Closed Thread

Reload Thread: two SIMPLE amp install questions!!

bobo244 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

two SIMPLE amp install questions!!

I just upgraded to a better amp for my subs and it fried and started smoking when I inserted the power wire, this is the 3rd amp ive installed, with no problems from the others. Heres the questions.

1. DOES THE POWER WIRE HAVE TO BE FUSED FOR THE AMP TO WORK RIGHT???

- I havent got my inline anl fuse yet for my 0 gauge power wire, and i just wanted to install the amp first to hear my new subs before the fuse. Could this have been the reason my amp fried when i inserted the power wire? The amp fried as soon as only a few strands touched the power terminal on the amp.

2. CAN THE GROUND WIRE BE LARGER THAN THE POWER?

- I know the power should never be larger than the ground, but can the ground be 0 gauge if the power is 4 gauge? The reason for this question is once i put in the unfused 0 gauge into the amp and it fried, i tried my previously ran 4 gauge with a inline fuse on it and was just wondering if that is a problem?

THANKS!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: two SIMPLE amp install questions!!

I wrote another post describing the whole installation process and exactly what happened, but got only a couple replies and which really didnt help. I shortened it up a lil so if you want to hear the whole story just look up my last post from 2 days ago in the wiring, elec, and installation forum.

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The most likely cause is the fact that you ignored installation rule number one when you were installing the amp: You didn't disconnect the battery ground before you did any work and then reconnect it after you were completely finished. I'll be totally honest, with that 1/0 UNFUSED wire, if you had touch it to ground somewhere, you would have been lucky if you only scared yourself half to death when you got a fireworks display. Worst case the wire arcs and welds itself to a piece of the frame and heats up until it melts (that's a lot of current for 1/0) your battery goes thermal and catches fire or explodes and the car burns to the ground. You should NEVER run a power wire without a fuse at the battery, especially 1/0. Is a couple of days of waiting worth the risk of buring up the car?

As long as the ground and power wire are both of sufficient size for the current flow, then any difference in size doesn't matter. If you only need 8ga, anything 8ga or larger will do for either and they don't have to be the same size.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you very much. I have installed many amps before and just compelty forgot to take off the neg on the battery. It never hit a ground tho, once i plugged it into the amp the amp fried i guess. but it doesnt make sense why.

Bumpin_Ack is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you make sure your ground was good and solid? Did you make sure your ground was the first thing you plugged into your amp? I am not sure about the inline fuse, but i was under the impression those are only to keep your car from catching fire, and the fuses on the amp were to protect the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by smullen
    You could be talking to a fricken Engineer who designed the **** thing or a 14 year old who thinks an Ohm is only a sound you make when meditating...

Stealth is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

an in-line fuse isn't essential, but it's a pretty **** good idea. An in-line fuse is just a protection, that if the amp is drawing too much, the fuse filament will burn out, thereby breaking the line, and stopping current from going to the amp. The system will work without an in-line fuse, but it's a good idea to always have one, because then usually the most you'll damage is the burnt out fuse, which is $2.00 to replace, but if you just have it wired straight, then you have the risk of damaging the electrical system of your car, permanently damaging your amp, or in a worst case scenario, starting an electrical fire, which isn't pretty, or cheap to fix the damage.

Amplifier fuses are backups, to protect the amp, but that doesn't mean you don't need an in-line fuse.

Closed Thread