Closed Thread

Reload Thread: I need a guide on installing a head unit, 4 channel amp. component front speakers,

imbored408 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I need a guide on installing a head unit, 4 channel amp. component front speakers,

coaxial rears.

Front
    Polk MM6501

Rear
    Polk MM651

Head Unit
    Kenwood KDC-X695

Amp
    Rockford Fosgate P500-4

I would like to know first if all this equipment would work with each other?

Ok so how do I go about installing all of this?

What do I install first and where are some guides/vids on how to install this?

All I have seen how to install the component speakers is to take the old ones out and put the new ones in. It never explained if you use the same wires used for the old speakers or if they used new wires. How do you connect the speakers to the 4 channel amp and where does the headunit come into play?

Every vid I have seen on youtube and crutchfield all fail to explain that.

Please help and link me to full and complete guides.

UnderFire is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Re: I need a guide on installing a head unit, 4 channel amp. component front speakers

Ok, when you are replacing the speakers, it is usually best to bump up the wire size to around 14-16 Gauge, the wire installed might not be able to handle the power.

To connect the Headunit to the Amp, you use a set of RCA cables, they plug into the output on the back of the headunit and then into the input on the amp.

It's best to install the headunit first, to make sure it works, then the wire up the amplifier, make sure it powers up, then install the speakers, then run wires to the speakers from the amp.

to install the components, you'll probably have to install the tweeters somewhere in the car if there isn't a stock tweeter location.

Also when wiring components, the amp wire goes into the input on the crossover, and the TW goes to the tweeter, and the MW to the Mid Woofer.

97 4runner, 3RZ, 5 Speed

Headunit: Alpine CDA-9887
    Mids: CDT HD-6CF
    Tweets: CDT DRT-25
    Fronts Amp: Hertz HDP4
    Sub Amp: American Bass VFL150.1
    Substage: 18" SSA ZCON
    Electrical: 160 Amp Alt, Duralast Gold, C&D270FR, 2/0 Throughout

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I need a guide on installing a head unit, 4 channel amp. component front speakers

So I am pretty sure I can connect the amp and headunit together easily since that is explained on vids.

For the front component speakers do I just put them in place and then connect the tweeter and woofer to the cross over? Then from the crossover to the amp? No direct connection of the component speakers to the head unit takes place correct, just crossover to amp then amp to headunit through RCA?

For the rear coaxial do I just directly connect those to the amp?

If so, these seems easier than I though unless I am oversimplifying it. Sure beats spending hundreds for an audio shop to install it.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

hmmm i smell smoke !!!!!

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Fiendstolemyamp is offline Call of the Wintermoon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imbored408 View Post
    So I am pretty sure I can connect the amp and headunit together easily since that is explained on vids.

For the front component speakers do I just put them in place and then connect the tweeter and woofer to the cross over? Then from the crossover to the amp? No direct connection of the component speakers to the head unit takes place correct, just crossover to amp then amp to headunit through RCA?

For the rear coaxial do I just directly connect those to the amp?

If so, these seems easier than I though unless I am oversimplifying it. Sure beats spending hundreds for an audio shop to install it.
    You got it man.

I use gain as a volume control.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    hmmm i smell smoke !!!!!
    lol is the amp bad or is it something else? link to an amp that will work if that is the case.

would the Fosgate-Punch-P400 be better?

4 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan.
    2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.

instead of

4 ohms: 60 watts x 4 chan.
    2 ohms: 125 watts x 2 chan.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

no thats not what i meant ,what i mean is that if you have never done an installation please be careful,1 - it's very easy to blow up your stuff if not very careful. 2 - you really should know what your getting into before you do it , cause you can mess up more than just your car audio equipment i.e. your car electrical. 3 - you need to know how to properly set the gains on your amp ,so you dont blow your subs and the same with your speakers. 4 and last but not least you really should know how to diagnose your system in case there is a problem. ALL I'M SAYING IS BE CAREFUL AND CAUTIOUS !!!!!

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh well that is why i was asking for guides and what not. I am surprised there isnt any stickies that show how to do each thing step by step and provide pictures when necessary. I know every car is different but the set up should generally be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

reason why is that there is way too much to know when it comes to doing a nice and correct job. lots of little tricks just like any other job that you really know.like color coding the wires ,how to find the right wires if your stock harness is cut,how to check which speaker wires are + and - and what to look for

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Closed Thread