Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Putting in an on/off switch for an amp??

kerbyjonsonjr is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Putting in an on/off switch for an amp??

I am thinking about putting in a mono amp and a subwoofer and I was wondering if it i possible to hook up an on/off switch for the amp just in case I don't want a bass overload for some songs. I have looked around and I have seen some people mention but I am just wondering how exactly to do it. Could I just hook up the remote turn on from the lamp to the switch? I am thinking about getting a switch that lights up and I was wondering and it has 3 wires and I was wondering where I would connect them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Thanks thumpin4life thanked for this post

MONSONwarrior is offline Constantly Rebuilding... MONSONwarrior is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Putting in an on/off switch for an amp??

if it has three wires you'll have your positive, ground, and remote wires. Then hook your remote to your amp up to the switch

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
    Pioneer AVIC-U310BT | Eclipse SC6500 | MB Quart Q4.80
    (2) Fi BTL N2 12 in 4.5 cubes @ 33hz | Cactus K5 | XS D3100 & D3400 | Knu 0 Gauge | Big 3 | 250a Alt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So I wouldn't have to connect the remote to my radio at all right? I could just go straight to the switch? Where could I connect the positive and ground?

MONSONwarrior is offline Constantly Rebuilding... MONSONwarrior is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerbyjonsonjr View Post
    So I wouldn't have to connect the remote to my radio at all right? I could just go straight to the switch? Where could I connect the positive and ground?
    Theoretically no. Depending on if you want the light on when the car is off or if it's on you can either connect it to the radio's remote wire for it to turn off when the radio is off or just connect it to a constant 12volt source so it's lit with the car off and then when you flip it it give the amp the 12volt signal.

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
    Pioneer AVIC-U310BT | Eclipse SC6500 | MB Quart Q4.80
    (2) Fi BTL N2 12 in 4.5 cubes @ 33hz | Cactus K5 | XS D3100 & D3400 | Knu 0 Gauge | Big 3 | 250a Alt

OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

If you run you remote into the positive and then out to the amp, ground the negative to a screw or into the ground on your h/u. The switch will then only light when the car is on. The amp will only come on when the switch is turned on. If you do this make sure you buy a good switch, one that will stay secured to the dash or wherever you are mounting it. Cheap switches will not stay mounted!

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser with Box built by Pro-Rabbit
    H/U Kenwood DNX6960
    Sub: 1-18" Zv3 with NS coils and cone Sub Amp: Mmats 2100.2
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio L6 mids, SEAS Neo Tweets, SAX 100.4, RF 3sixty.2
    Bought From: Rio, davidtemple, Bassin Buick, Pro-Rabbit, Kangaroux, KyleBechtold Traded With: WhiteDragon551 Sold To: jdmeklove, Kpozr2, 97accordalpine

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaBunny View Post
    If you run you remote into the positive and then out to the amp, ground the negative to a screw or into the ground on your h/u. The switch will then only light when the car is on. The amp will only come on when the switch is turned on. If you do this make sure you buy a good switch, one that will stay secured to the dash or wherever you are mounting it. Cheap switches will not stay mounted!
    The switch I am looking at has 3 wires. I would post the link but it wont let me. I guess the extra one is specifically for the light. Where would I connect the third wire? Could I just join that together to the positive? Or should I connect to my cigarette lighter or something?

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

the third wire is the ground for the little light in the switch. make sure you don't have the remote wire backwards. basically, just hook the remote lead from the head unit into the (+) on the switch, and the remote to the amp on the other, or the light will not shut off with the switch....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK excellent! That doesn't sound too bad at all. Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it.

Closed Thread

User Tag List