Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Fuse Questions

The_Grimy_One is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Fuse Questions

Ok, 2 questions. So if I have a 120 amp alternator and plan on doing the Big 3 Alt to Battery upgrade, what size fuse should I run within that wire.

Now on that same set up, what is a proper size fuse to use on my amps, (near the battery)? It is a 2 channel, giving around 1200 watts, and another 2 channel giving around 300 watts. I am running a single 1/0 gauge to the back, then distributing it to the 2 amps with 4 gauge.

Deck: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front Stage: Incriminator Audio I65C / Front Amp: Alpine MRV F540
    Sub: 12" TC Sounds 2000 / Sub Amp: MMATS 2000.1
    Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree
    Traded With: ge_off_me, Imjtnotu

ahole-ic is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Fuse Questions

The fuse is there to prevent a fire in the event that the wire shorts to ground. For this reason we fuse for the wire rating and we always put the fuse near the battery. That is because the battery cannot be turned off like the alternator can. Now, if you're using 1/0, about 225-250 amp fuse is adequate. If it's 4 awg use 100 - 125 amps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What kind of wire are you running? Because, I fuse just below the capcity of my wire. Most manufacturers will list the amp capcity in their specs on their site. Also, here's a chart just to get a general idea.
    Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes & Speaker Wire Size and Length

All girls are whores, just ask your mom how you got here.

Feedback Thread
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/407829-blackfx4intn-feedback-thread.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, in your set up, your fusing will be different at the distro block than the fusing at the battery. Naturally, because you are using 2 different guage wires. Hope this helps.

All girls are whores, just ask your mom how you got here.

Feedback Thread
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/407829-blackfx4intn-feedback-thread.html

The_Grimy_One is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I will probably be fusing the alt to the battery with 4 gauge...

Deck: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front Stage: Incriminator Audio I65C / Front Amp: Alpine MRV F540
    Sub: 12" TC Sounds 2000 / Sub Amp: MMATS 2000.1
    Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree
    Traded With: ge_off_me, Imjtnotu

Closed Thread