Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

general bridging subs question

this a general question not pertaining to certain subs or amps. what is the differernce,using a 2 ch amp and 2 subs, between wiring each to its own channel or briding the amp and sending that one signal to the two subs ( for example wiring the two subs together in one parallel load). thanks

bobo244 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: general bridging subs question

anyone??.....

DrSatan is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think i understand your question, when you wire to subs together (parallel) then your total Ohm load drops. If you have two 4ohm subs them your ohm load would drop to a 2ohm load. Does that kinda answer your question?

Kenwood KVT-911DVD
    KHD-CX910 (Music Keg) with a 40 gig hard drive
    2 - Boston Acoustic Pro 6.53
    4 - Boston Pro 12's
    Audio Control 3xs
    Rockford Fosgate 1050S (For Mids)
    Rockford Fosgate 1500BD (For Subs)
    Rockford Fosgate 750X (Coming Soon)
    All Jammed Into A 2003 Trailblazer

yz_gt69 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i think he mite be talkin about an 8 ohm series
    dr satan:
    if you wire from the amp's - to the sub1's - and then from there to sub2's -
    take a seperate wire from sub2's + to sub1's + then back to the amps+.
    thats a 2ohm parallel
    an 8 ohm series is goin from amps - to sub1's - , from sub1's + to sub2's -, sub2's + back to amp posituve
    hope that answers your ?
    sorry dont have any diagrams

EzekialPhoenix is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think he's asking if you run two subs to a two channel amp at 2 ohms, and it puts out saying 250 x 2 @ 2 ohms and, rather than wiring the sub up mono (bridged) at 8 ohms. Actually for the question, it doesn't really matter what the ohms or power is, now that I think about it. Basically, the difference is stereo vs. mono. Bridged mode is mono, as in one channel. If you bridge your sub or speakers, you are running them mono, which means you are combining the two channels into one channel. This makes it so you cannot balance your speakers/subs left and right. If you run an amp in stereo, that means your are running two separate channels (in the example of a two channel amp). This allows you better control over your subs/speakers. People run mono amps for subs or bridge subs because it allows for more power and most of the time, nobody cares about balancing subs. There is also an issue of distortion levels rising when you bridge or drop the ohm level down. I'm not sure which brings more distortion, running an amp at 2 ohms or bridging it at 8 ohms or 4 ohms, but I know it becomes a factor. This is another reason why low impedence and bridging are typically characterized with subs. Distortion levels are not as noticeable in subwoofers as with other speakers.

Hopefully this is the type of answer you are looking for. I must give the disclaimer that the information I have provided is what I have learned to be true through my study if car audio, but I might have some of the facts wrong. Hopefully, if this is the case, somebody will correct me, but this should be a good start to answering your question and maybe get a discussion started.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you kinda got what i was asking. its a difficult question. lets say you have 2 2 ohmdvc subs and a powerful 2 ch amp. whats the difference between the following two setups:

wiring both subs in paralel for a total of a 1 ohm load on each sub and powering each sub with its own channel on the the amp. lets say the amp can put out 500 watts at 1 ohm per channel. (2 X 500 @ 1ohm)

or....

wiring both subs in paralell for a total of 1 ohm load on each sub. then running the two subs in series for a total of 2 ohms into one channel and briding the amp to this one channel. ( http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...hmDVC_2ohm.gif ). and running the amp mono at one channel. lets say the amp does 1000 x 1 @2ohm ( just for demo purposes so that the amps would get the same watts in setup 1 and 2.)

or.....

wiring both subs in paralell for a total of 1 ohm load on each sub. then running these two subs in paralel so a total of .5 ohm load. this is pretty much the same as the setup with above. the only thing is that you can put wore power into the subs because of the lower ohm level. lower ohm level = more THD

hopefully you all understand now what im asking. basically to sum it up: what is the difference bewteen two subs getting the own 500 watt channel or sharing a 1000 watt mono signal and briding the amp? thanks alot.. i know its confusing.

EzekialPhoenix is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think there is any difference between 500 x 2 or 1000 x 1 in terms of sheer power, but that never becomes an issue because no one amp puts out those types of power ratings. There are VERY few amps that can run at 1 ohm stereo (two channels). I believe some of the older Orion amps might have been able to and I don't know, maybe a mmats amp or something like that. But if you take your situation as hypothetical, meaning forget whether amps could actually perform the way you are specifiying above, I don't think there is much difference outside of the ability to balance the subs left and right, and distortion levels, which are probably inaudible anyway. The problem with arguing this from a hypothetical standpoint is that like I said earlier, very few amps, if any could even perform this way I don't think you could ever find an amp that would do 1000 x 1 bridged AND 500 x 2 @ 1 ohm stereo. I am not an electrical engineer, so I don't pretend to know why this can't be done, but I'm sure there is a good reason. I hope this answers your question. Either way, I am enjoying this discussion.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i understand what your saying here is a real life situation my amp ma audio ma5082hx specs:

Stereo
    2 x 400W Rms @ 4 Ohm
    2 x 700W Rms @ 2 Ohm
    2 x 1200W Rms @ 1 Ohm
    2 x 2000W Rms @.5 Ohm

Mono
    1 x 1400W Rms @ 4 Ohm
    1 x 2400W Rms @ 2 Ohm
    1 x 4000W Rms @ 1 Ohm

in two 2ohm dvc subs each sub is run at 1 ohm. in series toegeth the two subs have a 2 ohm load. with this sub what is the difference between briding the amp at two ohm putting 2400w to the subs to share. or running each sub at 1200 watts each at 1 ohm? what would produce better sound quality? which will produce better spl?

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

I personally prefer mono if it's an option just because it eliminates the possibility of the seperate channels producing a slightly different signal to each sub and affecting the sub's performance a little.
    The chances are slim, and it might not be anything that could be heard anyway, but oh well - the option is there so why not do it?

That's about the only difference I know of.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

aight thanks alot. anyone else?

Closed Thread