Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Reload Thread: Building a sound system, what do I need?

BayAreaBimmer is offline PFOA Champions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Building a sound system, what do I need?

Hey guys, I've recently picked up two Alpine type-r 1243D's and plan on running them off of a sundown SAX-1200D. I was wondering what else I should get in order for my sound system to run relliably. Should I get a capacitor? An extra/back-up battery? Anything I should get to make it solid and not die on me? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I hit the gasser, go faster, all you hear is dual-exhaust flow master."

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Re: Building a sound system, what do I need?

Don't need a capacitor. Just do the big 3 and upgrade your main battery if it's a ****** one. That's all you should need for 1200 watts. If your voltage drops though, then put in a 2nd battery, but I think you'll be fine with a good battery and the big 3.

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the big three are subs, an amp, and head unit?

Kangaroux is online now I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaBimmer View Post
    And the big three are subs, an amp, and head unit?
    Lol nice try. The Big 3 consists of adding some 0gauge power wire under the hood for your alt -> battery pos, battery neg -> chassis, and battery neg -> engine block. There is a sticky for it under the electrical section IIRC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

No no, the big 3 is an upgrade you do to your electrical. You upgrade your wire from your battery positive to alternator, engine block to ground, and battery negative to ground. People use 0 gauge wire to do this.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What? Sorry I'm really confused, if I take the subs/amp into a shop will they be able to wire the "Big 3" and do all this stuff properly

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    No no, the big 3 is an upgrade you do to your electrical. You upgrade your wire from your battery positive to alternator, engine block to ground, and battery negative to ground. People use 0 gauge wire to do this.
    Ahhh okay, this makes sense. So will stores be able to do all this wiring and installation for me? If so, how much will it cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

What? Sorry I'm really confused, if I take the subs/amp into a shop will they be able to wire the "Big 3" and do all this stuff properly
    Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

Basically the factory wiring can't support this new power draw from your amps, the big 3 just allows your electrical to become more versatile. I also would suggest installing the equipment yourself, or getting someone local to help you...shops charge a boatload for an install

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Look at your battery. You'll see a positive cable and a negative cable. The positive cable runs to your alternator. This wire will be upgraded to 0 gauge. The negative cable should run and connect to your chassis. This will also be upgraded to 0 gauge. The wire that's hardest to do is the wire connecting your engine block to the chassis. This is the last that will get upgraded.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Ahhh okay, this makes sense. So will stores be able to do all this wiring and installation for me? If so, how much will it cost?
    Most shops don't even know what the big 3 is, partly because they hardly ever do installs that are in excess of 1000w..

Depending on your vehicle you're going to need between 6-10ft of 1/0 to do the install, and some ring terminals. It shouldn't cost you more than $25. If you are running anything over 800w you really should take the time and do it

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    Look at your battery. You'll see a positive cable and a negative cable. The positive cable runs to your alternator. This wire will be upgraded to 0 gauge. The negative cable should run and connect to your chassis. This will also be upgraded to 0 gauge. The wire that's hardest to do is the wire connecting your engine block to the chassis. This is the last that will get upgraded.
    ****, so I should definitely do all this wiring stuff before I install the amps/subs? And if I do it myself how hard is the job usually? I feel like doing all that would be a huge pain in the ***...

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

* you also need an enclosure built to spec for the subs - 3/4" MDF or 7-ply wood
    * you need a 4 awg or 1/0 amp wiring kit from a name brand
    * you want split loom for power wire under the hood, and ideally the entire length for all cables
    * a pack of black zip ties and zip tie mounts for securing wires in-place
    * a board to mount the amp to and hardware to mount the amp to the vehicle. avoid mounting the amp to the box. the reasons are plentiful, trust me... just avoid it.
    * a drill and drill bit for making a hole in the floor for grounding, masking tape for defining an area for sand paper for removing paint, and a bolt sized for the grounding ring terminal. make the hole just big enough to run the bolt through.
    * a firewall grommet for passing the power wire through the fire wall - and a drill and drill bit (a hole saw bit or step-bit) for making a hole large enough for the 4 awg or 1/0 grommet
    * silicone tube to seal the firewall and ground penetrations to the vehicle to inhibit water ingress and rust
    * 4 awg or 1/0 ring terminals for your big 3 - 5/16" for most, but 1/4" for the alt positive
    * i prefer to mount my amps and subs with t-nuts and machine screws - most reliable method since you can strip out wood screws
    * best way to secure ring terminals to large power wire is with a tabletop butane torch and low melting point solder. otherwise, a vice can crimp the connectors.
    * i use heat shrink for everything i can. you can buy kits with various sizes at hardware stores. most is 2:1 so buy it as close to the size you need as possible - this means buy a wide range.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

13. Thanks krash3r thanked for this post
    Likes krash3r liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    Most shops don't even know what the big 3 is, partly because they hardly ever do installs that are in excess of 1000w..

Depending on your vehicle you're going to need between 6-10ft of 1/0 to do the install, and some ring terminals. It shouldn't cost you more than $25. If you are running anything over 800w you really should take the time and do it
    I see, I'll do that. Where can I get this wiring for the best price? How long will it take to do the big 3 wiring? And how long will it take to install the amp/subs myself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

****, so I should definitely do all this wiring stuff before I install the amps/subs? And if I do it myself how hard is the job usually? I feel like doing all that would be a huge pain in the ***...
    It's really just disconnecting a few wire and putting new ones in. Depending on where your battery/alternator/engine block are, it can be really easy or it can be a PITA. Should be pretty easy though.

And it is good to do, because lacking a good electrical can damage your audio equipment.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    * you also need an enclosure built to spec for the subs - 3/4" MDF or 7-ply wood
    * you need a 4 awg or 1/0 amp wiring kit from a name brand
    * you want split loom for power wire under the hood, and ideally the entire length for all cables
    * a pack of black zip ties and zip tie mounts for securing wires in-place
    * a board to mount the amp to and hardware to mount the amp to the vehicle. avoid mounting the amp to the box. the reasons are plentiful, trust me... just avoid it.
    * a drill and drill bit for making a hole in the floor for grounding, masking tape for defining an area for sand paper for removing paint, and a bolt sized for the grounding ring terminal. make the hole just big enough to run the bolt through.
    * a firewall grommet for passing the power wire through the fire wall - and a drill and drill bit (a hole saw bit or step-bit) for making a hole large enough for the 4 awg or 1/0 grommet
    * silicone tube to seal the firewall and ground penetrations to the vehicle to inhibit water ingress and rust
    * 4 awg or 1/0 ring terminals for your big 3 - 5/16" for most, but 1/4" for the alt positive
    * i prefer to mount my amps and subs with t-nuts and machine screws - most reliable method since you can strip out wood screws
    * best way to secure ring terminals to large power wire is with a tabletop butane torch and low melting point solder. otherwise, a vice can crimp the connectors.
    * i use heat shrink for everything i can. you can buy kits with various sizes at hardware stores. most is 2:1 so buy it as close to the size you need as possible - this means buy a wide range.
    This really does not sound like the job for me, how much would it cost to get an amp/subs installed?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast