Re: two SIMPLE amp install questions!!
The most likely cause is the fact that you ignored installation rule number one when you were installing the amp: You didn't disconnect the battery ground before you did any work and then reconnect it after you were completely finished. I'll be totally honest, with that 1/0 UNFUSED wire, if you had touch it to ground somewhere, you would have been lucky if you only scared yourself half to death when you got a fireworks display. Worst case the wire arcs and welds itself to a piece of the frame and heats up until it melts (that's a lot of current for 1/0) your battery goes thermal and catches fire or explodes and the car burns to the ground. You should NEVER run a power wire without a fuse at the battery, especially 1/0. Is a couple of days of waiting worth the risk of buring up the car?
As long as the ground and power wire are both of sufficient size for the current flow, then any difference in size doesn't matter. If you only need 8ga, anything 8ga or larger will do for either and they don't have to be the same size.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.
Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.