Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help needed - Sony DSX-S100 + amp + 4 speakers + sub-woofer +amp

steveclv is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help needed - Sony DSX-S100 + amp + 4 speakers + sub-woofer +amp

I need some help guys as I am a bit out of my depth (but learning fast).

I have a Sony DSX-S100 head unit that offers 2 sets of 2V preouts where the rear ones are listed as REAR/SUB - you switch them between the two.

I have four 6*9 speakers powered through a 4 channel amplifier
    I have a 10" Subwoofer powered through a 1 channel mono amplifier

My question is

1. Do I drive my 4 channel amplifier with the 2 front preouts in 2:4 mode and drive the subwoofer amplifier off one of the rear/sub outputs and switch the head unit to SUB out on the rear channels?

or

2. Do I drive my 4 channel amplifier with all 4 preouts in Front and Rear configuration, setting the head unit to REAR out on the rear channels, and then use a Y splitter to take one of the rear channels to the subwoofer amplifier?

Hope that all makes sense

Thanks!

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help needed - Sony DSX-S100 + amp + 4 speakers + sub-woofer +amp

Ok. I would use the front and rear outputs for your 4 channel amp and use the sub output for you mono amp going to your sub.

If you notice that your sound is not as clean and loud as it should be, it may be because of the 2V preouts. Depending how long your RCAs are, your amp probably see less than 2 volts. If this is the case. I would get a line driver. Their pretty cheap. This device will give your amps the correct amount of voltage needed. This is just in case.

Oh if you are wanting more flexibility with your setup look at a RF 3 Sixty or 3sixty.2 No need for concerns for RCA voltage, degradation of sound, etc. Once again this is not necessary. Just something to look into if you are not happy with the sound.

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

steveclv is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help needed - Sony DSX-S100 + amp + 4 speakers + sub-woofer +amp

Ahh, you misunderstand

The Sony deck only has 4 outputs - front and rear stereo pairs

However the rear are also able to be switched as sub output so that pair are labelled as REAR/SUB

In the settings I can define the rear pair of preouts to have either the rear stereo on them OR the sub but NOT both.

So I need to decide whether to use the Front pair to drive all 4 speakers at the amp (and thus lose any Front/Rear fade control) and drive the SUB from the rear outputs set to SUB in the menu

or

To drive the amp with 4 inputs - front and rear stereo pairs but Y of one of the rears and use the LPF in the sub amp to extract the sub frequencies.

I know it's not a high end system with a dedicated sub output but the price was right and it does what we want (basically a glorified iPod player).

Thanks for the info on the line driver - I'll see how it goes. The amps can take a 0.2V to 6V drive and I'm using 17' MonsterCable interconnects so hoping the voltage drop will be minimal.

Closed Thread