Closed Thread

Reload Thread: One more noob question for the car audio experts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon8 One more noob question for the car audio experts.

Im in the market for a new alternator. i have a 2004 mercury grand marquis. Im in need of a high output alternator. Ive already tried autozone etc... they only carry 200 amp alt. and i also tried mechman they only offer an 250 amp alt. heres my setup

<4 alpine type x 12s (4ohm)powered by 2 hifonics bxi 2610d amps (2600wts@1ohm)

<2 alpine 6x9s <2 alpine 5x7s (all 100 watt rms) powered by 1 hifonics zxi8408 (440wt@4ohm)

I have my stock starter battery and 2 kinetik hc2400's in the trunk.

My problem is i dont know what size alternator i need. i know a 300 amp alt would be best but would my system be fine with just a 200 or 250 amp alt. and also where can i find one of these online!!!!!!! somebody please help me links to websites would be very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: One more noob question for the car audio experts.

So many people go out and buy 300, 350, 400, and high amp alts and then call in talking about how their voltage is dropping at idle. For a daily driver vehicle running one alt you do not need to go with a 300+amp alternator. I will not even sell a 300amp alt to a daily driver vehicle. When you get into that high of an amperage alternator you are going to lose out at idle.

We cant post pics of our alts on the site, because other companies will come in and steal bracket designs. That is why most are not put up on sites for everyone to see or generic pictures are posted up.

I would go with a 250amp alt that does good at idle. With the batteries you have your voltage SHOULDN'T be dropping that much. You figure the kinetic 2400 is about the same physical size as our D3100 and our D3100s are good for 5000+ watts each.
    Last edited by Nathan@XS Power; 08-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.

osl
    osl is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: One more noob question for the car audio experts.

For what you've got, a 200 should be fine.

Davidfre21

Closed Thread