Closed Thread

Reload Thread: SUBWOOFER SETUP HELP NEEDED..... L5 Solo Baric 10 - 2 Ohm DVC in Kicker Ported Box

bsmith714 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SUBWOOFER SETUP HELP NEEDED..... L5 Solo Baric 10 - 2 Ohm DVC in Kicker Ported Box

Guys Im new to this forum and need some help. I just got a Kicker Sub and enclosure for my ride. I had a few questions on the best way to set this up. The car is a 2010 Challenger. So plan on going in trunk with box. The questions I have are listed below. Any help would be appreciated.

1.) Speaker is a L5 Solo Baric 10 inch 2 ohm DVC speaker, What is best type of wiring for this speaker?
    2.) What type of amp should I go with? Mono, Etc.
    3.) What type of wattage should I buy?

Thanks.
    Last edited by bsmith714; 04-27-2011 at 01:42 PM.

All_Logix is offline Formerly CivicGTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Re: SUBWOOFER SETUP HELP NEEDED..... L5 Solo Baric 10 - 2 Ohm DVC in Kicker Ported Bo

I wouldn't use anything less that 12 guage from the amp to the speaker, 10 guage would actually be ideal. Yes, get a mono amp because with the amount of power that things wants, a class D is going to be more efficient. Since your wiring options are limited to wiring the sub up at 1 ohm or 4 ohms, either get a beefy class D that puts out around 600-700 @ 4 ohms (unlikely) or an amp that is stable at 1 ohm, it will be alot easier to reach that 600-700 watt rms range at 1 ohm and consume ALOT less power.

3. Thanks bsmith714 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: SUBWOOFER SETUP HELP NEEDED..... L5 Solo Baric 10 - 2 Ohm DVC in Kicker Ported Bo

I believe this speaker is 2 Ohm. How many wiring options do I have?

Pataforce8 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith714 View Post
    I believe this speaker is 2 Ohm. How many wiring options do I have?
    Like CivicGti said, you can go with 4 ohms or 1 ohm. Series wiring will produce 4 ohms, parallel wiring will produce 1 ohm.

Here are some graphics of series and parallel wiring:

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams

Power is nothing without control.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/507941-pataforce8s-feedback-thread.html

6. Thanks bsmith714 thanked for this post
    skylineTT is offline bass=sekz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    689 Post(s)

Dual 2 ohm can be wired to either 4ohms final or 1 ohm final. The best thing to do for an amp is to get one that puts out 750-1000 watts at 1ohm (ED Nine.1, Hifonix bxi amps, etc.).. the box needs to be about 2.5-3 cubic feet tuned to 30(ish) hz. sub and port firing toward the back of the car.

Refs: Dipitydoo, appollyon, bad95gt, revrider1, jwh1598, ampjunkielikeme, deathpenalty18, ssackett, snoopysnooper, corey0928, SPLAudio, Clifff150, CL1CKCLACK, ShawnT, West + more

8. Thanks bsmith714 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guys thanks for the help. The wiring diagram put it in perspective for me. Ive been away from the Car Audio Game too long......lol BTW the box is made for speaker. The enclosure and speaker came together from Kicker. So I do have another question to ask. I bought this car with the upgraded Boston Acoustic package. I dont plan on changing anything else, just want some more bass. Not looking to get out of control. With that said what are your suggestions to questions below.

1.) What brand amp should I buy, best bang for my buck?
    2.) Is a Farad Cap suggest for this setup?
    3.) Hooking amp to factory stereo, Is a hi low converter the only way to go? My radio has an option to be ordered with factory sub and amp. Can I tap into these inputs on stock head unit?

All_Logix is offline Formerly CivicGTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

For the amp, The Hifonix suggested above isnt bad, they put out alot of power...I wouldn't recoment a cap, they are just a waste of money in my opinion. And for the RCA conversion, I would say pull out your factory HU and look at the back, I don't know of any that have preouts but I could be wrong, if there isnt your going to have to tie into the speaker wire because that stock sub is most likely wired into a factory amp that is elsewhere in the vehicle...however if you want to find it and tie into the sub outputs from the factory amp it would be a better signal...

Closed Thread

User Tag List