Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 97 jeep grand cherokee headunit transfer, radio works but nothing else?

aircruiser is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

97 jeep grand cherokee headunit transfer, radio works but nothing else?

hey guys i use to have a 99 cherokee but i had an old lady cut me off, instant reaction was to swerve, hit a snow bank and rolled the jeep. it wasnt that bad of a roll, it flopped onto the drivers side and went onto the roof. i now have a 97 grand cherokee, the 99 is going to be turned into an offroad only jeep and i dont need music when wheeling so the plan is to swap the headunit to the new jeep. now on grand cherokees the mounts are the same and im assuming the wiring is too but my grand is a limited so it has the infinity gold stereo with the factory amp so i read you have to connect the blue antenna power wire. i made a trip to best buy and the guy in the installation department said to try and hook up the tuner and see if that works. i plugged in the antenna and it works! but now when i switch to AUX or CD, it will say its working but no sound comes out of the speakers. i forgot what he said to do after that if it works but anyone have any ideas?

i was assuming the headunit is in good working order since it was an easy roll. it is a sony xplod so not the greatest but it was a gift from my parents and it gets the job done and i like it. im pretty sure the 2 12" dual subs i had in there were shot so i upgraded and got a 15" kicker. now just trying to get the music playing so i can wire everything else up. im gonna call best buy tomorrow and see what they say. just curious if any of you could give me some more ideas to try. before the headunit swap, everything worked perfectly. am/fm, cassette, cd.

TIA

-01limited- is offline Where are my 72 virgins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: 97 jeep grand cherokee headunit transfer, radio works but nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
    hey guys i use to have a 99 cherokee but i had an old lady cut me off, instant reaction was to swerve, hit a snow bank and rolled the jeep. it wasnt that bad of a roll, it flopped onto the drivers side and went onto the roof. i now have a 97 grand cherokee, the 99 is going to be turned into an offroad only jeep and i dont need music when wheeling so the plan is to swap the headunit to the new jeep. now on grand cherokees the mounts are the same and im assuming the wiring is too but my grand is a limited so it has the infinity gold stereo with the factory amp so i read you have to connect the blue antenna power wire. i made a trip to best buy and the guy in the installation department said to try and hook up the tuner and see if that works. i plugged in the antenna and it works! but now when i switch to AUX or CD, it will say its working but no sound comes out of the speakers. i forgot what he said to do after that if it works but anyone have any ideas?

i was assuming the headunit is in good working order since it was an easy roll. it is a sony xplod so not the greatest but it was a gift from my parents and it gets the job done and i like it. im pretty sure the 2 12" dual subs i had in there were shot so i upgraded and got a 15" kicker. now just trying to get the music playing so i can wire everything else up. im gonna call best buy tomorrow and see what they say. just curious if any of you could give me some more ideas to try. before the headunit swap, everything worked perfectly. am/fm, cassette, cd.

TIA
    So when its set to the radio it plays through the speakers, but when you go to play a cd no sound comes out? I just took my headunit out of my 97 grand cherokee and put it in my 2001 limited and the plugs were exactly the same and with a small home made bracket I got the mounting bracket to work. So going from the two shouldnt matter with the limited having the stock amp.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Mach 5 ixl 18.4
    7 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Hifonics Brutus 2k
    Knu Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Buick View Post
    Why?? You still haven't learned to eat my balls in the WTEMB section.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah it wont play on cd or aux mode..it worked perfect before the accident and it wasnt a hard roll so i was hoping i could re-use it. ive just heard alot of people having issues with wiring in an aftermarket HU with the stock amp. i will be keeping the amp for the speakers and using a seperate amp for the sub.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so ive done some calling around and researching and it sounds like i have to bypass my factory amp..sound correct? i dont need it, i did just fine without it in my xj

nateberrier is offline ******

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

no you dont need it just make sure to bypass though

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

http://www.execution-audio.com/

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any links to the proper way to do it?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, incase anyone was wondering, i did it without having to bypass the amp and got to keep the ampto power the speakers and the other amp for the sub. on the wiring for the HU, hook up the blue and white wire to the solid blue wire for the stereo. then just splice in the wire for the REI or whatever its called for the amp and youre golden! everything works!

ShiningBuick is offline NotLoudEnuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You beat me to it.

Music on ONLY radio source is a surefire sign of the power antenna wire (blue) from the radio being connected to the factory amp turn on, as opposed to the remote turn on wire (blue/white).

As a rule, I always connect the remote turn on wire from the deck (blue/white) to both the power ant (blue) and factory amp turn on (blue/white).

Glad you got it homie.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks man yeah ya learn something new every day!

Closed Thread