Reload Thread: quick help. wiring DVC sub with pioneer GM-5100t

dwightikans is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

quick help. wiring DVC sub with pioneer GM-5100t

so here's the deal.

i've got a pioneer GM-5100t, which runs at 760w Max 380 RMS max
    it's 4 ohm i believe, and 2 ohm if bridged.

and my speaker is a 10" pioneer DVC 4 ohm. so if i wire it parallel it would run at 2 ohm..

so when i run the wires from the now 2 ohm speaker, should i bridge it to the amp
    or run to only 1 channel... which would limit power..
    but would bridging make it 1 ohm?

4 ohm DVC made to 2 ohm... attaching to a 4 ohm amp, bridged... would be 2 ohm and 2 ohm? or what.

please help!

misfit138 is offline a whole new type of aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: quick help. wiring DVC sub with pioneer GM-5100t

Get a 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm svc sub and bridge the amp.

This one would work.
    SSA Shop - SSA Dcon 12D4 subwoofer300rms

OR, get two low powered 4 ohm dvc subs, wire them to 2 ohms and connect one to each of the amp's channels.

A pair of these would work.
    ARC8D4 - ARC Audio 8" 150 Watt Dual 4-Ohm Subwoofer

The only real option you have, with what you've already bought, is to wire each vc directly to it's own channel of amplification. If you do this, you'll need to know how to properly set the gains on the amplifier. I'd be willing to bet you'd get better results with either of the other options I mentioned.

And by the way, real world ratings for your amp are as follows.

125 watts rms x2 @ 4 ohms
    190 watts rms x2 @ 2 ohms
    380 watts rms x1 @ 4 ohms bridged
    And even those numbers could be inflated.

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i got this set up for 140 dollars and it is fine for what i need. i was just wondering how to optimize. currently i'm running each channel to the own voice coil

for awhile it was a series wiring with it bridged. which is basically the same thing, but worse sound quality.

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwightikans View Post
    i got this set up for 140 dollars and it is fine for what i need. i was just wondering how to optimize. currently i'm running each channel to the own voice coil

for awhile it was a series wiring with it bridged. which is basically the same thing, but worse sound quality.
    You don't know what sound quality is. You also don't know what you're doing. However, since you only paid $140 for it and it's fine for what you need. Continue to run it as you have...you can then refer to this thread again to view Misfit's suggestions after you blow your shit up

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

azphat12 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With 1 DVC 4ohm speaker you are not going to get much honestly. You can wire it to 2ohm or 8ohms.

You can buy another speaker 4ohm and get what your looking for...
    Or you can buy a 2ohm DVC speaker which can do 1ohm or 4ohms.

I forget about bridging...been awhile since I had a bridged amp. Do they see half of the impedance that is presented to them?
    So if you wire your speakers to 2 ohms, then a bridged amp would see it as 1 ohm? Correct me if I am wrong....been awhile.

2008 Honda Civic SI coupe

Alpine CDA - 9887
    Boston Acoustics SC60 6.5 components (2 sets)
    Rockford Fosgate T600.4
    Rockford Fosgate T1000.1
    2 JL Audio 12W3-v2
    Optima Yellow (stock location)
    Knukonceptz wiring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azphat12 View Post
    With 1 DVC 4ohm speaker you are not going to get much honestly. You can wire it to 2ohm or 8ohms.

You can buy another speaker 4ohm and get what your looking for...
    Or you can buy a 2ohm DVC speaker which can do 1ohm or 4ohms.

I forget about bridging...been awhile since I had a bridged amp. Do they see half of the impedance that is presented to them?
    So if you wire your speakers to 2 ohms, then a bridged amp would see it as 1 ohm? Correct me if I am wrong....been awhile.
    You don't know what you're talking about. GTFO. Go ruin your ish while the OP ruins his.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daboyfrumdabx View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about. GTFO. Go ruin your ish while the OP ruins his.
    so how exactly am i going to ruin my stuff? all i did was come and ask for guidance. i didn't make any decisions or anything. and i'm running it with one channel to each coil. so i'm sure i'm not messing anything up.

also, you had to learn this at one point too, i was trying to learn but it seems that everyone on this forum is a douchebag of some sort.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    Get a 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm svc sub and bridge the amp.

This one would work.
    SSA Shop - SSA Dcon 12D4 subwoofer300rms

OR, get two low powered 4 ohm dvc subs, wire them to 2 ohms and connect one to each of the amp's channels.

A pair of these would work.
    ARC8D4 - ARC Audio 8" 150 Watt Dual 4-Ohm Subwoofer

The only real option you have, with what you've already bought, is to wire each vc directly to it's own channel of amplification. If you do this, you'll need to know how to properly set the gains on the amplifier. I'd be willing to bet you'd get better results with either of the other options I mentioned.

And by the way, real world ratings for your amp are as follows.

125 watts rms x2 @ 4 ohms
    190 watts rms x2 @ 2 ohms
    380 watts rms x1 @ 4 ohms bridged
    And even those numbers could be inflated.
    so also... i could just sell my 10" DVC 4 ohm and buy a 10" DVC 2 ohm if i want the most out of my current amp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so how exactly am i going to ruin my stuff? all i did was come and ask for guidance. i didn't make any decisions or anything. and i'm running it with one channel to each coil. so i'm sure i'm not messing anything up.

also, you had to learn this at one point too, i was trying to learn but it seems that everyone on this forum is a douchebag of some sort.
    Misfit gave you good info and you proceeded to say you didn't pay much and you want to optimize what you have. That doesn't sound much like someone that wants to learn. Someone that doesn't want to learn will end up ruining their equipment, plain and simple.
    so also... i could just sell my 10" DVC 4 ohm and buy a 10" DVC 2 ohm if i want the most out of my current amp?
    Now this makes it appear as though you want to learn. This makes our members more helpful. So yes, pick up a DVC2, if you want the most out of your current amp. I'd highly suggest you take a look at those links he gave you as they will be much better choices than a pioneer, pending the budget can handle them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daboyfrumdabx View Post
    Thank you.

I do believe the ohm configurations are correct that I posted.
    Also, I did ask about bridging impedance since I havnt had to bridge in years.

Try to help and be productive in a forum and you run into people like this. It cant be avoided.

Alpine CDA - 9887
    Rockford Fosgate T600.4
    Rockford Fosgate T1000.1
    2 JL Audio 12W3-v2
    Knukonceptz wiring

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

would it be ok to run the DVC 4 ohm with 500 RMS?

it says 350 RMS, but 1000 watt max. and isn't it better to overpower rather than underpower the sub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azphat12 View Post
    Thank you.

I do believe the ohm configurations are correct that I posted.
    Also, I did ask about bridging impedance since I havnt had to bridge in years.

Try to help and be productive in a forum and you run into people like this. It cant be avoided.
    Bridging isn't one of those things that's so involved, that you forget it after a few years. The amp sees whatever impedance you present to it(on paper, disregarding imp. rise and the fact that the voicecoils likely won't read exactly what they're rated at.)
    would it be ok to run the DVC 4 ohm with 500 RMS?

it says 350 RMS, but 1000 watt max. and isn't it better to overpower rather than underpower the sub?
    I assume you're looking at a new amp for your current sub? I ask because this wouldn't be possible with your current amp so I just want to confirm. If you are looking at a different amp, yes you'll be fine. You'll use the gain setting to control how much power(wattage) is actually sent to the sub. You can hook a 1000watt amp up to that sub and still be fine as long as you set the gain properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=daboyfrumdabx;7426337]Bridging isn't one of those things that's so involved, that you forget it after a few years. The amp sees whatever impedance you present to it(on paper, disregarding imp. rise and the fact that the voicecoils likely won't read exactly what they're rated at.)

I was questioning myself because I have not done it in years. When I say years I mean high school era. That was a LONG time ago that I had to deal with it.
    My only concern was does the amp see what you wire it as, or does it see half of what you wire it as. That was all really.

If you have an amp that is 2 ohm stable bridged....which I think I read you do.
    If you have ONE sub that is DVC 4ohm then you can wire it positive on amp to postives on sub, and negative on amp to negatives on sub. You would get 2 ohm.
    Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

Then hook that up to the bridged amp, and adjust the gains correctly so you dont clip the speakers. Multimeter and test tone are good for this.

At least that is what I would do, or just buy a mono block amp that does the power you want at 2ohm

btw, if I misread and you have 2 4ohm speakers then 1ohm or 4ohm is all you can work with....

Alpine CDA - 9887
    Rockford Fosgate T600.4
    Rockford Fosgate T1000.1
    2 JL Audio 12W3-v2
    Knukonceptz wiring

Closed Thread