Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to stick a wire through coilovers? STUPID question

I have a dual voice coilover sub. There are two sets of brackets on each side. Now i'm confused on how to stick a wire through this? It is a JL 10w3D6 sub if that gives you a better idea of what the connections look like. Does anyone have a picture? I'm gonna hook it up in Parallel because I have a mono camp to get it going at 3 ohms. In the two brackets on each side, there are openings on both sides. I'm assuming I stick the speaker wire through there and then close the brackets? Its metal so I'm not usre if I should be closing them. I wire the '+' to '+' and '-' to '-' and then from there, I have to wire the Q-Logic sub box speaker wire to my sub. Now the wire in the sub box has a two wire hook look to it. Do I take a wire out from both the '+' wires and put that in the plus section of the box. I'm confused on only one '+' wire would go into that sub box hookup then.

Sorry for all the stupid questions but really a newbie here learning. If someone has some pics to show that would be great on putting in the wire into the coils. Also, what gauge wire do you recommend for that? Thanks.
    Last edited by BMWGuy; 02-04-2004 at 04:44 PM.

B_Master_Flash is offline Trust me, I'm a doctor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How to stick a wire through coilovers? STUPID question

Quote Originally Posted by BMWGuy
    I have a dual voice coilover sub. There are two sets of brackets on each side. Now i'm confused on how to stick a wire through this? It is a JL 10w3D6 sub if that gives you a better idea of what the connections look like. Does anyone have a picture? I'm gonna hook it up in Parallel because I have a mono camp to get it going at 3 ohms. In the two brackets on each side, there are openings on both sides. I'm assuming I stick the speaker wire through there and then close the brackets? Its metal so I'm not usre if I should be closing them. I wire the '+' to '+' and '-' to '-' and then from there, I have to wire the Q-Logic sub box speaker wire to my sub. Now the wire in the sub box has a two wire hook look to it. Do I take a wire out from both the '+' wires and put that in the plus section of the box. I'm confused on only one '+' wire would go into that sub box hookup then.

Sorry for all the stupid questions but really a newbie here learning. If someone has some pics to show that would be great on putting in the wire into the coils. Also, what gauge wire do you recommend for that? Thanks.
    Ok, where to begin... If you want to wire in parallel, you need a wire going from one + terminal on your sub, to the other + terminal on the other side, and then a wire going from one of your - terminals on the sub, to the other -. Then get a piece of speaker wire going from the + terminal on the box (on the inside) to either one of the + terminals on your sub (doesn't matter which one) then have a wire from the - terminal on the box, going to either one of the - terminals on the sub. Hope I explained it in a way you can understand. I dont know what impedance your coils are, but lets say its Dual 3 ohms (what I think it is) when you run in parallel, you have to divide it by the number of voice coils, in this case 2. So your impedance would come out to 1.5ohms. Hope all this makes sence to you. You shoud be using 14 - 12 awg wire.
    http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31984 look at the very first picture, thats how yours should be wired.

BMWGuy is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey thanks for your reply. I acutally understand how the wiring should be now but I'm asking physically how do you wire the sub. The way the coils are I'm wondering hwo I physically wire the JL sub and then attach the sub box attachments to it. On each '+' and '-' terminal there is a little bracket. How do I put the wire in there is what I meant to ask? Then the sub box wire has a hook attachment and didnt know how that would be attached to the sub. If you have a JL sub then you probably know what I am tlaking about.

xSomeguyx is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Any chance you could take a pic of the terminal? It might be a solder terminal...

Pete is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you can post a few pictures I'll try and draw it out and explain it for you.

Kenwood Excelon x811
    CDT Audio HD-62 in custom kicks
    MTX Amp for CDTs
    Kicker ZR360
    ??? need to decide on a new sub

Closed Thread