Reload Thread: Im looking for a Farad Capacitor any suggestions

SPL Blazer is offline SPL Event Promoter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Im looking for a Farad Capacitor any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    Buy a decent battery instead. Doesn't matter if the car is yours or not...
    X2

If your running a power wire to the amp then what difference does it make if you put a battery back there too? Your already going to have to drill a hole for the power wire, might as well add the small battery in the back while your at it. Just run your amp off the rear battery.

Walled Astro, 4 DC Audio 18" XL's _____________________www.NewEnglandSPL.com
    1 Hifonics Sampson - 157.7 so far

Bought from: CRXBMPN, SPLTucson, f150john, LoudMOFO Sold To: Chris Team ACT, Big Rea$e

rookanga is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok, the alternator is a stock trail blazer alternator, and when the volume is not even on half way on, it drains the battery down to 11 volts I think (sorry im not at the truck right now but the needle goes half way between the middle and no power, if that helps), but my main concern is if I put a battery in the back can a stock alternator keep it charged or will I need to take it out once in a while to recharge the battery, or is there a charger that I could keep it hooked up to the back battery that will help it out (like a alternator, but mobile one)

and I don’t know if anyone has heard of this but I heard of a battery that recharges itself, I don’t know if that true but its suppose to be a small but very heavy battery, that somehow recharges itself), it don’t know if it is true or not

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your stock alt should be fine for your system, and will also work just fine if you add an extra battery. Adding an extra battery would be the same thing as just swapping your main battery for a really big one, in theory. I have a 01 Blazer and I'm pretty sure your alt s either the same or a little bigger than mine. I was running an Optima and a Kinetik HC2400 off my Stock alt for a long time and never had issues. I made sure the Big 3 was done before adding the 2nd battery.

And I've never heard of a battery that can recharge itself, I'm no electrical engineer but I don't think thats possible.

Bought from: CRXBMPN, SPLTucson, f150john, LoudMOFO Sold To: Chris Team ACT, Big Rea$e

AlterEgo99 is offline Streaming consciousness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie Izzard: Squirrels always eat nuts with two hands, always two hands, "arararar", and occasionally, they stop and go...oh, uh, ah, as if they're going, "Did I leave the gas on? No! No, I'm a fucking squirrel!"

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Energy(Joules) = Power(Watts) x Time(Seconds). The energy in a 1Farad capacitor = 0.5CV.V = 0.5x1x12x12= 72 Joules

The energy stored in a 1 farrad capacitor would power your amp at about 50 watts for under a second. An electrolytic capacitor IS NOT a battery.
    For the sake of accuracy.
    The cap should charge to 14-14.4v. Just say 14.4

1/2(14.4 x 14.4) = About 104J

The big BUT...
    You have a battery there that won't let the system voltage drop below 12 or so, so any energy in the cap below 12v will never be used.
    1/2(12x12) = 72J

104-72= 32J (watt-seconds)

At 500w the cap is useful for 6.5 hundredths of a sec at a time, and that's assuming it is a perfect storage device (no ESR), which it isn't.

gyzo33 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a question. Will a capacitor help in any way if I have a deep cycle battery? Reason I'm asking this is because I'm in the process of installing my first system myself, and I have a capacitor left from my last car and I want to know if I should install it or not. Around 1400 watts rms, stock battery, stock alternator. I will be upgrading the battery and alternator by the end of this year.

Edit: The capacitor doesn't sell for what used to, so it's not worthwhile trying to sell it. It's an eight year old digital lightning audio 1.0 cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't waste the time, just sell the cap or throw it out.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2