Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Amplifying door speakers

jchulski20 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amplifying door speakers

At the moment I have 1 pair of Rockford fosgate 6.5" speakers in My front doors they are 40 RMS speakers and my deck is 40 watts x4 my back doors are only stock speakers but when I put new speakers in my back doors should I get a 4 channel amp to power all 4 speakers? Will they sound any better? If I do get an amp do I have to get one thats 40x4 watts or one that's slightly higher? Lastly will I get to get another wiring kit fo this amp and go straight front he battery? The speakers I'm gonna put in back are gonna be the same wattage as my fron speakers

Chris Bell is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Amplifying door speakers

you dont have to put an amp to them if you dont want to they could get louder i dont know about sounding better if you have a good HU with a eq you can do about the same with just it. the reason ppl run a amp to them is there subs are to loud and it gets hard to get the volume out of just a HU. if you do put a amp you can just split off the wiring for your sub amp as long as you have a big enough wire to run both amps

subzero is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I would put them on a nice four channel amp. maybe 50watts per channel if your sticking with 40watt speakers. You wnat to have nice speaker wire and you have to run a amp wiring kit. 8 guage wire kit should be fine for a 50x4 amp. If you plan to run subs also, then you would want to get a 4gauge amp kit, depending on the sub amp wattage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With a good amp door speakers will definitely sound clearer and less distorted. Especially when u turn the volume up!

'99 f-250 extended cab LB lots of go-fast tow-heavy goodies

kenwood head unit
    jl audio slash 300/4
    focal 130 a1 components in front, infinity kappa 6x8 coax in rear door
    jl audio 8w1v2 8" sub

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    With a good amp door speakers will definitely sound clearer and less distorted. Especially when u turn the volume up!
    agreed. your head unit is about 10W RMS, and that 10W is distorted power. an external amp is recommended before you even replace the rear speakers. get them front speakers singing!

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

You will certainly notice a world of a difference with a properly installed and tuned 4ch amp for your door speakers. And you do not get 40w of power off that deck, just to let you know. You don't even get half that

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

you dont even need big speaker wire. i got like 24 guage running to mine and they sound great off 50 watts each. (powered by a rockford fosgate punch 200-2)

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

24 awg wire is what is in CAT5 - the resistance per foot is higher than i'd want - you lose power to the wire. i would recommend a minimum 18 awg for low power amplified speakers, and 16 awg minimum in general.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, i'm not entirely sure how to install an amp for door speakers but here is what i want to do. I already have an amp to power my sub and that amp is 500 watts RMS (rockford fosgate) with 6 gauge wire. I want to buy 4 gauge wire and a distribution block run the 4 gauge to the block from the battery than run 6 gauge to both amps? now what do i do with the factory speaker wire coming from the HU is that used for nothing now? Are all the speakers completely powered off of the amp? This is just a general idea. im sure somebody on this forum can give me a detailed explanation on how to do it properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just tape the wires from the HU off and run them off just the amp

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how do i get the new speaker wire into the doors? Sorry if im asking alot of questions i'v never installed an amp to door speakers before and i'm not sure how alot of this stuff works

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i try to run them thought where the factory wires run theres usaully a rubber sleave they run through. dont worry about asking its always better to ask someone whos done it before than screw it up and have to do it again or blow something up lol

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i was gonna run them through the sleeve but i couldnt figure out how to get the sleeve off my power wire i just cut a hole in the sleeve and ran my current power wire through it. can you also help me pick out an amp also?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i run a coat hanger or something thr. it and tape the wires to the end and pull it back thr. or tape them to factory wires and pull them out if you not worried about useing them again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin................i thought about this one for mine only two channel but would work and seems to be a good guy and good price

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast