Reload Thread: Amp specific question (3 amps in 1?) Kicker KX700.5

wakeboarder3780 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Amp specific question (3 amps in 1?) Kicker KX700.5

Amp Manual for reference:
    http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/...00_5Manual.pdf

Hey, I'm a novice at hooking up systems, I know my way around, but do have a specific question regarding an amp I just encountered (this amp is a little crazy). My understanding is that it powers a sub (1 channel), and additionally has 2 other different configurable amps to run 4 total channels (2 each). That's 3 total amps for a whopping total of 5 channels. So basically there is an internal amp for the sub, an internal amp for 2 channels of the 4 speaker chanels available and another amp for the other 2 speaker channels.

In a rudimentary sense, its 3 amps duct taped together.

My specific question revolves around if I can really use this amp to equally power 6 speakers each at 4 ohm impedance (this is a boat system). The answer to this question specifically revolves around whether or not there literally are "2 separate amps" inside.

In the manual I can only find the following information regarding power at different ohm loads:

Code:
    RMS Power
    In Watts, All Channels Driven
    @ 13.8V, 4Ω Stereo, 0.085% THD          40 x 4
    @ 13.8V, 2Ω Stereo, 0.2% THD             75 x 4
    @ 13.8V, 4Ω Mono, 0.4% THD               150 x 2

SUB Power
    In Watts, All Channels Driven
    @ 13.8V, 2Ω Mono, 1.5% THD               400 x 1
    You'll find however that there are ways to set gain for each individual logical amp (within this one physical amp).

My hypothesis was that I could create the following configuration:
    Given:
    We have speakers lets call them 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 all with a 4 ohm load.
    We have 2 logical amps to power these 6 speakers.

Proposed Solution:
    Amp1:
    ChannelA:Speaker 1 and 2 wired in parallel (2 ohm load)
    ChannelB:Speaker 3 and 4 wired in parallel (2 ohm load)

Amp2:
    ChannelA:Speaker 5 - regular (4 ohm load)
    ChannelB:Speaker 6 - regular (4 ohm load)

If the two logical amps inside this one physical amp can handle being wired at different ohms, this would power all speakers equally (or at least within 2.5 watts RMS). The manual says nothing about if this is supported however so I'm nervous to try it.

Can anyone provide any insight? Has anyone worked with this amp before? I'm almost considering calling up kicker and asking them about it but it's the weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FenixAudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Amp specific question (3 amps in 1?) Kicker KX700.5

Your over thinking it. Its one amp that is set up to run 5 channels. Subs are crosseded over using thee same idea of a LOC. This amp is common. Used in most cases the person doenst want the expence of additional wiring and isn't looking for any major sound levels. Last one I installd went into a 97 f250 it ran pioneer components and coaxials 4 totall and a pair of kicker cvt shallow subs at 2ohms. Sound was tight and clear but wouldn't kill your ears. I like the amp quite a bit for everyday installing not for comps of big bass.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe I shouldn't have called myself a novice. Not sure what LOC stands for and google wasn't a big help.

However I'm assuming if the electrical components within the amp aren't separated, that I wouldn't be able to do the configuration I proposed? Does anyone understand how I planned on hooking up the 6 speakers and does anyone know whether or not it would work?

If it wouldn't work does anyone have a suggestion on how it *could* work? (without adding two more of the same speakers )

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just talked to a buddy of mine and cleared some things up. I never realized you could take any old 4 channel amp and have different impedance levels going to each channel. Guess this one's resolved.

I would agree with this amps performance as listed by FenixAudio. The amp puts out some good clean power, not anything to rattle the trunk off with, but it certainly has some good clean power for some respectable bass.

Closed Thread