Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: A few short, and one long question =) (n00b)

exile is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few short, and one long question =) (n00b)

I asked for a pair of subs for my Jeep for xmas and I got two 10's (bazooka, bleh) anyway..

I didn't really have much time to research everything I needed to know, I mastered the installation, took me all day to figure it all out and do all of the labor but eventually the speakers worked on the first try.

My first question is: On the back of my amp, I have 3 knobs, a Hz knob, an "x-over" knob and a "dbs (bass boost)" knob. When I first turned them on it didn't make much sound at all so I started messing with the x-over and it really started to sound like a subwoofer heh. Where should these knobs be approximately so my system sounds like it's suppose to.

Other questions, My sub sounds decent when I turn up the volume, but my front and rear speakers are about to blow whenever I get it to sound about right. I have a Pioneer headunit with a bunch of weird options, if anyone knows how to seperate the subwoofer from front and rear speakers with a pioneer please throw me a few hints.

Oh yeah, and if there are any threads pointing to these questions please don't flame, just link me, I took a look and wasn't successful. There might be a forum post for this but uhm.. one last question: Which position should the subs be facing? pointing straight up? or on their side in the enclosure?

davidfre21 is offline Is just a lil racist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: A few short, and one long question =) (n00b)

distorting speaker probly need to be upgraded, unless u have already done so

which pioneer model do u have?

IA FTW!!!
    Team Sundown... what?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DEH-P7500MP

I'm about to head out there I really need some quick answers =\

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the hz knob is either the center frequncy for the bass boost, or the cross over frequency. But you should have bass boost off so that shouldn't make a difference. x-over is the frequency where it cuts out all sound above it, you wantit around 80. You can also use your HU for it, hit audio a few timse until the sub pops up, the hit up and it should turn to on. (You used rcas and the sub out preouts right?) you then hit audio again, and you can adjust how loud it is and whatnot, good luck.
    -Jason

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That helps alot, what should I set my HU's Hz setting to? and, will that stop my front and rear speakers from going insane?

...oh and should 2 300w 4ohm 10''s be audiable from the outside of the jeep? cuz so far I can't hear/feel them at all.

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hit audio and go to HPF, and just put it at the lowest your speakers can handle, 50 would be ideal, but chances are they can't do that, so set it to 80, if you go highger than that you will need to raise the subs crossover as well. The sub doesnt matter, its the power that you are sending it that will cause it to be loud. If its a wrangler they should be audible from outside the car, but if you are sending them a few watts a peice it won't.
    -Jason

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a cherokee, my front/rear speakers give enough bass to satisfiy me, I aimed to satisfy the people outside of my jeep. lol. I will mess with it, I assume x-over is the cross over knob. duh.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Sending them a few watts a peice won't do it"

Is there a way to send them more watts? I don't know what bridging really is, I know that i makes it a series circuit but that's about it =) so, what would that do?

Alright man I just took a run out there and looked at it. I tweaked around a bit and turned of SPEF, made it sound better. I don't think I've ever heard good subs from the inside of a car so I have no clue what they should sound like, I just have heard them from outside. anyway, whenever I set the ****ing HPF it keeps turning off whenever I exit the menu and come back, I still don't understand quite what to put everything at. As I tweak I get a result that sounds good, I look at my rear speakers and they are about to freaking blow. I don't understand how to get my front/rear to stay stable without exploding and getting the sub to sound good. I did everything you said. HELP!!

