Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Is the Big 3 upgrade good enough???

ruck703 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is the Big 3 upgrade good enough???

I wish I would have known this before buying the cap....lol. I thought I was really getting something good for my system...

Vital is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

while we're at it - can someone explain to me why exactly caps are bad??
    I'm not saying they aren't. I never used one and never will simply based on all the people bashing them, i just don't understand what exactly it does that hurts you. Someting along the lines of "power it stores still comes from sowhere so in reality u're rubbing your...."

Djltoronto is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vital View Post
    while we're at it - can someone explain to me why exactly caps are bad??
    I'm not saying they aren't. I never used one and never will simply based on all the people bashing them, i just don't understand what exactly it does that hurts you. Someting along the lines of "power it stores still comes from sowhere so in reality u're rubbing your...."
    They are not bad at all. They simply don't add what the uninformed people claim they add.
    But a cap, in no way detracts from the performance, and it most definitely acts as a filter, smoothing out any electrical noise you may have - and this is probably not audible.

The whole subject is a clusterfuck on the net, so good luck being pointed to a reliable source, and there is usually a similar reliable source saying the exact opposite.

Just read as much as you can on the subject, and make your own conclusion. Haven't read about anyone adding a cap and then reporting noticeable reduction in performance.

R34P3R is offline I Haz Bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Might want to look into a battery isolator if you're going to be running two completely different batteries (duralast wetcell and kinetik agm).

The Carlton: Entertaining yo momma since 1990

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, I'm hearing mixed opinions here...some folks are telling me to keep the Cap and get a second battery! They said that the cap will help when that deep bass demands alot of power! as supposed to pulling all of the energy from the alternator....

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruck703 View Post
    Okay, I'm hearing mixed opinions here...some folks are telling me to keep the Cap and get a second battery! They said that the cap will help when that deep bass demands alot of power! as supposed to pulling all of the energy from the alternator....
    Are those people telling you to keep the cap members on here?

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, i have a couple of guys PMing me telling me to keep it and use it....

kr15 is offline Polluting Residentials

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Big3 > caps

I am running an MBQ dsc at 2ohm (750rms) on a stock 90a alt. Prior to big 3 my lights would dim quite a bit volts were dropping. After doing big 3 in 0ga, at full tilt I never even drop below 13.8v. I myself was somewhat shocked by the effectiveness of it. My car idles at 14.4, so I am only dropping .6v...Now obviously, the power you plan is a completely different issue then my punk asss 750rms, but I am just speaking to the effectiveness of it

Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kr15 View Post
    Big3 > caps

I am running an MBQ dsc at 2ohm (750rms) on a stock 90a alt. Prior to big 3 my lights would dim quite a bit volts were dropping. After doing big 3 in 0ga, at full tilt I never even drop below 13.8v. I myself was somewhat shocked by the effectiveness of it. My car idles at 14.4, so I am only dropping .6v...Now obviously, the power you plan is a completely different issue then my punk asss 750rms, but I am just speaking to the effectiveness of it
    Now Imthinking about ordering some cheaper 1/0 gauge and do my whole systek with it instead of buying and expensice kit for just the amp...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you can avoid it, dont skimp out on wire...it defeats the purpose. Wire can only carry so much current, so when you skimp it, you skimp on the current delivery capability so to speak. Buying cheap 0ga that is really only the size of 4ga does no good..4ga is only rated at 125a at the MOST. Not everyone can afford Kicker and Streetwires etc, but shop around and make sure you can get the best wire possible

Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Well I was gunna go with Knu 0 gauge kit but that may not even be enough to reach my amp if it wont fit under the seat and now Im thinkin I may have to do the Big 3 too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Knu is pretty good. That is what I used. I liked it...If possible buy the kit and then buy like 12feet or so from this site for the big 3...as a matter of fact, if you measure what you need for big 3 and let me know, I might be able to help you..i have plenty of extra wire

Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

iroller is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is the monster cable 1/0 a quality wire, I think it's 400 series ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Knu is pretty good. That is what I used. I liked it...If possible buy the kit and then buy like 12feet or so from this site for the big 3...as a matter of fact, if you measure what you need for big 3 and let me know, I might be able to help you..i have plenty of extra wire
    Its an F-150 so I may need quite abit for the big 3

Djltoronto is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big3 > caps

If your amp is really putting out 750 watts, without even factoring in amplifier efficiency, at 14v, 750 watts is 53 amps. add in 20% waste for heat and it's 63.6 amps.
    Headlights, and ignition system can easily be 30 amps, bringing the current draw right up to 93..

I'd say you have a pretty good alternator, and some exceptional wiring with virtually no losses. THERE ARE NO AMOUNT OF CAPS that can do that.

which MBQ DCS amp do you have at 750 RMS? --> MB Quart Car Audio -- DISCUS Amplifers

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast