User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Aftermarket Wiring Harness in my car? (And amp wiring question)

idaho immortal is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aftermarket Wiring Harness in my car? (And amp wiring question)

Just got a 1990 audi 200 turbo. I love the car, but instead of a radio, it came equipped with a hole in the dash.

Everywhere I go, places have been giving me the wrong wiring harness. Everywhere on the internet shows me the wrong one. I'm beginning to think it may be just my car. Is there any way I could figure out what this harness is and buy one to fit it? Hard wiring is an option, but I'd really rather keep that as the last option.

I also need to know how to get accurate measurements for my amp wiring. I'm not sure as to the best way to make the measurements. What are the techniques I could use to measure it close enough to where I won't spend too much more than necessary?

And, where would be the best place for me to ground the amp at?

Dr. Hertz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Aftermarket Wiring Harness in my car? (And amp wiring question)

With out a doubt, the best thing thing to do at this point is to just go ahead and hardwire the radio in, other than the added time I am unaware of any reason not to, considering the car's age it shouldn't be a problem down the line. As for measuring the power wire, assuming you run it down the same side as your battery, and mount the amp(s) on that side, near the back seat in the trunk area 17 feet should be sufficient. The last thing you want, however is to be short on wire....even if you're buying 1/0 wire a few extra feet will only cost $12. The ground point in older body on frame cars like yours is not too difficult. Be certain it's not only in a proper, paint free spot, but secure, and not pivoting or spinning. If you aren't going directly to the frame try a spot in the spare well. A meter can be helpful when doing this, checking continuity between spots, or even checking resistance. I just had a thought...battery not in back? Good luck, don't forget a fuse @ battery, and as short a ground length as possible.....<18" is the recommended, but in real world not always possible.

idaho immortal is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hertz View Post
    With out a doubt, the best thing thing to do at this point is to just go ahead and hardwire the radio in, other than the added time I am unaware of any reason not to, considering the car's age it shouldn't be a problem down the line. As for measuring the power wire, assuming you run it down the same side as your battery, and mount the amp(s) on that side, near the back seat in the trunk area 17 feet should be sufficient. The last thing you want, however is to be short on wire....even if you're buying 1/0 wire a few extra feet will only cost $12. The ground point in older body on frame cars like yours is not too difficult. Be certain it's not only in a proper, paint free spot, but secure, and not pivoting or spinning. If you aren't going directly to the frame try a spot in the spare well. A meter can be helpful when doing this, checking continuity between spots, or even checking resistance. I just had a thought...battery not in back? Good luck, don't forget a fuse @ battery, and as short a ground length as possible.....<18" is the recommended, but in real world not always possible.
    I hadn't given any thought to using a meter with it. I'll definitely do that. Will this make it harder to use the head unit in another car?

What I'm really getting at, as far as wire lengths go though, is what is the best way to measure length under the seat, and for the amount of wire fed under the hood to the battery, and in the dash to the radio? I know I'll need some slack, but, my grandmas medical expenses are well expensive, and it is the holidays and alas - I'm broke. I'd wait if I wasn't such a music junkie. Can't hardly stand going without a system of some sort. Call me cheap, but it's really just an effort to save as much money as possible.

Dr. Hertz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your loved one.....

About the headunit in another car, just keep the radio plug as long as possible, then when you remove it, cut from the vehicle side. If you want to take the time to mock up the run with some primary wire prior to running the power wire you could do that. Pull the sills, back seat and make the run with the primary then see how much it equals.

Closed Thread