Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: 99 F-150 Extended Cab System Design Help

hotshot5231 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

99 F-150 Extended Cab System Design Help

Hey all, new to the forum. I've done quite a bit of reading/research here but never actually posted. Wanted to get some opinions on the setup i'm looking to put in my truck. I've done systems before, but never with the space limitations of an extended cab truck.

I currently have
    • Clarion CX501 Double Din Head Unit
    • Kappa 682.9cf in rear doors
    • Kappa 680.9cs in front doors

I would like to add a kappa 4 channel amp to power the door speakers properly and a kappa 1 channel amp to power a sub. I've thought about a 5 channel amp but I can't find one I really like that has the RMS power i'm looking for (100x4 + 300-500x1). From all the research i've done I think my best sub option is a stealthbox that goes in the center console of the truck. Any input on the amp setup would be greatly appreciated of course.

My main question being how I should implement the wiring setup for this truck. I'm currently thinking that i'd run my power (0-4ga) to a 2 farad cap which would then run to a distribution block (fused or not fused?) and split out the power to the four channel and single channel amps. I think I can fit all of this under the back seat and keep it looking clean.

Any suggestions on the best amp kits/gauge wires to use here? I've seen some reccomendations for KnuKonceptz on the forum, but i've never actually used them. I've read some different theories on CCA wire vs pure copper wire but since i'm not looking for a real competition setup I'm not sure I need the pure copper here. Also any input on the best caps/distribution blocks would be appreciated.

I also thinking i'll need to upgrade to an optima yellow top as well as completing the big 3.

ColterDC is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 99 F-150 Extended Cab System Design Help

Caps are garbage and a waste of money.

And why do you think you need an overpriced yellow top? My F250 is running more rms plus front and rear dvd screens and I've never had a problem with my stock alt (130amp) and stock battery.

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
    Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
    2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
    Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
    Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stupid double post..Grrrrr

Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.

Mustang GT V8

Mercury Sable

s7jstep1 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have a 97 f150 extended cab and i have found myself in the same position as you. i decided to just put an enclosure on my back seat because im too cheap to spens $600 on the stealthbox lol.

the optima batteries are more expensive for a reason. they really are a better design than a standard automotive battery. they can handle a lot of deep cycling without ruining them (unlike a standard car battery that should never be deeply discharged). if you have a lot of other accessories (sound system, off road lights, winch) its worth it to me to spend an extra $50 over a standard battery

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColterDC View Post
    Caps are garbage and a waste of money.

And why do you think you need an overpriced yellow top? My F250 is running more rms plus front and rear dvd screens and I've never had a problem with my stock alt (130amp) and stock battery.
    Why do you say caps are a waste of money? I'm sure the stock alternator is fine, wouldn't replace unless I had real issues with the battery draining, and i've never heard anything bad about optima batteries. Not saying i'd absolutely have to have one, but why not?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s7jstep1 View Post
    i have a 97 f150 extended cab and i have found myself in the same position as you. i decided to just put an enclosure on my back seat because im too cheap to spens $600 on the stealthbox lol.

the optima batteries are more expensive for a reason. they really are a better design than a standard automotive battery. they can handle a lot of deep cycling without ruining them (unlike a standard car battery that should never be deeply discharged). if you have a lot of other accessories (sound system, off road lights, winch) its worth it to me to spend an extra $50 over a standard battery
    The stealthbox is my ideal setup. I've honestly thought about putting an enclosure in the back seat for the time being as $600 is awful pricey for a single 10. Then again I've heard them in some other guy's trucks and they sound great (for what they are)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot5231 View Post
    Why do you say caps are a waste of money? I'm sure the stock alternator is fine, wouldn't replace unless I had real issues with the battery draining, and i've never heard anything bad about optima batteries. Not saying i'd absolutely have to have one, but why not?
    A cap stores power for high power demand, but if your alt and battery are in good working order and able to provide all the needed power, then why add a cap? Plus caps tend to be band aids for people who are to cheap to upgrade to a HO alt.

I'm not saying an Optima battery is bad, it's just not needed. If you want to impress some idiots by showing off your overpriced battery go ahead, but I prefer to just stick to a normal battery that does the same thing as those over priced/over hyped batteries.

**Btw.. what the other poster said was correct, that a deep cycle battery holds up better against being decharged and recharged much better than a normal battery, but again, if your alt is able to produce enough power, your battery should never become decharged anyways. Deep cycle batteries are used by pros with multiple battery set ups at competitions where they will be playing their systems without the vehicle running, thus draining their batteries.**

Mustang GT V8

Mercury Sable

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not build your own box that fits exactly where you need it to fit.

I'm not familiar with your vehicle dimensions, but I built my box for $40 (wood and carpet) and it fits perfectly behind my rear seat and sounds great.

Mustang GT V8

Mercury Sable

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand that a cap isn't the answer for a weak battery/alternator, but my understanding of a cap is basically its able to provide the quick burst of power that your battery might not be able to due to the fact that it can discharge its power much faster than a battery (think camera flash)...

My space is pretty limited... i'm currently looking at about a 8-9 inch verticle clearance on the high spots of my back seat, with all the supports and what not underneath them there's just not much room for a decent sub without using risers on the seat which I'd like to avoid. There also isn't anything behind the back bench as its flush with the rear of the cab. I know MTX makes the thunderform with dual 8's but that isn't my first choice.

My other option is to use the back seat and set a sub box in the seat, but I want to make it look as clean as possible and hate to give up the seat (even though its rare anyone uses it)

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Where in TN are you? I used to have a 03 Extended cab f150.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm about 30-45 min from knoxville in greenback... if you have any box ideas or suggestions feel free

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

I took my backseats out

There really isn't enough room for subs under the seats. All the underseat boxes are tiny.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well dang... I was hoping you knew something I didn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

It basically is what it is. No secrets as far as space.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, that's why I keep coming back to the stealthbox

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast