Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Re: Wire Comparison

Is it possible that the plastic core really measured .075", not .175" considering the analog dial on the calipers used? Again, not bustin bal*s, just curious. Thnx!!

CrazyKenKid is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey good point in what you pointed out!

each bundle is smaller in size as the piece of plastic in the center. I will get you a number when I go home next, in about 2 wks.

yes the center plastic core is 0.175 in diameter, what I did was simple subtract the core out of the major diameter to yield me a new diameter.

The total diameter jacket included is 0.7 (so almost 3/4 of an inch) the conductor diameter with the core is 0.45 (so almost 1/2 of an inch thick) which means the jacket 0.25 (so a 1/4 of an inch) think.

now I took the conductor diameter and subtracted the core diameter from it to get my new diameter of .275 (which is larger then a 1/4 of an inch) so this left me to believe that the core was about 1/4 % of the conductor diameter.

now I said the conductor is 40% of the total diameter, the jacket is 38%, which leave the core to be 22% of the overall total diameter. Keeping in mind that the 6 copper strands are smaller in diameter (not sure by how much but enough). Now if the copper and core was the same size then this would make your math work out to about ~14% as you stated above but since the copper is smaller than the core this make the percentage of the core increase. If this make sense. Well it did to me at the time back in the day lol.

let me know what you think also I when I go home next I will get you a picture of the core being measure, along with one of the ropes of copper and maybe I did this wrong from the get go but we will figure it out! in about two weeks time.

as for part 3 ya load testing a piece of 1/0 vs another piece of 1/0 in a LAB would be expensive. Now if I had a carbon load and a steady power supply then I could do it but those are expensive and I just got out of school.

I might actually do a load test on some of the wires in my own car one day when I buy a clamp meter, as kind an amateur thing but that is about all. I assume I will find out that each wire will be able to handle the load about as good as the next but we will see lol!

Ref: DUMPED(hc 2400), Civic96Lx (orion 4002), fbi90909
    (Fi Btl 15, RE SE (4) ), juukno(Soleniod), DDbump (orion endcaps), sundownz( Lightning Audio S4.1000.1D), TRADED sikcavy my orion 2500d for his double din, makeshiftaudio Orion 2500d, KyleBechtold Carpet, t3audios_160sdbjeep SAZ2000

icehellion is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Icon32 Re: Wire Comparison

You've sold me on KNUCONCEPTZ, where is the best place to buy them?

1997 SVT Cobra w/Procharger
    DEH-P01 / SPZ60 / GT2300 / SPG555 / PDX M-12

CAT MAN is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2373 Post(s)

hmm i never added my bulls audio stuff. damit ill re post it

la sound 4 guage bullz audio 0 and efx o

efx 0 bullz 0 and marine 2 gauge

Doctor Rockso is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

THANK YOU for this sweet thread! Excellent Work.

6. Thanks CrazyKenKid thanked for this post
    Likes CrazyKenKid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2373 Post(s)

here is cadence vs bullz

8. Thanks CrazyKenKid thanked for this post
    phampau is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, awesome thread! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us!

10. Thanks CrazyKenKid thanked for this post
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Wow I understand flexibility in wire as a convienvence factor ONLY! As for my credentials I am A Master Electrician and IBEW Lu 24 member. The wire size is based on a Manufacturing Regulation. If you were to incluse a piece of 1/0 thhn electrical wire it wire be very stiff and a lil thinner than the audio wire, but overall the current carrying capcity should be very close. A better test in my opinion would be a load test. I would take 10' lenghts of each wire and set up a load of some sort that is repeatable. This would also require a infared thermometer and in line ammeter since working in dc. I would be more interested in the numbers regurding temperature of wire and currant draw. Another test is a simple resistance test. Take the length of wire and place your meter at each end and watch how long for it to read. Visually all of them can look different because each manufacturer can use finer strands which leads to more strands to create the flexibility of the cable. But overall good comparison study.

12. Thanks CrazyKenKid thanked for this post
    CrazyKenKid is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    Wow I understand flexibility in wire as a convienvence factor ONLY! As for my credentials I am A Master Electrician and IBEW Lu 24 member. The wire size is based on a Manufacturing Regulation. If you were to incluse a piece of 1/0 thhn electrical wire it wire be very stiff and a lil thinner than the audio wire, but overall the current carrying capcity should be very close. A better test in my opinion would be a load test. I would take 10' lenghts of each wire and set up a load of some sort that is repeatable. This would also require a infared thermometer and in line ammeter since working in dc. I would be more interested in the numbers regurding temperature of wire and currant draw. Another test is a simple resistance test. Take the length of wire and place your meter at each end and watch how long for it to read. Visually all of them can look different because each manufacturer can use finer strands which leads to more strands to create the flexibility of the cable. But overall good comparison study.
    Hey I know what you mean about the load test. The only issue is I would have to find a source that would maintain the voltage for a long enough period. In regards to a load I was thinking a carbon load but as of right now the source and load would be out of my own pocket plus 10feet of wiring. Currently (pun intended) I just finished school and obtained a full time job as an Instrumentation Control Engineer and now my company is going to get me trained as an industrial electrician complete with an full apprenticeship to boot!

so down the road I may have some more money to play with and finish up this load test!

Ref: DUMPED(hc 2400), Civic96Lx (orion 4002), fbi90909
    (Fi Btl 15, RE SE (4) ), juukno(Soleniod), DDbump (orion endcaps), sundownz( Lightning Audio S4.1000.1D), TRADED sikcavy my orion 2500d for his double din, makeshiftaudio Orion 2500d, KyleBechtold Carpet, t3audios_160sdbjeep SAZ2000

jkrswld is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Wow thanks for the info. I am changing out my power wire today! I ran a Q-power power wire because I had it laying around. However I am switching to my Tsunami wire today!

Wife's ride 1Sikyota 2000 Toyota Celica GTS Sponsors: JBL, Metra, Luminicsbulbs.com, 12Vspotlight.com, Tsunami, Ballistic, Optima 137.4 DB
    My ride Jokerswild 1972 AMC Hornet Head Unit JVC KD-S28 Front Stage Kenwood 6.5's Subs Memphis M1 12's Sub amp JL Audio 1/1000 135.6 DB

bcdinh is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hi,
    Does anyone know any websites that sells just a couple feet of 1/0awg wire? I just need a couple of feet to do my Big3. Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2373 Post(s)

bump

basebalz13 is offline D-money

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

This thread was pointless and your findings are invalid to show which wire is the best, or which wire is the best for your money

Team Cactus Sounds, Team SHOK elite, Team Second Skin, Team Mechman, Team XS power, Team Sundown

Team GroundShakaz (MECA team I started)

Quote Originally Posted by mayo_bryan View Post
    i saw david's work , impressed !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudman View Post
    And so were the judges!!!:lol: Sorry man, that was so insensitive of me!! I've been there before!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by basebalz13 View Post
    This thread was pointless and your findings are invalid to show which wire is the best, or which wire is the best for your money
    and you sir are a fail troll

AssPenny is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by basebalz13 View Post
    While i don't necessarily agree with this blanket statement, there is some truth to it. This thread is great from a bend-ability/flexibility and price comparison but it doesn't take into account the primary function of a power cable... the power. The true test to a power cable is how much power it can handle by measuring impedance/resistance, loss over distance, heat rating (ie how much amperage it can handle before it gets too hot), etc..

There has to got be some electrical engineers or EE students on this board that have access to equipment that can test this. Those kind of test will show you which power cable can most efficiently handle the kind of power pushed through a 1/0 cable.

Great job otherwise, it's nice to see all these cables next to each other for a visible comparison.

Craig - Who will probably use KNU Kollussus unless someone can run some power testing and show otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

User Tag List