Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help with my amplifier

Robert09 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help with my amplifier

I have a 1000 w amp max with 2 channels and it's bridgeable. I installed a 12" German subwoofer with dual voice coils. And ran them in series. My system sounds great until I push it too hard and the amplifier turns off. I have checked for proper voltage at the amp and have a good ground it only happen about 25-30 mins after I start pushing the spkr. And after the amp " cools down" it operates properly

GreenBook is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help with my amplifier

The amps overheating and doing a safety turn off to protect itself from damage. If it's a cheaper amp it most likely has bad heat dissipation. Pretty common and normal occurrence.

You can either learn to live with it; not bump for sustained amounts of time; buy a better amp; move it somewhere more ventilated; build a cooling rack for it with external fans; or some combination. Odds are though if its a cheap amp it's gonna overheat now & then no matter what you do.

DECKPioneer DEH-P6000UBAMPSKicker ZX1000.1; ZX350.4SUBS2 12" Type R'sHIGHSCadence CWM6'sPOWER160amp KnuKonceptz alt; 1/0 StreetWire

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

we don't know the amp mfr/model or the impedance of the coils. could be a slight short in the wiring that is only a problem at higher voltages. could be you are driving the amp into clipping and it protects itself and the speaker. could easily be thermal.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

grandam888 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my best guess is noob decided to use gain as a volume know, and is over driving the **** out of the amp, causing it to overheat after playing for a while.

set your gains accordingly and it should stop overheating, if you need help with the CORRECT way of setting gains, please post model number and if possible full specs of amplifier.

FI BTL 18" Fully Loaded
    6cuFT box after all displacements( spl box 4.79 after displ.)
    Planet Audio BB2400.1
    2 runs of 1/0 Gauge Wire
    Kinetic HC800
    Crappy Pioneer HU
    doing 162db in port, 147db in kickpanel

grandam888 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my best guess is noob decided to use gain as a volume know, and is over driving the **** out of the amp, causing it to overheat after playing for a while.

set your gains accordingly and it should stop overheating, if you need help with the CORRECT way of setting gains, please post model number and if possible full specs of amplifier.

FI BTL 18" Fully Loaded
    6cuFT box after all displacements( spl box 4.79 after displ.)
    Planet Audio BB2400.1
    2 runs of 1/0 Gauge Wire
    Kinetic HC800
    Crappy Pioneer HU
    doing 162db in port, 147db in kickpanel

nateberrier is offline ******

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post

This

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post

This

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

http://www.execution-audio.com/

Closed Thread