Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Alpine CD Changer Cable

boister77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine CD Changer Cable

i was wondering if anyone knows the wiring diagram of an alpine m-bus cd changer cable. i currently have an alpine cdm-7861 with an ipod connected to it. sadly, this hu does not have an aux input and the optional aux input adapter for m-bus connections does not work with my model. so i currently use a fm modulator which doesn't provide the greatest sound. i wish to improve the sound quality but since it don't have an aux input there's no other choice. however, i was wondering if it's possible fool the hu and tap into the cd change cable and send an audio signal from the ipod instead of an audio signal from the cd changer. however, i don't know the wiring code of the cd? also, i'm not even sure if this method is possible. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

jpcwolf is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine CD Changer Cable

See below.

Found at www.alpine1.com goto TechCenter

If using IE then use this link: http://www.stylestandard.net/oswego/Login/AlpineLogin

as the link to TechCentre fails when using IE but works when using Netscape.

Alpine Tech Center>Product Technical Information>Product Feature & Specification Sheets>ChangersCD/DVD Changers>CHM-S601.

It is the same pin out for the CHMS-sS620 as both are M-Bus Changers.

Pin
    1) M-Bus (Data Bus)
    2) Signal Ground (Audio Ground)
    3) Data Ground
    4) Right Signal
    5) Left Signal
    6) Battery (Constant 12V)
    7) Ignition (Switched 12V)
    8) Power Ground

Regards,
    jpcwolf

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks jpcwolf! now do you think it's possible to bypass the audio feed from the changer (pins 2,4, and 5) and instead connect an audio output source from an ipod? thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If my memory is any good when you press the Source button to select CD Changer and you do NOT have a CD Changer connected then it scrolls thru AM/FM/CD but not CD Changer. Therefore even if you hook up the Audio via the M-Bus Cable there is no way to tell the Head Unit to switch to that source for the audio input. I do not know of any simple way to "fake" out the Head Unit as it needs to see the data bus of an Alpine Changer before it will allow you select CD Changer as the Source on the Head Unit.

The only way I know to fix your dellima is to upgrade your Head Unit. I know that some of the Alpine have Aux Inuput.

Hope this helps.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i forgot to mention that i am going to leave my cd changer connected. my idea is that if a select a cd to play in a changer, the head unit will believe it's playing a cd. however, instead of receiving an audio signal from the cd changer, i will bypass it with an audio signal from the ipod. do you think this is possible? by the way, i would get a new head unit with an aux input but i would rather save the money and go with this method if it will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suspect it will work. I am not familier with the iPod. You may also need a switch box to select between the 2 sources (Changer vs iPod) otherwise both audio signals sent to the Head Unit at the same time. You would probably only need to switch the postive L&R signals, you could probably leave the Audio Grounds or negitives tied together. I am not aware of switch box available retail you may have to build one yourself.

I also came across this article when I did a search on iPod.

Alpine Offers iPod Ready Kit (it is not available yet)
    http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=631

Maybe there is some ideas on the ipod site that could help you out?

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread