

actually, the question is dependent on what speakers you are talking about. if you want a woofer in teh door and a mid/tweeter in the dash, then yes, you can do this if you provide a passive crossover. at a minimum, you'll have a high pass crossover on the dash mid/tweet. a low pass crossover is desired for the door woofer to prevent phase interference. in general, you don't want speakers to have overlapping response. choosing crossover points and slopes is important, as well as taking the resulting phase shift into consideration. a 12dB/oct and 18dB/oct crossover will have a 180deg phase shift around the crossover frequency. it's usually best to use the same slope for the low and high pass crossover points. if not, you may need to adjust polarity to keep things in phase.

so before anyone can answer your question, we need to know what speakers you are installing. make/model.

most amplifiers are 2 ohm stable in stereo mode - meaning they are rated to be able to power a 2 ohm load. when you wire a pair of 4 ohm speakers in parallel, the combined load is 2 ohms. you always want to know what impedance load you are presenting to an amplifier (hu or external). buying an external amp would allow you to power 4 front speakers and 2 rear speakers with increased volume and clarity (compared to a head unit).

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

6. Thanks paulie74 thanked for this post
    Sleeklsc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Or you could delete the rear speakers and extend those wires in the door.

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a long van so I need them all!!

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you are looking for a louder system I recommend a small 4 channel - MB Quart is a good value brand
    and new speakers all around
    You can do that for around $300

10. Thanks paulie74 thanked for this post
Closed Thread