Closed Thread

Reload Thread: System sounds like SHI!T and idk why. HELP!

RuAk is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

System sounds like SHI!T and idk why. HELP!

First off i am going to list my equipment,

2 12" Kicker L7s subs in a '7th order custom bandpass box ( I do not know exact porting volumes) but port is huge.

1 Kicker zx1500.1 amp.

1 Kicker zx350.4 amp for inside speakers.

Alpine 9884 Head unit

jl audio 6x9s for back

Kicker 4x6 speakers for front

2 kinetik batteries ( one under hood one in trunk)

all 0 GA wiring besides 4 channel amp has 4 ga wiring

All connected to my front battery.

Have big 3 correct with 0 GA wire fused.

System was fine when i had no 4x6s and a 4 channel amp i recently got installed.

Ever since we installed the speakers and 4 channel amp, the inside speakers has been cutting off and coming back on randomly and sometimes fading back in. Seems to happen after about 10 minutes of playin. When they cut off, the subs still hit. They cut off and on random but a lot.

Then i hear this thumping from the subs. for example, i would have my system turned on and if i pause it and turn volume from 0 to 1 it will thump, if i brake, it will thump, if i switch on head lights it will thump. The thump is not too loud but its loud enough to notice it and ask wtf.

What i did,

Re sanded and re grounded mostly all connections. Checked RCA cables but im not sure to tell if they are bad but what does happen when i plug them into RCA inputs on amp, i can hear like microphone type noises and the thumping when wires are touching or are inserted in the inputs on amp. Also heard weird noise from subs when playing songs at normal loud level like another soft thumping bass beat is playing in the background. Normal level for me is 14/35 on headunit. Sometimes il go up to 18.

EDIT:

another thing is i have engine whine but i think its due to rca and power wire lined up together, i have to switch either one opposite form each other correct?

Im stuck on this crap. I dont know what to do. Im already sending the amp back to kicker for repair because i have strong feelings its the amps RCA input thats fucked up. Its the new 2010 model zx1500.1 amp and im sure the soder job is crappy since its victim of being poorly built due to mass production quality loss these days but who knows, we'll see.

My head unit is what im thinking is next to replace. I had it for almost 3 years and the first 8 months i had it, the lights went out on it but it shows the screen and the screen lights so its fine.

As for the inside speakers cutting off i am stuck, is it the 4 channel amp? or could it be the wiring? My buddy did it but i cant contact him lately to ask him questions.

I bought the amp in like new condition used from c-list from some lady that had it in her RV that she sold. The amp works. so i don't know if its the amp.

Any suggestions? Help?

subzero is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Re: System sounds like SHI!T and idk why. HELP!

you got a whole lotta issues from what I see. I would pull all that shit out and redo everything. what are the spec of that box.

3. Thanks michaellane thanked for this post
    benzmansl65amg is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like electrical issues when your speakers cut out. does you amp go into protect. Does the power light go off? It may be head unit related with all the noise and a remote wire problem. Or RCA or RCA output. Could entirely be the HU no way to know without some testing.

Head Unit: Kenwood KDC-X996
    Components: Image Dynamics CXS62 V.2
    Amplifier: Rockford Fosgate T600-4
    Subwoofers: Image Dynamics IDQ10v3
    Electrical Upgrades: HO Alt and Big 3
    refs: trunks9_us, calikid, bassjunky, pickup1, bumpin buick, wgsj_fortvalley, holla105, Louisianacrx, pioneerspl1990, N2caraudio.com, terra, canyouhearmatt and many others

asultsniper50j is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a real bad ground loop or engine feed back... this can be from bad grounds or an alt that cant handle the power or even a head unit that cant hand everything at ounce.... i had a head unit that caused me to here all kinds of engine feed back and the same thump in the subs when i stopped or turned the volume 1 notch... i thought i had a ground loop problem in the alt but when i changed the head unit the problem almost completely diapered except a little whine and i fixed that by ...(now this is ghetto) jamming wires in with the rca's on the grounding part and grounding the wires... now you can achieve this "ground loop isolation" with out the ghetto wire jamming technique by buying a ground loop isolator at radio shack or something and you just plug rca's in one side and rca's out on the other and attached a ground wire coming out of it and your golden in most cases... this basically means that your head unit isn't providing the proper amount of grounding for your rca's ... either make a bigger thicker ground connecting for the head unit or its possible.. like in my case that the head unit had an internal ground issue and couldn't handle its own output power.

I hope this helps your problem... and you should google or youtube "ground loop" or "ground loop isolation" for more info.

6. Thanks michaellane thanked for this post
    CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Let me guess.......you have a Pioneer H/U?

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

8. Thanks michaellane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sounds like something ground related, like asult said, the thumping in the subs happened in my mustang until i ground it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    it says alpine in the op. lol.

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    it's better to just read before you start guessing

CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I suppose eh.....

I would try grounding the rca's for the alt whine and the thump. Check connections for power and grounds for speakers cutting out.

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

Mookie is offline Kush Blunts Green Lean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Redo everything..

RuAk is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the shop said its my back speakers ( 6x9s) going out and the amp goes into protect mode so it does not blow em any quicker. The speakers supposedly are/went going bad because of the crossover switches on the amp were not set right or were off.

Does all this sound about right?

Closed Thread