Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Protect light and wiring/fuse concerns

CrymsonX is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon8 Protect light and wiring/fuse concerns

Ok, here is my position.

I own two 12" MTX Subs. Single voice coil at 250rms. I am running two Jensen XA2250 Amps at 350watts RMS each. I am using 1Gauge wire from the battery terminal to my dist block and then 4 gauge from that to each amp, and then running one sub off of each amp at 4 ohms bridged. I have a non fused ground dist block setup at 4 gauge wire from the amps and the one gauge from the dist block to the metal of the vehicle. i only run the amps at about 3/4 power because i dont want to over power the subs. Under the hood is a 60 amp AGU fuse, and in the dist block i HAD two 30 amp agu fuses, in each amp is two 25 amp blade fuses. My first question is this...

If i have two 25 amp blade fuses in my amp and i am running it bridged, does that mean i am drawing 50 amps? because if this is true then i am pulling a total of about 100 amps on both amps through the dist block.

i blew like four fuses in the dist block and so i went to the guys (Circuit City)who installed the amps and wiring kit (i got a two amp kit from rockford-fosgate) and he said that i was blowing the 30 amp fuses because i was pulling more (the 50apms from the amp) then they could handle. So he gave me two 60 amp fuses and i put them in and things were fine for about 20 minutes on my ride home. and then the system started sounding bad again. It sounded like the speaker had to take time to rev up and get power, because during small bass parts in songs, i couldnt hear the bass, but during extended bass sections, like bass cds it would get goig again, but not as they used to. So when i got home i took a look at the fuses (under the hood, the dist block and the amps) and none were blown, but my protect lights were one. Now whenever i turn on the amps they are fine, but if i put any starong power (like a nice bass hit) the protect light comes on. So, on to my next question.

Do i need to get a higher amp fuse for under the hood? would this solve the problem? I went out and ordered a 100amp ANL fuse (AGUs only go up to 80) and fuse holder and got it yesterday.

One thing i did find out when going over the wiring myself is that somehow the place that they had attached my ground wire to the car had become very corroded and rusted, so i brused it up and cleaned it up and attched it to a better place. dont know if that means anything but i figured id add it in case.

Any help or info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

thumpin90gts is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Protect light and wiring/fuse concerns

yes if you go to a 100 amp ANL fuse you shouldne have any problem
    you donot have to fuse your grounds

Closed Thread