Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: strangest wiring problem ever, PLEASE HELP!!! (thanks!)

dragonplayboy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

strangest wiring problem ever, PLEASE HELP!!! (thanks!)

hey everyone, if someone can help me figure this out, i'll be forever in your debt, and i'll appreciate it more than ever.

ok, just a quick background, i've loved car audio since i was 15 (i'm now 22) and it has been pretty much my sole hobby for 6 years now. i've done over 50 installs (all successful) and i'd like to believe i know what i'm doing, but today made me put my head in my hands for the first time ever.

the scenario - my friend has a 1992 toyota camry v6 and today i was to put in a cadence 6.5" component set and a US Acoustics 2050 amplifier (50watts x 2)
    his HU is a kenwood one, i'm not sure of model number but is about a year and a half to two years old, which has always worked flawlessly and was well installed by sound advice. so i popped the deck out, and plugged the rca into the back of it and used the lead that was convienantly in the middle of the rca (go fosgate! ) and ran the wires to the trunk area, and then ran the speaker wires (14 gague insulated monster cable speaker wire) to the doors from the trunk (for the components). after a couple of fun ol' hours in the florida sun i had the components installed and the doors back together, and let me tell you the grommets in the doors of those camrys are serious bastards to work with.

ok, then i ran the power wire (4 gague fosgate power wire) from the positive terminal of the battery thru the firewall (oh so carefully) under the carpet and into the trunk, then connected it to a fosgate 4ga in, 2 8ga out fuse block so we could add another amp and some subs later. i put a 60 amp fuse in the holder under the hood, and a 20 amp in one block of the distrobution block. then ran 8ga wire out to the amp, screwed into the bottom of the trunk for a ground (used a flathead to scrape some paint off first) and ran 8ga wire from that too, wired everything up, put the fuse in the front, turned the cd player on, and expected to be all excited about the new speakers, when all i saw was the "protection" red LED on the amp flash on for about half a second.

pissed as i could ever be, i started checking everything, and eventually decided that i had a bad ground. so i selected an even better (although harder to work with) spot in the trunk, sanded it down to bare metal, drilled a self tapping screw in it, busted out the multimeter, and made sure that i had 12 volts off/14 volts running for the amp. confident that this would fix it, we put the fuse back in and fired it up, same thing with the LED. this is at like 8pm tonight. i go up and check the fuse under the hood, it's perfect, i check the fuse in the distro block, it's groovy, i use the voltimeter to check the power wire every step of the way to make sure it has good power, it's perfect, i double check the amp turn on lead is wired right, and that the rca's are good, try again, same LED.

oh just fyi, the fuse rating in the amp is 15 amp in case that might be key. then i unscrewed the amp and took it up to the engine bay, and took a short speaker wire, touched it to the battery terminals and to the terminals on the amp (positive to the remote 12volts and to positive, negative to negative) and again the **** red led.
    oh, right before i did this i went and got my phoenix gold 475 titanium amp and tried to hook it up with the wires i ran for the us acoustics amp, and the protection light on the PG amp came on, which pissed me off too. anyway then i took the pg amp (which worked perfectly before) and hooked it up directly the same way to the battery, and it did the protection LED thing too, then i took both amps over and tried to hook them up directly to my car's battery and they both did the same thing with the red protection led's, then i called my girlfriend to come over with her car that i put a very similar us acoustics amp in that has been working perfectly for like 4 years now, i unscrewed the connections from her amp, and plugged in the new us acoustics amp and then it blew out the fuse on the 2050!

then i screwed her amp back in, and as soon as i did so it sparked really big and blew the fuse under the hood. then i made sure that i hadn't touched any wires (which i didn't, and i never had in any of the three cars) and got a new fuse out and put it in her fuse holder by the battery, and the second i did, the fuse blew out again!

so now i think i have three botched amps, one pissed off friend and a sad girlfriend.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    thank you guys soooooo much.

lombardo is offline bass massage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: strangest wiring problem ever, PLEASE HELP!!! (thanks!)

By chance did you wire the speakers to too low of an ohmage? Or are any of the speaker wires toughing each other? When I wired my sub two of my wires were touching and creating a short circuit, didn't blow the amp though. And one time I had wired it wrong. Both times my amp went into protection mode.

2000 black Audi A6 2.8
    stock components
    RE HC15"
    tsunami 1100d (kills kids)
    building a 4^3cuft tuned to mid 30's

some nasty sauce mixed in there.

AIM - fincorny82 2000
    E-mail - [email protected]

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

this really isn't you problem but:

4gauge from batt means you need a final 4 gauge ground too, not an 8 gauge.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Sux to be you man.

For the life of me I can't think of any situation that would toast 3 amps in a row, short of reversing the power wires. But you're not a n00b, so...umm...

The common elements of this install ... speakers, RCA's, power connections. Something's hosed.

Is one of the speakers shorted to ground? Or to +12V inside the door? That's where I'd look.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well you see, when i tried out the other amp(s) all i did was hook them up to the power, ground and remote wires, and they immediately went into protect, but i had a perfect 12 volt connection! WHAT THE HELL????

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well the protection leds could come up for many reasons. two common ones are a bad ground and impedance lower thatn the amp can handle.

since u used a 4awg into distro, ti's better to use a 4 awg ground too as paikiah said.

i am pretty sure the speakers are 4ohms, so that should get rid of that possibility.

i am not sure why u put the amp straight to the batt w speaker wires, cuz i dont really see a reasonin for this, n if u wanted to see whether it was the power, u could have just checked in the trunk w/o disconnecting much.

try it w just th power n remote wires. then w rca/speaker wire. trial n error kinda thing.

or if the usx amp is still workin. try to put it in ur car or in a ccar that works.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the speakers are 4 ohms, but the amp went into protection immediately with just power and ground (and remote, either if i used the cd player remote, or just a seperate 12volt source) and no speakers or rca's hooked up to it! it goes into friggin protection the second you touch power and ground and remote wires to it, and nothing is beefed on the phoenix gold amp for sure, that thing is a tank!
    also i think a 2 foot ground at 8ga, when i have 8ga running from the distro block is more than ample, there's not going to be any real difference in current or anything like that.

maniackilla is offline cout<<"c++";

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ive mistaken my power/ground before and smoked my amp. i fixed it though. just make sure, i was paranoid as hell when i hooked my amp back up

davidfre21 is offline Is just a lil racist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maniackilla
    ive mistaken my power/ground before and smoked my amp. i fixed it though. just make sure, i was paranoid as hell when i hooked my amp back up
    i went through 7 fuses because of this the other day, then i realize what i did wrong and felt like a ******* the rest of the day

IA FTW!!!
    Team Sundown... what?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well we all make mistakes, i just hope this one hasn't cost me like 350 dollars lol

miztahsparklez is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the ONLY reason a protection mode light would show on a us acoustics amp would be when the fuse on the amp blows up. or so they claim. the light is only there for that purpose.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well i chewed thru like 3 fuses so i don't think that's it lol
    i appreciate your input tho, anything you guys can do to help is awesome! thanks again!

DaBaller504 is offline Livin Loud In Da Blazer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the gains were cranked the whole way would that send it into protection as soon as the speaker wires were connected, just a thought?

1995 Chevy Silverado, K1500 With 350 Cubic Inches of Raw Power.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

no speaker wires or rca's were connected, but i did get to the bottom of it and the phoenix gold amp works like a champ. i'm sending the other one back to the factory.

thanks guys

DaBaller504 is offline Livin Loud In Da Blazer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thats good hopefully it works out for you

1995 Chevy Silverado, K1500 With 350 Cubic Inches of Raw Power.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast