Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Subs making random thumps when HU is on.

yarn is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Subs making random thumps when HU is on.

Setup:
    • Pyramid amp,
    • 2 Alpine subs
    • Cheapest alpine deck I could find.

After driving for a few minutes, the thump starts to happen. Also when it happens, I can hear a high pitch spinning when I rev tthe engine. They both happen simultaneously. But at very random times. It'll thump for 10 - 60 seconds, then stop for a few minutes.

I've never experiened this until I moved the ground for the amp. I moved it back to the original spot (when there were no problems.) but the thumping/engine humming persisted, so I sanded down the metal grounding the amp. (That didn't really solve much, it alleviated the problem though. Which doesn't make sense to me, because it was fine when I first installed it. It worked fine up until I decided to play with the ground)

The thumping/engine humming stops when I shut off the HU.

If it's worth mentioning, when I moved the amp ground, it apparently wasn't good enough (and caused the amp to heat up pretty quick. I started hearing thumping noises 5 minutes into driving, as soon as I heard it, I pulled over and swapped the ground to where it original was. Also... when I was messing with the wires, I had one sub in (+)(-) and the other in (-)(+) which canceled each other out. I didn't realize this until 20 minutes into driving.

Did I mess up bad? Do I need to ground the head unit? Do I need a new amp?
    Last edited by yarn; 04-05-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Chris Z is offline Always wanting more bass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Subs making random thumps when HU is on.

Hmm. I don't think you screwed any of your electronics up. Try grounding your hu though, that might be it. Other than that though, I think you might just need to get a higher quality amp.

-------My Equip-------
    JVC KD-HDR50
    (2) JVC CSHX647X 6.5-Inch 4-Way Coaxial Speakers, (2) Pioneer TS-G1642R 6.5" 180 watt peak 2-way speakers powered by Crunch P900.4
    Audioque SDC2.5 10" sub in a ported box - 1.6 cu ft powered by an Alpine MRP-M500
    Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge wire to Konfused distro block, 8 gauge kolossus flex to both amps, 1 RF set of RCAs, 1 Knu set of RCAs
    ----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by vic713 View Post
    Wowzers ! I've been running all 6 of my batts under the hood this whole time !! * Puts engine back in and batts in the back *

3. Thanks yarn thanked for this post
    yarn is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Chris Z,
    I'll try grounding the HU tmr, when stores open, so I can buy wires.

Okay, I've done a few trial runs. I get thumping/engine noise when the RCA's is connected.
    The thumping/engine noise stops when the RCA's aren't connected. What does this mean?

Btw. This doesn't make sense, why did the thumping/engine noises only start after I played with the amp ground?

Any other solutions? I'll ground the HU when I can get wires for it. Perhaps my gain is set too high?

Chris Z is offline Always wanting more bass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, try turning your gain(s) down and see if that decreases the intensity of the thumping sound. If it's still the same, I would definitely try grounding the whole hu and/or the RCAs on the HU.

-------My Equip-------
    JVC KD-HDR50
    (2) JVC CSHX647X 6.5-Inch 4-Way Coaxial Speakers, (2) Pioneer TS-G1642R 6.5" 180 watt peak 2-way speakers powered by Crunch P900.4
    Audioque SDC2.5 10" sub in a ported box - 1.6 cu ft powered by an Alpine MRP-M500
    Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge wire to Konfused distro block, 8 gauge kolossus flex to both amps, 1 RF set of RCAs, 1 Knu set of RCAs
    ----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by vic713 View Post
    Wowzers ! I've been running all 6 of my batts under the hood this whole time !! * Puts engine back in and batts in the back *

Closed Thread

User Tag List