Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Trunk battery vs. HO alternator

I'm looking for an explanation of the advantages of a large trunk battery vs. a HO alternator.

Iv'e done alot of research, and from what I understand- A battery is just a large reserve that may help with quick voltage drops that an alternator cannot respond quickly enough to.

So, on long, extended bass notes, would a large trunk battery help at all with voltage drops? Or on these types of notes is the power coming straight from the alternator?

I dont' really have a dimming problem, but I do have large voltage drops on the long, extended bass lines (11.0 with headlights/AC on). Iv'e currently got a small trunk battery (20ah) and an 80 amp alt/big 3.

I KNOW the best thing to do would be the alternator, but frankly there's no way in hell I can afford one- they're extremely pricey for my car (4cylinder accord).

Would a battery help at all for my specific situation? I can get an hc1800 for very cheap, so i'm thinking of picking one up. And as a side question, would I be better off using it as a trunk battery on top of my crappy interstate starting battery, or replacing my starting battery completely and using the hc1800 underhood?

Thanks!

Sub: 15" Fi BTL
    Box: 4.4 ft^3 @32hz
    Frontstage: Cadence CWM-6
    Amps: BXI2006d & RF 450.2
    Batteries: Front- Kinetik HC1800 Rear- Odyssey PC625
    Deadener: RAAMat, ~65ft^2
    Refs: Goindef154, jonesy, Incriminator, basscort2009, THXdts, SPY, fasfocus00, Integra2468
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/enclosure-design-construction-help/412621-guide-aero-ports.html <--Read my Guide on Aero Ports!

DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Trunk battery vs. HO alternator

Same boat here... 98 Accord 4 cyl. The best alt you can even get is only a 140A rebuilt Denso unit and it's expensive

Ontop of that, I've got a 2200W rms amp in the mail, we'll see how it goes with stock alt, stock batt, and stock alt wiring

----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022

KyleBechtold is offline Buy my fuses $1.25ea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DNick454 View Post
    Same boat here... 98 Accord 4 cyl. The best alt you can even get is only a 140A rebuilt Denso unit and it's expensive

Ontop of that, I've got a 2200W rms amp in the mail, we'll see how it goes with stock alt, stock batt, and stock alt wiring
    even then you lose idle amperage

Ca.com

Bought from: Sctattooer, Korn4Life, wgsj_fortvalley, bk12321, Queball, bumpincrv, Splmaster, 310w6, Buck, liljojo4711
    Everyone I have Bought from has been awesome.. feel safe with any of them..

Sold To: Iakona, dustinr, squeak12, Worstenemy453, BeAlLsTaR13, rmzsuzuki89, c_b_, mendon mafia, dropped_tb, SPLluminator, violence., power-fanatic07, schackel, michaellane, aviator08, kodak314, dropped_tb
    Ref Link
    Tamparacing
    -b15spec, 727kid, pshull727, Nt_Hardcore

Want/Need ANL fuses cheap 150a 200a 250a 300a
    CLICK ME

halfwaytohell is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

run less power.

DBBOOM is offline DWN4MYN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Battery will be more benefitial for reserve for extended bass notes. A reserve battery will have a greater effect at maintaining your voltage, as it acts a storage bank. But with a regular alt it will take longer periods of low volume play to bring everything back to a full charge. I went with batteries first and then added a HO alt later on.

Natural selection at work.

7ender is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alright, so since it sounds like a large battery will help out, I think i'll go pick one up this weekend.

Now- should I replace my starter battery with it or just add it to the trunk? I'm a bit concerned about my starter battery killing my brand new hc1800, because it's a fairly old battery (dated from 06) so i'm not sure how much longer it'll last and what it's resting voltage is at.

Refs: Goindef154, jonesy, Incriminator, basscort2009, THXdts, SPY, fasfocus00, Integra2468
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/enclosure-design-construction-help/412621-guide-aero-ports.html <--Read my Guide on Aero Ports!

smoka is offline Drink beer save water

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7ender View Post
    Alright, so since it sounds like a large battery will help out, I think i'll go pick one up this weekend.

Now- should I replace my starter battery with it or just add it to the trunk? I'm a bit concerned about my starter battery killing my brand new hc1800, because it's a fairly old battery (dated from 06) so i'm not sure how much longer it'll last and what it's resting voltage is at.
    I would get rid of the interstate and the odyssey. Then save up for a second hc1800 in the near future.

You can mix them, but it will most likely shorten the lifespan of all the batts.

7ender is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, that's what I was thinking.

I'm really not sure what to do. I really don't have the money for two hc1800's...as badly as I may want them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The real problem is maintaining 14v. Amps are much more efficient at 14v than at 12v. They put out more power there etc. A battery does not discharge at 14v. It is charging at that voltage. No matter who tells you otherwise, they are dead wrong. So, a battery in the back will prevent your system from dropping below 12v for a while, but it is also a parasitic drain on the alternator. The more current you draw from it, the more current it draws from the alternator when the alt is able to raise the voltage back up.

All in all, there is no replacement or alternative to a high output alternator. Batteries are recommended on this site as a bandaid because a lot of people here are confused about efficiency etc. The attitude on this site is: "find a sub that can hold a million watts because more watts equal deebeez! Find an amp that puts out a bajillion watts to power the sub! Leave stock alt, do the big three, add a battery to the back and call it a day." Then they act like they know what they are talking about.

If you have to run a stock alt, you need to find the most efficient subs you can. Then find the most efficient amp you can. Wire your vehicle for minimum resisitance.

plugitin is offline She Bangs plugitin is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    The real problem is maintaining 14v. Amps are much more efficient at 14v than at 12v. They put out more power there etc. A battery does not discharge at 14v. It is charging at that voltage. No matter who tells you otherwise, they are dead wrong. So, a battery in the back will prevent your system from dropping below 12v for a while, but it is also a parasitic drain on the alternator. The more current you draw from it, the more current it draws from the alternator when the alt is able to raise the voltage back up.

All in all, there is no replacement or alternative to a high output alternator. Batteries are recommended on this site as a bandaid because a lot of people here are confused about efficiency etc. The attitude on this site is: "find a sub that can hold a million watts because more watts equal deebeez! Find an amp that puts out a bajillion watts to power the sub! Leave stock alt, do the big three, add a battery to the back and call it a day." Then they act like they know what they are talking about.

If you have to run a stock alt, you need to find the most efficient subs you can. Then find the most efficient amp you can. Wire your vehicle for minimum resisitance.
    i agree with you somewhat...there is no replacement for a HO alternator. When you put more batteries in your car, they all have to be charged by a lil alternator and it puts a lot more strain on that alternator to keep up.

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

sexy is offline mind reader

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i have added a second stock alt to a few cars some were mine some were friends. you may have room enough for two but i dont know 98 accords that well so i am not sure. with stock alts your idle voltage stays the same and you spend a lot less money. alts over batts for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

its not voltage...its amps. You don't lose idle amperage when you swap to a HO alternator

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

Boomintempo is offline <---Old tempo setup, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by plugitin View Post
    its not voltage...its amps. You don't lose idle amperage when you swap to a HO alternator
    Depends on your idle speed...some of us idle around 600rpm

DBBOOM is offline DWN4MYN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by plugitin View Post
    Depends on the HO alt and pulley ratio that it is equipped with.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomintempo View Post
    True, but that can be compensated for with a pulley swap.

Natural selection at work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomintempo View Post
    lol...

Team DC Audio

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Tag List