Closed Thread

Reload Thread: I Need Your Help...

Cojoroh is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I Need Your Help...

ok, i installed a sub and amp in my new car, and am having some minor issues. first, here's my setup...
    12" mtx sub.
    300rms (600max) kenwood amp.
    power lead connected directly to battery.
    remote turn on lead tapped into existing wire in trunk.
    speaker signal tapped at factory amp output to rear speakers (speaker level inputs used).
    ground bolted in trunk (tested for good connection).

sound through speakers and sub are clear with no interference or distortion.

here are my problems (all problems occur within first minute or two after startup)...
    seatbelt chime is delayed and distorted (i suspect due to the amp turning on).
    CD player AND radio skips 2 times a couple of minutes after starting the car, but is fine thereafter.
    SOMETIMES, the stereo does not start when the car is started (even though it was left on when the car was turned off), and when this happens, it takes 2 presses of the on/off button to turn it on.
    SOMETIMES (only within first 5 minutes or so after startup), the simulated ticking sound through the speakers for the turn signal gets "confused" and does not tick with the blinking signal light, but will eventually "catch up" and get in sync.

after the first 5 minutes or so, i have no problems, so it leads me to believe my connections are good. my only guess is that the turning on of the amp is putting a strain on the electrical system, but this happens even though my stereo is off...so i fail to see how just the powering of the amp is putting that much of a strain. i have gotten no help from the other websites...if you have knowledge in this area, PLEASE help me!

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I Need Your Help...

simulated ticking sound through speakers? what kinda car or hu do you have. also im pretty sure im wrong but i'll throw this out there anyway, the turnsignals speed is slightly based off of the engines rpms,and with a lot of electrical strain your rpms will drop, so maybe that has somehting to do with it. once again, don't quote me on that

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have a 2003 saab 9-3 sports sedan. can't anyone offer some good advice? i was hoping someone here could help me.

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

****, sorry for tryin to help, maybe look into a saab forum since it sounds more like vehicle specific stuff,

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cojoroh

12" mtx sub.
    300rms (600max) kenwood amp.
    power lead connected directly to battery.
    remote turn on lead tapped into existing wire in trunk.

Where can you connect the remote in the trunk? It should come from the HU remote.
    here are my problems (all problems occur within first minute or two after startup)...
    seatbelt chime is delayed and distorted (i suspect due to the amp turning on).
    CD player AND radio skips 2 times a couple of minutes after starting the car, but is fine thereafter.
    SOMETIMES, the stereo does not start when the car is started (even though it was left on when the car was turned off), and when this happens, it takes 2 presses of the on/off button to turn it on.
    SOMETIMES (only within first 5 minutes or so after startup), the simulated ticking sound through the speakers for the turn signal gets "confused" and does not tick with the blinking signal light, but will eventually "catch up" and get in sync.

You have wiring issues. Wherever you got the power wire for the head unit is interfering with the car wiring, and not feeding constant power to the deck.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the headunit is untouched (stock, never removed). signal inputs were tapped at output of amp under driver's seat. for the remote turn on, any wire that does not receive power when the car is off should suffice, correct? i belive the wire i tapped into for this is a wire that powers the factory amp (additional one for upgraded speaker system...option not installed on my car).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Obviously you've chosen the wrong wire for something. Probably the remote. Perhaps you grabbed a wire for the seatbelt warning - that'd explain the chime being funky.

Watch the power indicator on your amp after you start the car (door closed, seatbelt on just as you would when driving) . You'll probably see it blinking. I bet your remote is not constant power.

dave
    ----------

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmm...so i tried unplugging the connector that the remote turn on wire is running into (by doing this, the amp does not turn on). even after this, i still got a skipping seat belt chime and the radio did not turn on with the car like it should have. so does this eliminate the remote turn on lead being the problem?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by the way, in my description above, i mentioned that my radio and cd player skips a couple of times after startup. well, it seems to skip exactly two times, about one minute after starting the car. it's the same everytime. after those two skips, i never have a single problem with my sub...this is the reason why i think the power supply and connections are good (granted, maybe not during the first minute or so after starting the car), but i'm thinking if there was a fault in the power supply and/or connections, it would show up at random times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Seems awfully coincidental that your problems started after an amp installation, though it's possible I guess.

Yank the chime module and see if the system still works.

Does the radio also "skip", or just on CD? Maybe the deck has issues.. but man that's coincidence.

dave
    ----------

Closed Thread