Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help Please! Battery/Way Around Upgrading My Alternator?

1EdgeKilla is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Help Please! Battery/Way Around Upgrading My Alternator?

So heres whats up, I drive a 2002 Chevy Cavalier with a stock alternator (80 amps I believe). When everything is said and done i'll be running two Alpine PDX amps...the M-12 and F-4 for a total of 1300 watts rms. From what I understand and know they are one of the more efficient digital amps out there. On top of that, I'll have all 0 gauge wiring including the Big 3.

Now, my issue is I don't really want to go through the hassle of upgrading to a H/O alternator if i don't have to or can get around it. My question is if its possible to run this system safely and efficiently off the stock alternator by just upgrading to a say a optima or kinetik battery?

a detailed explanation of advice would be greatly appreciated and will thank anyone who can help me out!

KylerRelyk is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help Please! Battery/Way Around Upgrading My Alternator?

The only real way to tell for sure IMO is hook it all up and if your lights dim then you know you have to bite the bullet and get a ho alt. Some shops can just upgrade your stock alt to become a ho alt too. Also you should buy a deep-cell batt and try to get a yellow or red cap. Makes sure all connections are clean too of course.

ColterDC is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1EdgeKilla View Post
    My question is if its possible to run this system safely and efficiently off the stock alternator by just upgrading to a say a optima or kinetik battery?
    All your car battery does is starts the car. When the car is running, it's all on your alternator. So changing your battery won't make a difference, unless you're talking about playing your stereo with the car off.

If I had to guess, I'd say that your 80 amp alt is not going to keep the headlights from dimming, but as the other guy said, there's one way to find out.

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
    Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
    2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
    Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
    Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

1EdgeKilla is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColterDC View Post
    All your car battery does is starts the car. When the car is running, it's all on your alternator. So changing your battery won't make a difference, unless you're talking about playing your stereo with the car off.

If I had to guess, I'd say that your 80 amp alt is not going to keep the headlights from dimming, but as the other guy said, there's one way to find out.
    well thats also something else to consider because i do use my car a lot for music purposes outside of when im driving such as the good old partys in the fields and in the middle of nowhere...and i dont exactly want to have my car running the whole time but i could see where your coming from with the whole have to try it out

ColterDC is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if you want to play your tunes with the car off, you'd better plan on doing alot more than just replacing your 1 battery.

More like plan on getting a whole bank of batteries and even then with the car off it will only last so long.

F-250 V10 Crew Cab with 6 inch lift
    Front and Rear Pioneer DVD screens. All stock speakers replaced with Kenwood speakers.
    2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 2 Eclipse amps.

Mustang GT V8
    Pioneer HU. Mach 460 stereo system. 2 MTX 15 inch subs. 1 MA Audio amp.

Mercury Sable
    Pioneer HU. 2 Kenwood 10 inch subs. 1 SPL amp.

Closed Thread