Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help with wires

alex_321 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need help with wires

I am currently hooking up 2 amps(1 power acoustic 4 channel amp,1000 watt max, wanting to push 400 watts total, also a kenwood kac-7203 1000 watt, but im only gonna push at 500 watts). im only looking to push 900-1000 watts total. my question is what gauge wires am i going to need and would getting the wires from say a hardware store get me the same results. Also what size fuse would i need for the power wire. also if anyone has a site that shows how to wire the 2 amps to one head unit please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help with wires

You will want to run 1/0 or 2 gauge from the battery to the distrobution block, then you can run 4 gauge to each amp, 8 gauge would work if its fairly short.

No, wire from a hardware store is extremely stiff and low strand count. It wont flex easily and will make putting it out of harms way very difficult. Youd be better off with ordering bulk welding wire or car audio power wire.

Fusing, I would use a 80-100a fuse near the battery and then at the distrobution block if there is only one fuse use the same as the one near the battery. If there are multiple fuses I would run a 30-50a fuse for each amplifier.

For wiring up two amps to one head unit you have 3 options.
    1)Best - buy and install a remote relay. This will prove to be the best option.
    2)Good - Run one remote off your first amp to the second or run a splitter from the main remote before either amp. While this works, sometimes it can cause a short and mess up your head unit, possibly your amp...but rarely as most head units generally have enough power to turn on 2 amplifiers.

Closed Thread