Oh also, no one answered: "what direction should the subs be facing to get the best sound, i've seen them facing all different ways"
    Last edited by exile; 12-27-2003 at 02:58 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

still need help

Diplexers is offline Logarithmic Robot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First, what kind and model amp are you running? Second, on the amp set the x-over to about 40 hz, this is a safe setting till you know more about tuning your stuff. Next put all your settings on your deck at zero, not +5 on the bass etc, this will help your highs from getting all that "bass" and they will play cleaner. Now turn the gain on the amps power all the way off. Go ahead and turn your radio up as loud as it will go without distortion (as long as its not to late for the neighbors) and slowly turn the gain on the amp up till just before distortion starts to occur. The bass boost is like a loud button, but don't crank it up cause if you have a beefy amp you could roast some subs; again a safe setting would be around 3 db of gain. Remember, you don't want to give your door or rear speakers a lot of bass, they are there for mid to high range now that you have subs. Let us know which amp so we can help you tune better :thumbsup

Eclipse CD5000
    PPI... DEQ-230
    PPI... PC450 4 channel
    Eclipse 3640 4 channel
    FI 12"BTL
    Eclipse DA7232 (2000 watts RMS)<------
    Kicker ND 25 Tweets
    Kicker RS6 6.5" comps
    Kicker R5c 5.25" midrange

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The amp is an EL series "Bazooka" amp. I remember reading 300 watt somewhere but it's not the 300 watt mono I don't think. The reason I am so retarded about the amp/subs is because I had a bunch of money to spend on subs before xmas, so I put the subs on my list of **** to get for xmas and then spent all of my cash. I asked for a visionik set of 2 12''s w/ enclosure and amp from crutchfield, they didn't know much about subs and they went to circuitcity and got a Bazooka set (which the guy said was equal, he was an idiot) of 2 10''s, I'm not quite sure if Bazooka is good at all, I know in all hobbies there's one brand that really *****.. (w/ paintball it's brass eagle, with skateboards it's nash, so on so on) I'm not sure that this brand is the crap-brand of subs. If it is please tell me there's still some time to take them back before I break them lol and spend a couple more bucks for the visionik but only if it's REALLY worth all of the trouble, cuz it would be a ***** to exchange and order.. and wait, and uninstall and what not. Give me your input.

Btw, my goal is for the people outside of my cherokee to hear my bass, right now that goal is no accomplished.

if you could msg me on aim: exile002 it would be much appreciated.

eaglemn05 is offline that one dude

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by exile
    The amp is an EL series "Bazooka" amp. I remember reading 300 watt somewhere but it's not the 300 watt mono I don't think. The reason I am so retarded about the amp/subs is because I had a bunch of money to spend on subs before xmas, so I put the subs on my list of **** to get for xmas and then spent all of my cash. I asked for a visionik set of 2 12''s w/ enclosure and amp from crutchfield, they didn't know much about subs and they went to circuitcity and got a Bazooka set (which the guy said was equal, he was an idiot) of 2 10''s, I'm not quite sure if Bazooka is good at all, I know in all hobbies there's one brand that really *****.. (w/ paintball it's brass eagle, with skateboards it's nash, so on so on) I'm not sure that this brand is the crap-brand of subs. If it is please tell me there's still some time to take them back before I break them lol and spend a couple more bucks for the visionik but only if it's REALLY worth all of the trouble, cuz it would be a ***** to exchange and order.. and wait, and uninstall and what not. Give me your input.

Btw, my goal is for the people outside of my cherokee to hear my bass, right now that goal is no accomplished.

if you could msg me on aim: exile002 it would be much appreciated.
    what would the "bad" brand of subs...i've always heard that Rockford Fosgate is the best

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was wondering that too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What the hell are you guys talking about?

CarAudioAddict is offline What did I do now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are many "bad" brands in car audio. Some of them are: Pyramid, Legacy, Xplod, Audiovox. But there are more.

The subs should be placed facing backwards and as far to the rear of of the vehicle as possible, this will help to eliminate cancelation.

Now just follow diplexers advice
    Go ahead and turn your radio up as loud as it will go without distortion (as long as its not to late for the neighbors) and slowly turn the gain on the amp up till just before distortion starts to occur. The bass boost is like a loud button, but don't crank it up cause if you have a beefy amp you could roast some subs; again a safe setting would be around 3 db of gain. Remember, you don't want to give your door or rear speakers a lot of bass, they are there for mid to high range

Vehicles:

1986 Chevy S-10 http://s10.trainzhaven.com
    2002 Pontiac Sunfire Website not created yet.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast