Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Reload Thread: Why is my voltage drop so awful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Why is my voltage drop so awful?

Quote Originally Posted by Still View Post
    Honestly, I didn't know the first thing about soldering, I just started doing it on all my lugs one day. I didn't know what a cold solder joint was or what causes it until you mentioned it in this thread. After having learned a thing or two I'm sure that my technique has improved, and I should resolder these terminals.

Can old solder or lugs that have been reused multiple times cause this?
    Solder becomes more brittle every time it is heated and cooled. The answer is yes. It certainly could be the problem. I would have to suggest that you test with just crimped lugs first. I'd be willing to bet that your problem goes away. Then if you want soldered wires do it with all new lugs and new solder. ALSO: This part is extremely important and why most people stay away from soldering. You have to heat the joint before you put the solder in there. I don't mean press the solder on and once it melts you're good. I mean heat the wire and the lug for 20-30 seconds with your torch before you ever touch solder to it. Continue heating while you apply the solder. The reason is, for the solder to flow evenly through the wire and bond to the terminal, they both need to be at or above the solder's melting point. If they aren't (like they are not when you just start forcing solder in as soon as it's melting) you will get a cold solder joint every time. Also if you move the wire/lug before the solder is hard it will be a cold joint every time. It doesn't help that us guys like to "test the joint's strength" as soon as its cool enough to touch. It's just not smart.

hatedonmostly is offline throwin' hunnits, hunnits

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    Solder becomes more brittle every time it is heated and cooled. The answer is yes. It certainly could be the problem. I would have to suggest that you test with just crimped lugs first. I'd be willing to bet that your problem goes away. Then if you want soldered wires do it with all new lugs and new solder.
    I'm not using the same solder over and over again, but I have an ancient old roll of solder that I have been using, lol.

I don't have any way to crimp these wires, or else I would...but there's a welding supply place across the street and I could get new solder if I have to.

Toone is offline NewCarAudio.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm not using the same solder over and over again, but I have an ancient old roll of solder that I have been using, lol.

I don't have any way to crimp these wires, or else I would...but there's a welding supply place across the street and I could get new solder if I have to.
    Bro lets just go halfsies on some fancy crimpers

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dune like crimping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ah ok. If worse comes to worse just hammer the **** out of it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah ok. If worse comes to worse just hammer the **** out of it.
    Will do if it comes down to it.

jco1385 is offline expert jcologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

i aint gonna lie, idk **** about soldering. all mine are crimped or have set screw lugs. if you have nothing esle, smash them flat with a hammer

1994 Thunderbird
    JVC KD-AV7010
    Alpine 6x9 3-ways
    Pioneer 6x8 3-ways (rear)
    JVC CH-X1500 12-disc MP3 Changer
    Alpine Type X 12" 2 cubes @ 30hz
    MTX 404 runs the inside
    MTX 1501d runs the X
    Optima G75/25 RT up front
    2x Optima G31 YT in the trunk
    200a EA HO Alt (1/0 Big 3)
    ALL MY WIRE IS WELDING CABLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    I always knew I was a feggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashaddd View Post
    We're all feggots on the inside
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoTom View Post
    I am sure the administration will be having a few words with you when they catch wind of your language.
    DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING USING UPS. I WILL NOT DEAL WITH THEM EVER AGAIN
    OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Solder becomes more brittle every time it is heated and cooled. The answer is yes. It certainly could be the problem. I would have to suggest that you test with just crimped lugs first. I'd be willing to bet that your problem goes away. Then if you want soldered wires do it with all new lugs and new solder. ALSO: This part is extremely important and why most people stay away from soldering. You have to heat the joint before you put the solder in there. I don't mean press the solder on and once it melts you're good. I mean heat the wire and the lug for 20-30 seconds with your torch before you ever touch solder to it. Continue heating while you apply the solder. The reason is, for the solder to flow evenly through the wire and bond to the terminal, they both need to be at or above the solder's melting point. If they aren't (like they are not when you just start forcing solder in as soon as it's melting) you will get a cold solder joint every time. Also if you move the wire/lug before the solder is hard it will be a cold joint every time. It doesn't help that us guys like to "test the joint's strength" as soon as its cool enough to touch. It's just not smart.
    Wow, really? I wasn't aware. I would always heat up the lug, then melt the solder into it, then put the wire into the lug with solder in it...

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsUY7yVlbfI

Slo_Ride is offline Midnight Rider

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Anyway I can get cliffs to this? I read all that crap and I'm as lost as he OP. If prob is between the rear batt and amp then thats your answer. If you have any spare wire take your amp and hook it up as close as possible without the distro or soldering and see if you still have the prob. It seems that the wire/connection is the culprit.

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dpc69ss View Post
    Anyway I can get cliffs to this? I read all that crap and I'm as lost as he OP. If prob is between the rear batt and amp then thats your answer. If you have any spare wire take your amp and hook it up as close as possible without the distro or soldering and see if you still have the prob. It seems that the wire/connection is the culprit.
    thats the cliffs, pretty much.

1994 Thunderbird
    JVC KD-AV7010
    Alpine 6x9 3-ways
    MTX 404 runs the inside
    MTX 1501d runs the X
    I am sure the administration will be having a few words with you when they catch wind of your language.
    OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD

Slo_Ride is offline Midnight Rider

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
    thats the cliffs, pretty much.
    I'm just trying to help

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dpc69ss View Post
    I'm just trying to help
    word. i think we've ruled out everything else possible. it's come down to the solder joints at the terminals.

1994 Thunderbird
    JVC KD-AV7010
    Alpine 6x9 3-ways
    MTX 404 runs the inside
    MTX 1501d runs the X
    OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wow, really? I wasn't aware. I would always heat up the lug, then melt the solder into it, then put the wire into the lug with solder in it...

Like this: YouTube - 8AWG Terminal Soldering
    Ok that guy is not telling you the correct way to do it. He tells you to stick them in the freezer or run water over them too. You can't do that with solder. You must let it cool in stagnant air or you'll get cold solder joints. It's not that tough it just takes time. Heat the entire joint meaning the wire and the lug. Once it's been heated for 20-30 seconds start applying your solder. Let it sit for 5 minutes and you're good to go. Doing anything else will **** you off to no end like it is right now. The wire has to be at the solder's melting point or the solder will not bond to it. If you don't believe me do a little experiment. Melt some solder in a metal lid of some sort. Dip the solder in and quickly remove it. Then wipe the solder off Now heat the wire up really hot and put it in some melted solder. Watch it flow through the wire. Now try to pull the solder off. You can't do it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok that guy is not telling you the correct way to do it. He tells you to stick them in the freezer or run water over them too. You can't do that with solder. You must let it cool in stagnant air or you'll get cold solder joints. It's not that tough it just takes time. Heat the entire joint meaning the wire and the lug. Once it's been heated for 20-30 seconds start applying your solder. Let it sit for 5 minutes and you're good to go. Doing anything else will **** you off to no end like it is right now. The wire has to be at the solder's melting point or the solder will not bond to it. If you don't believe me do a little experiment. Melt some solder in a metal lid of some sort. Dip the solder in and quickly remove it. Then wipe the solder off Now heat the wire up really hot and put it in some melted solder. Watch it flow through the wire. Now try to pull the solder off. You can't do it.
    Last question: how can I heat the lug as well as the wire at the same time to get it hot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Last question: how can I heat the lug as well as the wire at the same time to get it hot?
    You aim the torch at the wire inside the lug. It has no choice but to get them both then.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast