Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Bypass Factory Amp [w/ PICS]

SwaGGeReR is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bypass Factory Amp [w/ PICS]

I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT with the Infinity Sound System. Originally, my speakers had no sound coming out of them. I thought it was because of a faulty stock head unit. Then, I installed my aftermarked Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD head unit--still no sound. Now, there are two things that could be faulty: either the factory amp or a blown fuse or something. Anyways, I'm trying to bypass the factory amp and see if that fixes the problem. I've removed my rear seats and side panel and removed the factory amp.

Where do I go from here? I've heard you have to cut and splice the wires but I'm not sure. I don't want to run wires from the head unit to each speaker as that would be a PITA. I know there's an easier way to do it since all the wires are connected to the stock amp. Detailed instructions would be nice since I'm kind of an audio noob .

Wiring Diagram (click on the first link [#1]): http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Suppo...yundai+tiburon

Pics:

x1le is offline I'm certified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Bypass Factory Amp [w/ PICS]

First off, was there any harness that originally connected to your stock radio that you didn't use for the pioneer? And make sure you have the blue/white wire on your car harness (if you have one) connected to the pioneer unit also. You most likely will be able to turn the factory amp on.

And second, do you have factory tweeters and a sub? If so, if you bypass the amp you are going to lose them.

But basically to bypass the amp you just connect the speakers wires on the input harness to the same speaker wires on the output harness.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like you have a single harness for the factory radio tho. My guess is you don't have the blue/white remote wire hooked up.

I INSTALL STUFF.
    mecp advanced.
    i do it all.

BassMechkanic is offline the OLD in Old School

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

on installs like this, experience is a plus, if you dont know, you should pay someone to do it correctly.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^ Yes, I have connected the amp turn-on wire. But, even with the old head unit, the speakers wouldn't work.

To bypass the amp, this is my understanding of what to do: (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Cut each of the white connector ends off of the wire sets in order to gain access to the wires.

2. Following the wiring diagram below, splice the input wires with their corresponding output wires. The inputs are colored the same as their corresponding outputs. Since I have front tweeters, won't I just twist the output of those together with the output of the front door speakers and then splice those with the front input? (for example: there is only one right front input but two right front outputs; one for tweeter and one for door speaker.)

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Suppo...yundai+tiburon

OUTPUT:

INPUT:

tEh ShOcKeR is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BassMechkanic View Post
    on installs like this, experience is a plus, if you dont know, you should pay someone to do it correctly.
    You give horrible advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SwaGGeReR View Post
    ^ Yes, I have connected the amp turn-on wire. But, even with the old head unit, the speakers wouldn't work.

To bypass the amp, this is my understanding of what to do: (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Cut each of the white connector ends off of the wire sets in order to gain access to the wires.

2. Following the wiring diagram below, splice the input wires with their corresponding output wires. The inputs are colored the same as their corresponding outputs. Since I have front tweeters, won't I just twist the output of those together with the output of the front door speakers and then splice those with the front input? (for example: there is only one right front input but two right front outputs; one for tweeter and one for door speaker.)
    I am 99.99% sure you will be able to get the factory amp to turn on, but if you want to bypass it then yes that is how you'd do it.

As far as connecting the tweeters and mids, you can't. Only the mids. Your factory amp (along with all the stock component systems I've worked with) actually double as a crossover) If you were to twist the mids and tweeters together, you would be changing the impedance I believe.

I INSTALL STUFF.
    mecp advanced.
    i do it all.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So then I would just leave the tweeter wires along with all the other wires that don't have corresponding inputs unconnected and tape them off? A guy from crutchfield tech support said to twist the wires together but idk if he was thinking about the amp havng a buil in xover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes sir. If I were doing it, I'd use a pair of sidestrippers and some extra wire in order to connect them without destroying the harness'. But if you are going to cut the harness', you mine as well only cut the wires you will actually need and leave the others alone.

I wouldn't twist the tweets and mids together, personally.

I INSTALL STUFF.
    mecp advanced.
    i do it all.

BassMechkanic is offline the OLD in Old School

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tEh ShOcKeR View Post
    You give horrible advice.

this is a little harder than most DIYS,

if i were to do this i would do as x1le said,
    strip back wire and add wire (solder & tape), would not cut factory harness off, i would tie mids & tweeter together on same channel using a cap on tweets, using some speed wire run it to back of radio or amp that is giving new power. 15 minutes

Tehgregzor is offline Enjoys loud noises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice headunit buddy. Are you planning on replacing the speakers ever? If you aren't, might i suggest buying just some passive crossovers? Then you could connect your mids and tweets, and not change your impedance.

95 Trans Am Convertible
    LT1 Corvette Motor
    My brand new project. Literally the most stock system i've had since 16.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Woot! Bypass is complete. I only hooked up the mids...wasn't sure if twisting the mids+tweets together would mess with the impedance. ^I'll have to look into passive crossovers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

glad to hear it worked out for ya

I INSTALL STUFF.
    mecp advanced.
    i do it all.

ace_800 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Isn't the speakers in Infinity and blose systems not normally 4ohm? I know I had to take all the speakers out of my Nissan when I put a new HU in cause the blose speakers and amp were 8ohm.

Current set up: 2010 Buick Enclave, 2 12" MMATS PROCASTS 2.5@35, MMATS D200HC
    Hertz 165XL comps in front door, Alpine 1507 bridged
    Pioneer Z150bt Nav, Audio Technix all around.

66 Pontiac GTO, modified stock radio, Crossfire CFA 302, Kicker KS6.2's in the front kicks, Crossfire CFA 452 for the 6x9's I need.

Closed Thread