0 Post(s)

Voltage Drop Help?

My electrical consist of
    242 max 178 at idle amps DC Power Alt
    big 3 in 1/0 doubled up
    duralast gold upfront.
    2 power runs of 1/0 klmx to the back
    2 ground runs of 1/0 klmx to the back
    back batteries are 3 C&D 135AH batts all connected in 1/0 and 1/0 to the amp

The amp is a RD D9. I dont even have it giving full power. The amp is playing at .8ohms.

However the front battery is at 13.3-13.5 full tilt at idle. At the amp its at 12-12.25. I am losing 1-1.5 volts somewhere. Why would this happen?

REFS-
    Bought from-Basscort2009, Exige, Mobeious, cutdawg84, Galaticmonkey, mrwigglezdj, jack0409, DC_Power_Rob, dappa5, blkbeater
    Traded with-Dbboom
    Sold to-Busabob, acubsfan, integra88, bigbear, armed, jb513, mindjob360, pickup1, bushj311, callitdone, lysfys, Treads4heads, larnerj, grassroots, alex5857

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Voltage Drop Help?

Quote Originally Posted by SWFL View Post
    My electrical consist of
    242 max 178 at idle amps DC Power Alt
    big 3 in 1/0 doubled up
    duralast gold upfront.
    2 power runs of 1/0 klmx to the back
    2 ground runs of 1/0 klmx to the back
    back batteries are 3 C&D 135AH batts all connected in 1/0 and 1/0 to the amp

The amp is a RD D9. I dont even have it giving full power. The amp is playing at .8ohms.

However the front battery is at 13.3-13.5 full tilt at idle. At the amp its at 12-12.25. I am losing 1-1.5 volts somewhere. Why would this happen?

Man I'm having the exact same problem. If I figure it out I will let you know.

Headunit: Clarion nz500
    Front Stage: Kicker 6X8 (2) Kicker 5 1/4 (2)
    Rear Stage: Kicker 5 1/4 (2)
    Mid Amp: Hifonics Titan TXi 4408
    Sub Amp: Audiopipe 1500d
    Subs:Alpine Type R 10'' (2)
    Box: TBH 4th Order @ 45hz
    Wire: 1 run of 1/0awg Big 3 1/0awg
    Alt: Stock 130 amp

loudsw2 is offline music?? what music??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if anything is in line it will do that are they straight runs of 0 gauge or do they have fuses in line? or anything of the sort

TEAM PUBLIC DISTURBANCE
    WOOFER COOKER PRO 1, 15*.* DBEEZ
    NY
    refs: ciullo, tangelo95
    sold to - blackkila.gtr, Fach
    bought from - blackbonnie, Louisiana_CRX

SWFL is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes two fuses per run of 1/0 a fuse upfront right after the front battery and another fuse at the back right before the back batteries and then another fuse on each 1/0 run to the amp from the batteries.

REFS-
    Bought from-Basscort2009, Exige, Mobeious, cutdawg84, Galaticmonkey, mrwigglezdj, jack0409, DC_Power_Rob, dappa5, blkbeater
    Traded with-Dbboom
    Sold to-Busabob, acubsfan, integra88, bigbear, armed, jb513, mindjob360, pickup1, bushj311, callitdone, lysfys, Treads4heads, larnerj, grassroots, alex5857

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ya im having the same issue right now with my single 0 gauge with a fuse up front but im doing double 0 runs straight with no fuses but i have noticed that i am dropping a volt from front to back and my friend has two runs with 1 fuse in each line and he is dropping almost 2 volts, i would say do a little test, take a small piece of 0 gauge (like a few inches) put O ring terminals on both sides and just replace ur fuse with the 0 gauge to see if it fixes the problem

TEAM PUBLIC DISTURBANCE
    NY

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea i am gonna meausre the voltage before and after the fuse holders and see what happens gonna go do that now and try to test my grounds as well

REFS-
    Traded with-Dbboom

njaykaplan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you have your back batterys wired to your alternator or to your duralast gold? Hopefully off the alternator, but i would get rid of that durlast gold. Maybe even loadtest the C&Ds in the back. You check your grounds as well? Having a good charging wire and ground to the back batterys, i dont see why you'd drop that much, but then again that is a 5k watt amp. 13.5 isnt a bad drop either, but thats because you have upgraded. Check what i mentioned though and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by 02parkave View Post
    in conclusion, buy one, or jesus will kill a puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSGP View Post
    im a veteran car audio guy and i've blown almost everything....
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Did I mention that Im working on uncovering a sinister plot that involves eD funding global terrorism, and an illegal dog fighting ring? Every eD purchase helps terrorists kill babies and little puppies.

You really want that on your conscience?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

let me know cause i am curious lol, this is actually my most recent testings too, was gonna run the wire today/tomorrow to find out for sure but def let me know what u get (shoot me a pm if ya could) =)

TEAM PUBLIC DISTURBANCE
    NY

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will be definetly be watching this thread. Im in Houston right now. I will be doing some testing when I get home tomorrow. If no solution is found by then hopefully I could come up with something when I get back.

pawn man is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4 more runs of o gauge

2010 American Record Holder 1st place Stock pro 1 158.0 DB

dbDrag Street C - 2008 Florida State Champ - 152.1
    IASCA ProStock 2 - 2008 Florida State Champ - 153.1
    2008 SpringBreak Nats - 2nd Place Advanced NoWall - 155.9

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by njaykaplan View Post
    Do you have your back batterys wired to your alternator or to your duralast gold? Hopefully off the alternator, but i would get rid of that durlast gold. Maybe even loadtest the C&Ds in the back. You check your grounds as well? Having a good charging wire and ground to the back batterys, i dont see why you'd drop that much, but then again that is a 5k watt amp. 13.5 isnt a bad drop either, but thats because you have upgraded. Check what i mentioned though and let us know.

True, but with that amp, voltage drops should not be that bad. Friend of mine had a RD pushing (2) BTL 15s in his Crown Vic, had a big class AB Rockford pushing the mids and highs (around 1000w total). His electrical was a pair of Alts, (POS db electral, and a Mechman 250) and a pair of G31s in the trunk, (forgot what he had up front) 2 runs of 1/0 gauge, and he was charging at 14.4, never dropped below 14v and that was idling...

Seems like the OP has a very sufficent electrical system for the amp, not sure why he is having the drops like he does.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

System is a work in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by njaykaplan View Post
    I agree 13.5 isn't that bad of a drop, but me and the OP are measuring 13.5 at the alt and front battery, but 12.5 at the amp full tilt at idle. He is trying to figure out why his voltage is dropping so low at his bass amp and not at the alt. I was doing some brainstorming and I might be wrong. If your batteries in the trunk are wired parallel with your battery upfront, the amp is drawing more off of the batteries in the back and the least off of the batteries in the trunk. Maybe since the battery closest to the alt isn't really having that much of a draw the alt isn't charging at its fullest potential when there is a draw at the back batteries. Maybe a diode isolator would help eventhough you would lose ~.4 volts if I am correct. Or maybe run the power wire back to you rear batteries directly off of you alt if its not already this way. Thats about all I could come up with.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well just got done playing around with it. playing juice box which is the most steady bass line and is constant so works good for voltage test. The front battery is around 13.2-13.35 at full tilt at idle. The back batteries are at 12.35-12.45. So roughly .75-.90 volt difference. I tested the voltage before and after the fuse holder on the two front holders that go to the back and same voltage on either side. I measured the back fuse holders that go to the batteries and its the same on the input and outout so the fuse holders i dont believe are taking any power if so its slight maybe but i dont see it.

Then at the back batteries its 12.25-12.5 roughly and at the amp with short runs and fuses between the amp and batteries the amp sees 12-12.25 so loosing a 1/4 of a volt in that small run. Only thing i can think of is the fuse holders possibly or i need another few runs of 1/0 front to back and i am going to do direct grounds to the frame off the batts in the back as well.

All connections seem fine. The two runs of 1/0 to the front are connected to the copper busbar that is connected to the front battery where the two runs of 1/0 from the alt are connected to.

REFS-
    Traded with-Dbboom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmm ya im a street a competitor so i don't have any batts in the back but i am dropping a volt from the batt up front to my amp, only thing in line is the fuse, hmm thats interesting

TEAM PUBLIC DISTURBANCE
    NY

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think i dont have enough runs of 1/0 only thing i can see. According to BCAE1.com on the votlage thing i will be dropping .8-1 volt and thats right bc i am dropping that much. I might add some more runs over the truck when i order some more and see if that helps if so then i will be running more power wire.

REFS-
    Traded with-Dbboom

Closed Thread