Closed Thread

Reload Thread: how to install backup camera

traksta15 is offline I love lamp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how to install backup camera

I just ordered a backup camera for my kenwood ddx712, and I have one question.

With the given connections on the camera seen here:

what do i do to the black one? Do I just splice it and connect it to the reverse wire on the back of my head unit? Or is there a cable I need to buy?

Kenwood ddx712
    boston acoustics z6
    arc audio 300.4
    40 sq ft damplifier

csu87 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: how to install backup camera

it should give you a plug to go into the black one but if not. cut off the tip and run the + to + on battery and - to negative on battery

Current - BMW 335xi SQ Build w/ IA and Sundown
    Retired - GMC Jimmy SUBS: 2 12" Aqs SUB AMP: 1 AQ 3500.1 Loudest TL 155.1
    Feedback: MakeshiftAudio, woofercooker, vitveet, jonesy, 2000gator, KickerRex, mathewo, Matt2105, sicaudio, kshutte, coma-toast, RAB, matt2105, jusbloud and more that i cant remember.

RJesus is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by traksta15 View Post
    I just ordered a backup camera for my kenwood ddx712, and I have one question.

With the given connections on the camera seen here:

what do i do to the black one? Do I just splice it and connect it to the reverse wire on the back of my head unit? Or is there a cable I need to buy?
    If I had to guess, I would say you need to buy an adapter. Usually when theres a plug with a pin inside it like that, there is a ground and power wire. The power wire is probably enclosed inside the ground wire. Unless you have some incredibly fine wire stripping skills, I'd search for an adapter and try calling the camera manufacturer.

sold to: fatboyracing, Plottin4success, MrSplorDie
    bought from:RumbleNTheTrunk, lmllopez, SWFL, mobeious, woofercooker, kroid777, bubbagumper6, uglydimple12, dacheatham, canyouhearmatt
    traded with: funandgames, Jh8909, lincolntc690 OWES ME AN IPOD ADAPTER, MikeyF

Feedback thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443430

traksta15 is offline I love lamp.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there isn't a negative (as far as I can tell at least), just the yellow (video) and black (black in the pic, mines red).

Kenwood ddx712
    boston acoustics z6
    arc audio 300.4
    40 sq ft damplifier

Wolfman304 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

Altogether, there will be 5 connections required to use your reverse cam, as follows.....

Reverse Camera Unit:

1) 1 x Yellow AV (RCA) lead - this provides the video feed and joins to another 5m RCA extension lead (which you'll need to run internally through the vehicle floor pan, or similar, to reach your head unit in the dash), which then plugs directly into the back of your screen/head unit (Reverse Cam RCA input).

2 & 3) 1 x Black DC power connector (inside pin is +; internal socket is -)....this connection supplies power to your camera and should be joined by use of the appropriate size power adaptor "bullet" plug (much like the bullet plug found on a laptop mains/power adaptor), with both a positive (red +) wire & negative (black -) wire on the other end.

Depending on the polarity of your DC power connection, one wire connects to constant power (ie battery power feed), the other wire is tapped into your reverse "tail light" wiring (so the cam operates only when the reverse circuit is engaged).

Note: the above cables/connectors are always supplied with the unit, when brand new.

Head Unit/Screen:

4) As stated above, Yellow RCA from cam (and 5m extension lead) should connect to the Reverse Cam Input (RCA) on the head unit.

5) Lastly, the wiring loom on back of the head unit will have a single power wire (possibly labelled 'Reverse in' or 'Reverse power'). This wire will also need to be connected to the reverse circuit, to enable the screen to switch to "CAM mode" (you can feed it back to a reverse light, or locate another reverse circuit power wire nearby).

Good luck....

Closed Thread